Indigestion after eating

Options
wozy46
wozy46 Posts: 115 Member
Is it usual to experience indigestion or acid reflux after LCHF meals? I'm feeling it after every meal now, even after drinking broth. What's up with that? I'm not on any meds for reflux and would like to relieve it by natural means. This topic has probably been covered in the past, but it seems that there's not a capacity for searching the forum. I'd appreciate your help.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Personally, this WOE has resulted in much less acid reflux. I have seen others on here say the same thing.

Perhaps the broth (or some other specific food) is not agreeing with you. My first action would be to do an elimination test and knock down to just a few things in my diet and slowly add things until I figured out what was triggering this.

Is there any specific food you added when you changed to LCHF?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss might have insight if it may be related to low stomach acid
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Have you ever experienced issues with your gall bladder? Is it possible you are experiencing gallstones that rather than actual acid reflux? If you are more accustomed to a low fat diet, introducing more fats can bring gallstones to attention.... This article explains my situation perfectly: https://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

I didn't start eating high fat originally, but started eating "real food" which eliminated all the low-fat processed stuff. After two months of constant and horrific attacks, usually after supper only I finally saw a doctor, went for ultrasound and was given an immediate surgical referral. The surgeon officially provided the diagnosis and tried to schedule me in the following week. I postponed surgery, wanting to absorb the information and look at alternative methods (I knew NOTHING about gallstones).... but they started tapering off and I have not had a gall bladder attack in close to two years.
  • wozy46
    Options
    I've been learning a lot from dietdoctor.com and eating LCHF pretty strictly for a month. I have always eaten mostly real foods, so my adjustments have been to eliminate foods rather than adding anything new. I don't shy away from fat on meat, or butter/olive oil for cooking, but I'm not adding fat to coffee or having fat bombs. No gallbladder issues, but @Sunny_Bunny_ 's suggestion about low stomach acid kind of rings a bell. I'll have to read about that.

It just came to mind that I'm eating Greek yogurt, which I don't usually eat, because I'm on an antibiotic. That may be why I have the sudden surge. But I'm still interested in finding out about low stomach acid. Thanks for your responses!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @wozy46 - here is the link to where current/active/good info threads are on the subject. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10423197/open-threads-member-threads-on-low-carb-topics#latest

The gallbladder/indigestion/low stomach acid ones are towards the middle. If you can't find them, let me know and I'll dig for the better ones tomorrow...

But yes, especially when on antibiotics, it wreaks total havoc on your gut!!! That alone could have triggered it. Good luck.
  • wozy46
    Options
    Thanks so much, @KnitOrMiss. I found the threads and they're very helpful. You certainly do have a wealth of knowledge, and you so generously share it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @wozy46 - You're welcome! I've been through a lot of my own struggles - and had friends to help me along the way. I'm also blessed with a gift of formatting information into more relatable/usable segments! Paying it forward is the least I can do... :)