menopause and onset of high blood pressure

Options
cstein71
cstein71 Posts: 38 Member
Has anyone also experienced sudden increase in blood pressure when they started menopause?

Replies

• Ta2Lydia
    Ta2Lydia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I did. I'm not very happy about that. My doctor put me on high blood pressure pills.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine went up a bit.

The book "The Estrogen Window" explains pretty well why that happens. It talks a lot about menopause and heart disease.
    There's quite a bit on blood pressure and cholesterol and their link with lower estrogen.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Mine did. I've run low my entire life (I mean like 90/60). All of a sudden when my cycles went wonky in my early 40's my blood pressure started increasing. It's running about 135/85 right now. It doesn't even really run in my family per se (although massive heart disease does). I will never take pb pills. Although the doctor I'm currently seeing (I can't stand her!) has pushed every type of drug she can with me. I irritate the crap out of her b/c I tell her to take a hike I'll do it my way. I won't do medication for it. Period. End of story. My husband's was genetically high when he hit his 50's and we keep in normal naturally. I plan on doing the same if I need to.

*Note to self* I NEED to get that Estrogen Window book. :p
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mine did. I've run low my entire life (I mean like 90/60). All of a sudden when my cycles went wonky in my early 40's my blood pressure started increasing. It's running about 135/85 right now. It doesn't even really run in my family per se (although massive heart disease does). I will never take pb pills. Although the doctor I'm currently seeing (I can't stand her!) has pushed every type of drug she can with me. I irritate the crap out of her b/c I tell her to take a hike I'll do it my way. I won't do medication for it. Period. End of story. My husband's was genetically high when he hit his 50's and we keep in normal naturally. I plan on doing the same if I need to.

*Note to self* I NEED to get that Estrogen Window book. :p

Mine was about 90/50 and then it swung like crazy for a while. Sometimes low, sometimes borderline high. Once high. I eat healthy and am at a very healthy weight, so I figured it was hormones.

My library had The Estrogen Window on HOOPLA (kindle and audio).
    He does support the use of HRT, heavily.... but/and he provides a lot of newer information.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Mine was about 90/50 and then it swung like crazy for a while. Sometimes low, sometimes borderline high. Once high. I eat healthy and am at a very healthy weight, so I figured it was hormones.

He does support the use of HRT, heavily.... but/and he provides a lot of newer information.

This is almost exactly what mine did! We eat healthy (90%) but I am not a healthy weight so that could certainly be a factor.

I used bio-identical progesterone cream for 4yrs after my last DD was born and it was a lifesaver. I swear that stuff saved my marriage. LOL I was the wicked witch prior to it! I'd be tempted to do bios right now just to get rid of the menopause symptoms!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am very contentedly using hormones right now to get rid of menopause symptoms. They've improved my quality of life and general state of health significantly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2017
    Options

This is almost exactly what mine did! We eat healthy (90%) but I am not a healthy weight so that could certainly be a factor.

I used bio-identical progesterone cream for 4yrs after my last DD was born and it was a lifesaver. I swear that stuff saved my marriage. LOL I was the wicked witch prior to it! I'd be tempted to do bios right now just to get rid of the menopause symptoms!

I've been using bio progesterone for the last few years. It has helped with sleep, and mood. Last year the doc gave me a bio-identical estradiol, and suggested I start on it IMMEDIATELY for mood and brain fog. I didnt. Then hotflashes ramped up, and mood got worse. So, I started the one month "sample" she gave me. Almost immediate improvement. Both mood and brain fog.
    I've now gotten a prescription and am using bio-identical progesterone, and bio-identical estrogen (estradiol).
    The Estrogen Window helped me feel better (good actually) about my decision.
    And I feel pretty normal. Quality of life, as gaudy magpie says.
    I haven't yet checked my blood pressure, but plan to soon.