Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, January 24, 2017

whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,272 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Tuesday -- whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday -- DavidKuhnsSr (David)
Thursday -- Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- Al_Howard (Al)

Today's topic: What do you know for sure?

The final question Oprah Winfrey used to ask some of her guests was, "What do you know for sure?" So today, I ask, 1) What do you know for sure about weight loss, universally and 2) What do you know for sure about weight loss for you, specifically.

Replies

• whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,272 Member
    Once again I have to post and dash. Unlike last week, I promise to make it back this afternoon with my response. :)
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    1. to lose weight you can't just "cut back" on consumption. In other words, folks say "I'm watching what I am eating" that works a little but I don't think it works long term. You need to know specifically how much to eat etc.
    2. For myself, right now...I must track what I eat and measure/weigh the food. This is to maintain or lose.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,146 Member
    Good point. WW for me while losing was about portion control and not just the ole "well I am eating some 'good' foods. Being sorta "good" just meant gaining albeit if slowly. I gained all the way up to the line of obesity 1 LB at a time.

I am pleased that after a year on maintenance I had memorized the program well enough portion wise etc that by eating mostly SFT foods I was able to go beyond daily journaling. So far so good last 8 years. I do go to WW meetings weekly when in town.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    1. That my fuel gauge is broken. If I ate to satisfaction without measuring or tracking my food, I most certainly would overeat.

2. I've accepted that I must track and measure my food for as long as I want to maintain a healthy weight. It is a small amount of effort for such large benefits.
  • wwchrisdad
    wwchrisdad Posts: 139 Member
    I can't drink as much craft beer as I would like and maintain goal!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    1) That you must intake less than you burn to lose weight
    2) That I need accountability and food measuring/tracking to accomplish this
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited January 2017
    Universally:

Eat less.

If you can move more that's good too, but "move more" and "eat less" are not equal partners in this endeavor. It's actually probably more like a 90:10 split.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Personally:

I can maintain ok without tracking, but I cannot lose unless I track everything.

I cannot lose if I eat exercise calories "earned." It's a non-productive way of thinking for me.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,791 Member
    I know now that you need to eat enough to fuel your metabolism to lose. When I was 298lbs. I
    use to eat high fiber foods and lost 30 lbs. then just plateaued. for a long time then joined WW and learned you need to eat to lose and started losing again losing another 83 lbs. but then gained again because I over indulged.

Now I know I need to journal, measure and weigh every thing I possibly can and at least move more often.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Adding on one more universal "know" - most weight loss plans work, if you follow them, but many are not sustainable long term.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,516 Member
    Write down what you eat and count something.

I can lose & maintain with a moderate amount of sustained effort.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    1. It's simple "eat less, move more" but it's NOT EASY!
    It is a very complicated "science" of how our bodies and minds function when it comes to eating, food, social aspects and what it takes to motivate you to start, continue on and never quit.

There is a lot if misinformation about WL, people want a fast easy path and will do crazy things.

2. For me it's the knowledge that the WW Plan works for me. I have actually changed my Lifestyle and can and will live this way, knowing that there is no "Finish Line".
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,486 Member
    wwchrisdad wrote: »
    I can't drink as much craft beer as I would like and maintain goal!
    Amen to that! Also, I lose my "caution" flag.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    whathapnd wrote: »
    Today's topic: What do you know for sure?

The final question Oprah Winfrey used to ask some of her guests was, "What do you know for sure?" So today, I ask, 1) What do you know for sure about weight loss, universally and 2) What do you know for sure about weight loss for you, specifically.

A) Weight loss is not linear (universally and for me) -- there are ups and downs. As long as the downs outweigh (no pun intended) the ups, you're okay.
    B) There is no finish line (universally and for me) -- nothing changes when you reach goal.

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Universally, I know I've got to burn more calories than I eat. Personally, at this phase, I know I've got to just keep doing what I did to lose to maintain. And for bonus points, that the phrase 'gone forever' can come back to bite you!
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    1. Weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out.

2. For me, it is much easier to stay on program than to get back op, it's easier to say 'no' than 'no more', and I feel so much better when I'm eating healthy!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,166 Member
    I agree with above post. One must eat less and move more as well as selecting healthy non processed as much as possible.
    For me it is to stay on plan every meal everyday. With that I have to watch portions but as I drop in weight I still have to continue to eat less to continually lose weight. I can't live on the edge of my pts / kcal because it seems to be harder to lose.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,275 Member
    It is a mind game first and a mouth gain second.
    If you can get your mind working on it or at least in the right place, then you can get your mouth working the way that is healthier or better