Do you Fast???

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
Wondering what everyone does in regards to fasting?
Do you fast?
How often?
For how long?
Water fast? broths allowed?
I have no fasted yet but I am interested in trying. Will this be a benefit to my weighloss? what other benefits are there to fasting?

Replies

• helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do for breakfast on a regular basis. Will have brewed coffee only. Most days for breakfast I do coffee and coconut oil. I have fasted for lunch but that's more of a too busy to eat lunch and I realize I am too close for dinner to then also eat lunch. I have not done a full day fasting, that might be a bit much w/o some fat of some kind.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Usually I start eating after 12, and I stop at 8PM. I like the sharpness and the energy I'm getting.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have coffee in the morning, then a light lunch (200 cals) and then dinner and maybe something after dinner (small snack). I have not found it to help at all with weight loss, but I do have my hunger under control so that's something.
  • lodro
    Options
    I love training while fasting.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    For me every once in awhile when I'm feeling that sluggish feeling I will fast for a day. Water only. I don't know if it's good for you but I notice it helps me flush out my system because I will drink a lot of water the day I fast. But again that's every once in awhile and months apart. I don't know if it's healthy or safe but I feel ok when I do it.
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just started. I stop eating by 8pm. Don't eat again until lunch the next day. Coffee in the morning gets me to lunch without even thinking about it.
  • lodro
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »
    I just started. I stop eating by 8pm. Don't eat again until lunch the next day. Coffee in the morning gets me to lunch without even thinking about it.

yes, that's my pattern now too. I love it. Although I have no qualms about eating earlier if I feel like it. Perhaps what I like most about keto is the freedom and flexibility it gives in meal patterns.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I fast until lunch (noon). Not a long time but it seems to work so far.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes I do all kinds of versions.....20:4, 16:8, 24-72 hrs....and my longest 10 days. During the longer fasts, I usually drink pickle juice if I feel like my energy is lagging, but usually it's just water. It does help me lose, and there is usually some bounce back pounds to be expected. The longer periods also help with autophagy ....
  • Marty19666
    Marty19666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • krcmommy3
    krcmommy3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just recently begun intermittent fasting. I do it during the week, but not on weekends. I've enjoyed the quicker weight loss and energy. I usually fast from 7pm till 12pm the next day. :smiley:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just a small reminder note to anyone reading this - fasting is not for everyone, so please don't feel out of sorts if you can't do it or if you feel worse doing it, etc. My endocrinologist essentially told me that fasting is added stress to our bodies. For folks without metabolic/endocrine disorders, the body springs back rather quickly. But for anyone with adrenal, thyroid, chronic health disorders, digestive, or other issues aggravated by stress, many times, in fact most times, it is indicated to NOT fast in any form in order not to add additional stresses to the body. The body needs to heal first, manage second, and lose last. When I fasted through a single meal (either breakfast or lunch, depending), I felt absolutely great at first...then slowly, it wore me down. I still had the keto-level clarity that comes with a brilliant water fast (a water fast brings a different level to me than a fat fast), but my weight losses slowed and I became fatigued and exhausted... I now know that this was mainly triggered by some reaction to keto/fasting causing my thyroid function to lower further, and possibly adrenal issues, as well, not to the least that a fast beyond a certain point caused me ... bathroom drama in the way of straight bile dumps since I don't have a gallbladder to control the release...

So, while it works amazingly for some, just as with every other aspect in life, there is no one thing that works for everyone... So try it if you're interested, but keep aware of signs and symptoms of other issues, as well....and always, if something doesn't work well for you, try something else!
  • bluebeltwo
    bluebeltwo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just starting to read The Complete Guide to Fasting by “Dr. Jason Fung & Jimmy Moore”. Hoping to get some clarity around fasting.
  • Notebooks
    Notebooks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only time's i fast are when I feel like i'm losing control of my eating habits. I like it from a discipline building point of view. "If i can not eat for 5 days straight, i probably don't have to eat that (insert vice)" etc.

I suppose i also naturally fall into IF timings too. usually eat everything between 8-5pm
  • beasty0127
    beasty0127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just a small reminder note to anyone reading this - fasting is not for everyone, so please don't feel out of sorts if you can't do it or if you feel worse doing it, etc. My endocrinologist essentially told me that fasting is added stress to our bodies. For folks without metabolic/endocrine disorders, the body springs back rather quickly. But for anyone with adrenal, thyroid, chronic health disorders, digestive, or other issues aggravated by stress, many times, in fact most times, it is indicated to NOT fast in any form in order not to add additional stresses to the body. The body needs to heal first, manage second, and lose last. When I fasted through a single meal (either breakfast or lunch, depending), I felt absolutely great at first...then slowly, it wore me down. I still had the keto-level clarity that comes with a brilliant water fast (a water fast brings a different level to me than a fat fast), but my weight losses slowed and I became fatigued and exhausted... I now know that this was mainly triggered by some reaction to keto/fasting causing my thyroid function to lower further, and possibly adrenal issues, as well, not to the least that a fast beyond a certain point caused me ... bathroom drama in the way of straight bile dumps since I don't have a gallbladder to control the release...

So, while it works amazingly for some, just as with every other aspect in life, there is no one thing that works for everyone... So try it if you're interested, but keep aware of signs and symptoms of other issues, as well....and always, if something doesn't work well for you, try something else!

I can relate to the issue with under active thyroid. My doc has had me on meds for a long while now for it and if I go without eating for an extended time (half a day or so) I get systems similar to a diabetic sugar drop. They get so bad that I can control my hands at work until I eat something. Doc checked my insulin and I was fine there and explained that those kinds of attacks can happen due to any sort of inbalance not just insulin. I fast from 9pm to 9am or 11am (work lunch) at the lastest but cheat a little since I do drink a Naked Juice in the morning so I don't get the shakes other then that just water.