Hubby wants to convert.... What are you favorite meals to get him started?

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
So after seeing my progress in the last 2 weeks, hubby wants to start LCHF as well.
I stick to pretty basic foods, eggs and bacon, stuffed mushrooms and jalapenos with cream cheese, pepperoni and cheese, etc.
He is more of a sit down and eat a real meal type and I don't know what to start cooking for him. Any ideas of your favorite meals would be great!
Also, I am sitting around 5-10g carbs a day but I think he will need to be more, what should I start him at? and I do 65-70g protein, what should he be?
Thank you!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    steak and salad would be my husband's favorite...or breakfast for dinner, loaded omelettes and sausage or bacon...chicken and veggies...

what is his favorite food normally, there's probably a way to make it low carb
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    he doesn't eat veggies other than broccoli, corn, carrots and squash lol so salads are out.
    He will usually eat a meat (with bbq sauce or another marinate), a boiled veggie (broccoli, corn or carrots) and a noodle or rice. He doesn't do casseroles or anything like that.

Is there a good keto bbq sauce you know of?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress macros.
    Just cook a good typical portion of meat and a hearty serving of veggies. Cook it in some healthy fat and maybe add some cheese when it sounds good.
    You could find some recipes for things like stuffed peppers (stuff with steak, chicken, ground beef), zucchini lasagne, make some cheese stuffed meatballs or meatloaf. I shared a yummy bacon cheeseburger meatloaf recipe in the meat eaters thread recently.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I use Stubbs bbq sauce. 6 carbs a serving. They make some with artificial sweeteners but I don't use them...if you are ok with them they might be lower.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Fry veggies in strained bacon fat. Maybe he'll like them better
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If you/he like to grill out, go to bbqpitboys.com. It is not all LCHF, but most of it can be modified to be. The beer can bacon burgers and bacon crusted ribs are my favorites.

They have a burger where they make the bun out of cheese. I keep thinking I need to give that a try. This is an example of one of the things that could easily be done on the stove as they use a cast iron skillet on the grill. There are other items I think I could do in the oven as well where they slow cook it around 300 degrees.

Also, going through a few of the recipe sites in the launch pad, you will almost certainly find many items to make.

This thread gives some good visuals of foods:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest

I have gotten some good ideas from it.

Slow cooker/crock pot is my friend now. Throw in any meat you want and take it from there. Just leave out things like potatoes and carrots and stick to low(er) carb veggies like zucchini.
  • IowaHomeGirl
    IowaHomeGirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Is there a good keto bbq sauce you know of?

I just picked up G. Hughes Smokehouse Sugar Free Honey flavored BBQ sauce at Wal-Mart. It was at the bottom of the shelf and there were two flavors.

One serving (2 tablespoons) is 2 grams of carbs. I haven't tried the honey flavor yet, but the other one (maybe mesquite?) wasn't too bad.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I will second the recommendation for Stubb's. I would use it even if I didn't eat LCHF.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I know you said he doesn't eat salad, but what about a taco salad with lots of spiced meat, a bit of chopped tomato, guac, sour cream or Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, olives green or black, with a blop of no extra sugars added salsa. My husband requests this one all the time. Also home made shrimp chop suey with Chinese 5 spice powder, soy sauce or Bragg's Aminos, over dry fried miracle angel hair noodles. That's another of his favourites.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    After a year+ of eating LCHF with me for most of his meals, my hubby is now a low carb convert, and is actually quite obsessed with himself now lol. He wasn't particularly heavy, but has lost 30 lbs and discovered his abs now that he's super skinny.

I never forced it on him and he used to supplement our shared meals with bowls of cereal, oatmeal, and occasionally some bread if I allowed it in the house (it's hard for me to resist). But now he doesn't add any other carby foods, but he does still dump a ton of sugar in his coffee and tea. I'd bet he's pushing 100g carbs each day, so I doubt very much that he's in ketosis, but that's not a necessity for weight loss.

My husband is happy to literally just have meat on a plate - chicken legs/thighs steak, burgers, pork belly, pork chops, sausages. But I guess I'm lucky, in general he's not fussy at all and eats whatever I make, whether it's a goat cheese salad, beef with stir fried veg or a plate of chicken legs. Sometimes he'll add BBQ sauce, mustard, ketchup, Mayo, teriyaki sauce... but to me it doesn't really matter, I feel like he's eating much healthier than in the past and he's healthy, skinny, doesn't eat any other starches, so if he wants to add sauce, I'm not going to be the carb police, he's an adult and can make his own choices. Though I'd probably be singing a different tune if I was trying to get him to eat this way because of medical or weight issues!
  • ivasmom2011
    ivasmom2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So after seeing my progress in the last 2 weeks, hubby wants to start LCHF as well.
    I stick to pretty basic foods, eggs and bacon, stuffed mushrooms and jalapenos with cream cheese, pepperoni and cheese, etc.
    He is more of a sit down and eat a real meal type and I don't know what to start cooking for him. Any ideas of your favorite meals would be great!
    Also, I am sitting around 5-10g carbs a day but I think he will need to be more, what should I start him at? and I do 65-70g protein, what should he be?
    Thank you!

Bacon wrapped anything
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. He is incredibly picky, hates anything "creamy" - yougurt, cream cheese, sour cream, etc... I made a delicious loaded cauliflower casserole last night and he took 1 bite and almost threw up lol so he ended up popping half a spaghetti squash in the oven smothered in butter.
    I think my best bet is a meat and veggie like broccoli or asparagus. But I need some ideas to marinate the meats... we usually have bbq sauce or a stir fry sauce I make with soy sauce, oyster sauce and Worcestershire. Living in Canada its extremely hard to find the low carb sugar free bbq sauce people keep talking about.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. He is incredibly picky, hates anything "creamy" - yougurt, cream cheese, sour cream, etc... I made a delicious loaded cauliflower casserole last night and he took 1 bite and almost threw up lol so he ended up popping half a spaghetti squash in the oven smothered in butter.
    I think my best bet is a meat and veggie like broccoli or asparagus. But I need some ideas to marinate the meats... we usually have bbq sauce or a stir fry sauce I make with soy sauce, oyster sauce and Worcestershire. Living in Canada its extremely hard to find the low carb sugar free bbq sauce people keep talking about.

Spaghetti squash is not a bad lower carb option depending on how much you eat and how low you want to be. I fit it in occasionally.

As for marinating meat, I use a variety of different basic seasonings depending on my mood and just mix it with olive oil in a ziploc and keep the meat in there over night. I like things spicy, so cayenne powder is frequently in the mix. Tony Chachere's is good to use as well as either garlic powder or just some crushed fresh garlic. Curry is sometimes in the mix. Of course good old salt and pepper are nearly always added.

I have become quite experimental in this regard over the last several months. I figure if it is just one meal, I can get a little risky and if it doesn't turn out great, it's not the end of the world. There are some off the shelf seasonings I have used, but you have to be careful of the ingredients as, for some reason, many of them think it is a good idea to add sugar.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    This thread should help too... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348430/recipe-tips-websites-lcd-group-member-recipes?new=1

Google:
    "low carb -dairy" recipes
    include the " " should come up with some non creamy recipes for you. Lots of people do low carb with no dairy.
    My husband use to hate greens but after making them with bacon, he eats them happily now. Spinach, kale, cabbages, and even mustard greens will be consumed now. Not everyone likes lettuces.
    Here is a sample of the results from the above search:
    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/01/best-low-carb-dairy-free-desserts.html

I like her blog a lot and she has a lot of recipes.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    This thread should help too... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348430/recipe-tips-websites-lcd-group-member-recipes?new=1

Google:
    "low carb -dairy" recipes
    include the " " should come up with some non creamy recipes for you. Lots of people do low carb with no dairy.
    My husband use to hate greens but after making them with bacon, he eats them happily now. Spinach, kale, cabbages, and even mustard greens will be consumed now. Not everyone likes lettuces.
    Here is a sample of the results from the above search:
    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/01/best-low-carb-dairy-free-desserts.html

I like her blog a lot and she has a lot of recipes.

Speaking of bacon, even brussels sprouts are acceptable if you saute them with bacon and garlic in bacon grease and olive oil. Pork rinds also make for a good "breading."

md5cc5pxqjrx.jpg
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I hail from a small, north central town in Alberta.... My local store carries Stubbs (I'll have to try it!). They also just brought in a small selection of Uncle Dougie's, which isn't quite as low carb as Stubbs when comparing nutrition labels but still much lower than Bullseye or Kraft. My local store also carries a brand called Xyla, sweetened with xylitol. I have never tried the bbq sauce, but did NOT like the ketchup and I found it fairly expensive. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of the aftertaste from AFs to begin with.
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    I hail from a small, north central town in Alberta.... My local store carries Stubbs (I'll have to try it!). They also just brought in a small selection of Uncle Dougie's, which isn't quite as low carb as Stubbs when comparing nutrition labels but still much lower than Bullseye or Kraft. My local store also carries a brand called Xyla, sweetened with xylitol. I have never tried the bbq sauce, but did NOT like the ketchup and I found it fairly expensive. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of the aftertaste from AFs to begin with.

What town are you from?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    you could try dry seasonings on meats - salt/pepper/garlic powder on just about anything is yummy.

chili powder/cumin is a great combo

worchestershire/cumin/tumeric is another favorite of mine

You can also find dry BBQ rubs, I'm sure they are lower carb than a sauce in part because you are usually using less of the dry rub
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ can you share the bacon cheeseburger meatloaf recipe? I have no luck with the search function on MFP...I've never made I meat loaf I particularly like, but that sounds really good!
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chicken cutlets, egg wash coat with little almond flour and lots of parmesan cheese. Baked broccoli, sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper and parmesan. Side salad, ranch dressing :wink:

Keto Connect has a great bread recipe. One carb per slice. I make a loaf every week.