Time-Restricted Eating - Early Shift

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Early time-restricted feeding strategy may help with losing weight

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20170106/Early-time-restricted-feeding-strategyc2a0may-help-with-losing-weight.aspx

(From FoundMyFitness blog.)

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Great find to support an early eating window for an 18/6 Intermittent fasting protocol.

It would be interesting to see if someone that normally follows 18/6 eating later in the day would have any different results making it an early window. I won't be trying it that way because I have never been able to eat early in the day. I don't think I could even do it just for curiosity sake. But can you tell my brain is curious? Lol
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    4 days?!??! Lol these studies........

But anyway, I know they only compared to all-day eating, but I think the social consequences of an a.m. window as opposed to a p.m. would make it harder to stick to for years and years.
  • wozy46
    wozy46 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week I read this from Dr. Naiman:

"No breakfast, lighter lunch, and larger dinner also maximizes the body’s natural shifts between sympathetic (“fight or flight”) and parasympathetic (“rest and digest”) nervous system tone, with higher alertness and activation from sympathetic tone during the day while under-eating, and higher parasympathetic resting tone in the evening during the fed state.

Typically, the fed state starts when you begin eating and for the next three to five hours your body digests and absorbs the food you just ate. Insulin rises significantly, completely shutting off fat-burning and also triggering excess calories to be stored as fat.

After the first few hours mentioned above, your body goes into what is known as the post–absorptive state, during which the components of the last meal are still in the circulation. The post–absorptive state lasts until 8 to 12 hours after your last meal, which is when you enter the fasted state. It typically takes 12 hours after your last meal to fully enter the fasted state.

When you’re in the fasted state your body can burn fat that has been inaccessible during the fed state. Because we don’t enter the fasted state until 12 hours after our last meal, it’s rare that our bodies are in this fat burning state. This is one of the reasons why many people who start intermittent fasting will lose fat without changing what they eat, how much they eat, or how often they exercise. Fasting puts your body in a fat burning state that you rarely get to enter during a normal eating schedule." -from https://dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating

If I understand what he's saying correctly, it seems like it's better to have the last 6 hours of an 18 hour fast be during the daytime when I'm more active so I can take advantage of the fasted state when fat-burning is at its highest level. If one is an early riser, I guess it wouldn't make any difference when those hours fell.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do an early window for several reasons:
    1. I don't like to eat before 10 in the morning (I do sometimes but see the next point)
    2. Once I start eating, it triggers me to want to eat again (so early lunch would be problematic for quitting early)
    3. Supper is a family affair and I am building this WOE around not changing the family schedules so I really need to participate in supper
  • RalfLott
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    4 days?!??! Lol these studies........

But anyway, I know they only compared to all-day eating, but I think the social consequences of an a.m. window as opposed to a p.m. would make it harder to stick to for years and years.

Only study I found with an early window....

Harder for some, easier for others.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Great find to support an early eating window for an 18/6 Intermittent fasting protocol.

It would be interesting to see if someone that normally follows 18/6 eating later in the day would have any different results making it an early window. I won't be trying it that way because I have never been able to eat early in the day. I don't think I could even do it just for curiosity sake. But can you tell my brain is curious? Lol

I think 10-4 or 11-5 might be easier for many, especially us night owls.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wozy46 wrote: »
    Earlier this week I read this from Dr. Naiman:

"No breakfast, lighter lunch, and larger dinner also maximizes the body’s natural shifts between sympathetic (“fight or flight”) and parasympathetic (“rest and digest”) nervous system tone, with higher alertness and activation from sympathetic tone during the day while under-eating, and higher parasympathetic resting tone in the evening during the fed state.

Typically, the fed state starts when you begin eating and for the next three to five hours your body digests and absorbs the food you just ate. Insulin rises significantly, completely shutting off fat-burning and also triggering excess calories to be stored as fat.

After the first few hours mentioned above, your body goes into what is known as the post–absorptive state, during which the components of the last meal are still in the circulation. The post–absorptive state lasts until 8 to 12 hours after your last meal, which is when you enter the fasted state. It typically takes 12 hours after your last meal to fully enter the fasted state.

When you’re in the fasted state your body can burn fat that has been inaccessible during the fed state. Because we don’t enter the fasted state until 12 hours after our last meal, it’s rare that our bodies are in this fat burning state. This is one of the reasons why many people who start intermittent fasting will lose fat without changing what they eat, how much they eat, or how often they exercise. Fasting puts your body in a fat burning state that you rarely get to enter during a normal eating schedule." -from https://dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting/time-restricted-eating

If I understand what he's saying correctly, it seems like it's better to have the last 6 hours of an 18 hour fast be during the daytime when I'm more active so I can take advantage of the fasted state when fat-burning is at its highest level. If one is an early riser, I guess it wouldn't make any difference when those hours fell.

Yep. This makes sense to me and aligns with what I've always read in various places. It also seems to be the most common way people just naturally fall into IF so I think that says a lot.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'd venture to guess it would turn on your circadian rhythm, schedule, metabolism....
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    That's the opposite of my schedule. lol. I am not a morning person and my appetite is very low in the morning. Even before going low carb I found that the earlier I started eating the hungrier I was throughout the day. If necessary I can completely skip lunch provided I haven't eaten breakfast.

Of course I don't IF. I typically have a coffee with hwc that I slowly sip on from about 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (thanks to my Yeti for keeping it toasty!) Then I typically eat lunch between 2 and 3. Then dinner between 6 or 7. Bedtime snack around 10:30ish. This schedule seems to work best for me.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Before LC, I could barely go 10 minutes from the time I woke up until I had to eat if those around me wanted to survive - I invented hangry, btw.

Now, I don't eat breakfast and frequently have to remind myself it is lunch time. I get up at 4:45am to go to the gym and lunch is generally around 11:30 or 12.

On a trip I took a few months back, I mixed things up and only ate breakfast and lunch a couple days and only breakfast and dinner a couple of days. Although I think having the early window may work better, I just can't do that given the high priority I have on family dinner time.

I have an 11 yo daughter. My wife and I made a very conscious decision to have family dinner time at the table as often as possible when she was born. I think that time together has been critically instrumental in her turning out better than many of the other kids her age that I see. I know it has made a huge difference in how comfortable she is coming to either of us when she has problems that I would have never discussed with my parents.

As much as I want to eat the best way possible, in the end, there are some things that are just more important to me.