I eat more vegetables now!

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
Hi!

I'm new here and I actually started out on South Beach. BUT I'm considering transitioning over to paleo/primal (I can't really give up dairy)

Anyway I see all of these articles every day about how Paleo and low carb is bad for you and you don't get all of your nutrients...

Erm I get my carbs from veggies. I eat WAY more veggies now than I did on the standard diet. Infact I'm starting to think the dietetics industry may be harming people that would do very well on these types of diets by dissuading them from the diets. Granted we do have to get certain nutrients and macros in our diets to function optimally.

But isn't it better that I am now eating chicken thighs with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.

Rather than what my diet was? OH NO... I don't eat starches. I'm also not walking 3,000 miles with a papoos on my back on the regular.

Just a little observation. I hope to learn a lot from you guys.

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I really am not wild about vegetables, but I am finding ways to enjoy eating them. I was shocked when I read Terry Wahl's advice to eat 9 cups of veggies a day? Or was it 12? I don't remember, just some impossible-sounding number...
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    (My fav veggie dish right now is spinach salad 2-4 c spinach) with hot bacon dressing.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I really am not wild about vegetables, but I am finding ways to enjoy eating them. I was shocked when I read Terry Wahl's advice to eat 9 cups of veggies a day? Or was it 12? I don't remember, just some impossible-sounding number...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4011484/table/T1/?report=objectonly
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4011484/table/T1/?report=objectonly

written down as 9 cups of veggies it seems so unobtainable! I probably do eat 1.5 -2 cups of spinach in my lunch salad each day though. What counts as a sulfur rich veggie?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

written down as 9 cups of veggies it seems so unobtainable! I probably do eat 1.5 -2 cups of spinach in my lunch salad each day though. What counts as a sulfur rich veggie?

asparagus, bok choy, broccoli, kale, mushrooms, onions, Brussels sprouts, and radishes.
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

if you add 2+ cups of veggies to breakfast/dinner, you could easily get up to 6+ cups of veggies a day. For example, I really like having Brussels sprouts roasted with onion and bacon with my eggs in the mornings. It's basically the traditional eggs and bacon breakfast with a bunch of additional (high sulfur) veggies that really fills you up.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm not familiar with Terry Wahl, but I quick-googled her, and her diet advice is based on reversing multiple sclerosis. At first glance, it looks similar to Steven Gundry's diet, which takes a similar approach to reversing heart disease.

The main thing, imo, is that her recommendations are for fighting a medical problem. If you don't have that problem, then it really doesn't apply. I noticed that while she advises to eat nine cups of veg daily, she recommends only 4 ounces of animal protein daily - a single chicken breast or pork chop. That makes it essentially a vegetarian diet with just enough animal matter to offset vitamin B deficiencies.

A healthy ancestral diet is, of necessity, plant-strong - but not plant-exclusive. If you think about it, our ancestors ate animals when they could catch them, and plants when they couldn't. I'm sure there were plenty of vegetarian days. Make your meals with that in mind - a large serving of veg (enough to fill you), and then add some meat to make the full feeling satisfying.