Butter or coconut oil

Options
RisiM
RisiM Posts: 180 Member
Does anyone know which is better for me in my breakfast coffee please.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RisiM wrote: »
    Does anyone know which is better for me in my breakfast coffee please.
    Whichever makes you least likely to eat a croissant along with your coffee?

Seriously, though, I doubt there's a general rule that would apply regardless of individual differences.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The choice of butter or coconut oil would come down to personal taste to me with both being fat only. I've tried each and I've tried both together in a cup o'joe. My personal choice is coconut oil rather than butter but some mornings I just can't face all that fat in a cup of coffee and use HWC or forgive me purists, half and half.

I have other ways of maintaining my choice of very high fat intake and I'm not into intermittent fasting so Bullet Proof Coffee is an option versus requirement for me.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    The choice of butter or coconut oil would come down to personal taste to me with both being fat only

Butter is not fat only; for morning coffee a la BPC you'd want clarified butter or ghee, which has had the milk proteins separated out.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think coconut oil has more MCT's in it which can boost ketones. If higher ketone levels is what you are going for, for theraputic reasons, I would use coconut oil.

I tend to use cconut oil (about 1/2 tsp) with HWC or butter (again not too much).
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I used coconut oil for the first year, and butter for the last 3. No difference other than taste. My morning coffee is 15g butter and 30mls of cream blended with a stick blender. This keeps me happy until lunch time.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I personally use both ...1 tbsp. of coconut oil and 1 tbsp. of kerrygold unsalted butter with HWC and sugarfree vanilla sryup... :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
    Coconut oil gives you beneficial lauric acid and a little bit of the short chain caprylic and capric acid for brain energy.
    Butter gives you butyric acid which is good gut bacteria food.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to man up and just drink my coffee black - who needs an extra hundred (or two or three) calories everyday. If I have to have something in my coffee, I wait till my afternoon cup.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to man up and just drink my coffee black - who needs an extra hundred (or two or three) calories everyday. If I have to have something in my coffee, I wait till my afternoon cup.

I used to do CO, but I'd rather eat my calories so I stopped. Plus, I got really tired of coconut. :lol:
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I like butter for taste in my coffee and coconut oil in my steel cut oatmeal. So both get some breakfast action!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It depends on which works with your plan better. Coconut oil is a good supply of medium chain triglycerides (MCT) and butter is more long-chain fat. If it doesn't matter for your plan, then go with taste and satiety.

I've done both at various times as plans and tastes evolved, currently not using either on a routine basis.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 TB CO and some half and half because then my 100 calorie mug of coffee can fuel me for hours. Without the coconut oil I get jittery with coffee + no food. 60 calories of coconut oil? All is good.

It's not necessary to have fats added to your coffee...so only do it if you find it helps you reach your health goals.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Just be like me and have coconut (MCT) oil, butter AND HWC. Win win win if you ask me.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use both like many others.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I couldn't hack the butter at all and coconut oil was okay, but I felt it really interfered with my coffee flavor enjoyment, so I started using heavy cream only. That was until I read a post about using mascarpone and I found some at my local Sprouts last weekend. Now I'm hooked!~ If I want it extremely decadant like a latte I'll use mascarpone and heavy cream.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I couldn't hack the butter at all and coconut oil was okay, but I felt it really interfered with my coffee flavor enjoyment, so I started using heavy cream only. That was until I read a post about using mascarpone and I found some at my local Sprouts last weekend. Now I'm hooked!~ If I want it extremely decadant like a latte I'll use mascarpone and heavy cream.

I've looked at mascarpone at the store often and wondered if I could really incorporate it...you have inspired me to give it a try!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've used only HWC for a year and a half. Is satisfying to me. I've tried it with butter, but prefer the HWC. I have tried it with coconut oil which but my body doesn't tolerate it. After consuming it I'm near ready for a colonoscopy (no joke)!

It comes down to personal preference, just as everything else does.
  • bowlerae
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I've used only HWC for a year and a half. Is satisfying to me. I've tried it with butter, but prefer the HWC. I have tried it with coconut oil which but my body doesn't tolerate it. After consuming it I'm near ready for a colonoscopy (no joke)!

It comes down to personal preference, just as everything else does.

That would be devastating for me! Does that include all coconut products or just the oil?

Also, for those using coconut oil in your coffee with little else (in terms of fat), do you prefer MCT or EVCO?

I use MCT but I also add other sources of fat, butter and HWC. I wonder how much of a difference it would make if I did EVCO.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't care for butter in my coffee.
    Unrefined coconut oil is OK (unrefined has the coconut taste)
    MCT Oil in coffee tastes like well...MCT Oil in Coffee. Any brand I've tried is not tasteless.

I've tried all of those in combination with each other, in combination with flavorings and each on their own.

I prefer unrefined coconut oil of the 3 but my real preference is just HWC.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    @kpk54 I use I think it's called Zenwise MCT oil I purchased on Amazon. I never used any MCT oil before that but it really doesn't have a taste to me.