NEW TO THE GROUP? Please check in here!

Options
1252627282931»

Replies

• anneomalley13
    anneomalley13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. My name is Anne, and I live in Atlanta. I attribute any weight gain I have to the basic physics of calories in/calories out. I find that it's easy for me - unfortunately - to consume more calories than I burn off through exercise.

I've always been active - track and basketball and cheerleading/pom squad in elementary/middle school/high school; ballet in college; running and hiking and snowboarding and sailing in adulthood.

I like to eat delicious, healthy food, and I try to steer clear of - or at least minimize the amount of - packaged, highly processed food. What gets the best of me is eating out at restaurants, which for me is closely tied to lack of portion control. I'm a social butterfly who enjoys drinking beer and wine at parties and social functions, and I also like drinking wine at home with dinner, and after dinner while watching television.

I joined MFP a couple months ago, and I've lost about 7 pounds so far. I've stepped up my activity level a bit - I was already running 3+ times per week, plus some high-impact workouts, fast-paced walking, etc. The primary tactic that's helping me with my weight loss is logging - every single day - the food I eat, drinks I consume and my exercise/workouts into the MFP diary. For me, keeping track of my calories in/calories out has really jump-started my weight loss and started the momentum towards reaching my weight and fitness goals.

Thanks for including me in this group! Anne

• Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am a 51 year old metabolically challenged woman who is committed to losing weight and keeping it off in a healthy manner. If you read my profile you will see that I have a history with diet medication and would like to warn others not to go down that road. I joined this group because it seems very rational, sensible, and realistic. I really don't believe in fads, good foods vs bad food mentalities, and butter ;-). I think calorie counting is the way to succeed in this battle and that anyone who tries to tell you differently is selling snake oil. Good Luck to Everyone, and I am glad to be here!
  • eilea73
    eilea73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Eileen. I'm a 42 year old from Northeast PA. I've struggled with weight my entire life. When I got to my highest weight at the end of 2014. I became depressed and not a nice person to live with. I knew something had to change.

I started using Advocare and exercising every day at the gym (elliptical). I got bored of the gym and started looking for something else to keep my exercise interest. I have friends who train in martial arts and that's when I found Tang Soo Do (the martial art that Chuck Norris practices). I was hesitant at first, I thought no way can "fat" people take a martial arts class. Boy was I wrong! It's my new addiction! I love it and I am down 40+ pounds and counting. I've been doing it for just over a year and I am going for another belt this Wednesday (4/6/16)! My core is ridiculous and I have felt some amazing changes in my body as far as getting stronger and more flexible.

I still have weight to lose and would love to be under 200 lbs. I'm working on it!

Some other things about me:

** I'm a mother of two children, ages 20 and 18.
    ** I have two dogs--a Doberman (my fave breed) and a Shepherd mix rescue.
    ** I work for a state law enforcement agency.
    ** I train in Tang Soo Do three times a week and then I join my boyfriend in the gym some other days...he's an awesome support system. Love him!
    ** I've been doing pretty well with my eating habits. My weaknesses are salty food (chips and dip...yum) and making not-so-good choices when dining out.

I look forward to making new friends and learning from all of you wonderful women!! :smile:
  • lacrystal86
    lacrystal86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies my name is Diane. I am 44 and live in Georgia. I have lost 54 lbs. and have 36 more to go to get to wear I wanna be (definitely not the ideal weight my doctor says I should be but a much healthier weight than where I was). I don't get to post on media a whole lot but realized I needed some support to get off this next 36 lbs and you all seemed like a great group of people to learn from. I plan to commit to posting on this site at least once a day to encourage you and be encouraged by you. I love to exercise, but finding the time is sometimes difficult. I look forward to sharing.
  • dfurze66
    dfurze66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Debbie and I'm from the Detroit area. In my last weeks of my 40's. While I have mixed emotions about turning 50, I certainly want to embrace it and be a better version in the next years of my life. I've been in MFP for quite some time. Last year I started WW in March and was able to loose about 12 pounds. However, when summer rolled around; pretty much fell of the wagon and gained it all back plus some. Need to get back at it and am excited to see all the good advice about turning 50, dealing with menopausal issues and getting back to a healthier weight.
  • 4gotNcharlie
    4gotNcharlie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Dharma and I just joined MFP. I love life and don't want to cut it short by emotional and sloppy eating. The domestic arts are my hobby including cooking, baking, decorating cakes, cookies and candy. A lot of my other favorite hobbies also include sitting; like sewing, knitting, embroidery and quilting, to name just a few. This has helped to get me to where I am today, obese, sedentary and very unhappy. Spending time in nature, hiking, biking, camping and just being me used to be all i needed to be happy. I intend to make that part of my life again and feel it will help me stick to this eating and exercise plan.
  • tallgirlcindy532
    tallgirlcindy532 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Cindy, I am 62 and I live in Mississippi. I need to lose 30 pounds and I am having a hard time because I like to eat. I have no will power.I need all the help I can get. I want to weight 150 and I am 176 now.
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Glenda I'm 50 years old and desperately looking for some motivation. I was a group fitness instructor for 15 years and took weight lifting and working out very seriously. I couldn't go a day without it, literally. After I gave up being an instructor 4 years ago, I just lost interest in working out. I think I was so far extreme that I lost complete interest. I cannot seem to get motivated to start up a serious routine again. I also LOVE TO EAT! It's kind of my "thing". So you can only imagine that after no longer working out, still eating and getting older ... things just go ... well, they go south in a hurry!

I am looking forward to being a part of this group! Thank you to all who have contributed and hopefully will continue to contribute!
  • mibus100
    mibus100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 63 and loving life. I have about 34 lbs to loose while getting to the weight goal. I believe 60's are the young 30's. Everything changes when you retire. Knowing that you don't have to go to work and can do whatever you want really changes your outlook on life. I am looking forward to making new friends and getting ideals from you guys.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    54, 5'6", 128 lbs. Work full time, gym 3-4 days a week. Trying to be more accountable since every pound I gain goes straight to my waist. "Love handles" make them sound sweet but I assure you they are not! I hope this group becomes more active.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Trying to figure out how to reply to certain posts and what "quote" means below post. Bear with me!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm Linia and am wondering why we can't get this group going.
  • Snielsen63
    Snielsen63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    I am sheila ..i am 53 and live in Norman Ok. I am married and we have 4 kids 2 his 2 mine all grown and 1 grand daugher 3yrs old. .i love to cook but i also love to eat out ... I like MFP to make me track my food ... I just need a group to keep me motivated
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I guess I posted my intro on the main board, didn't notice this thread, so I'll post it here too.
    I am mom to two pretty much grown up boys (lol) and work part time/casual. I lost about 60 lbs several years ago and am currently trying to take off another 10 lbs or so that has "somehow " crept back :smile:
    I do exercise a lot, I run, bike and have lots of different Beachbody DVD's. Exercise isn't the problem for me, eating is! I like to eat at night, when I'm not even really hungry. Just a habit while watching tv, or whatever.

Anyway, hope to hear back from you all!
  • sophiawong88
    sophiawong88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Sophia, 50, just started lifting weights for the first time ever. It's a very efficient way to build muscle, lose fat, tone and shape up. I live in NYC and decided to try weightlifting bc as I get older, I no longer feel confident walking home alone from the subway or bus at night.
    Looking forward to this new adventure. I love the weightlifting club I joined where there are plenty of women, although I am probably one of the oldest athletes there.
    I also take a basketball class called Never Too Late which is so much fun!
  • lindapaun
    lindapaun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone. I'm Linda from Minnesota. I'm excited to join the group and share insights and gain support through this weight loss journey I'm embarking on. I'm 57 going on 18. I honestly feel 18 inside but my body tells me something different. I've been regrouping with My Fitness Pal and have started being more consistent with my logging. It has helped in the past! I'm looking for some friends out there to help me stay on course!

Interested in all sorts of things. I'm a pretty good cook, like sailing, dancing, swimming, tennis, spending time with my 3 kids; ages 22,20, and 17 and my Husband.

• putotherpeoplefirst
    putotherpeoplefirst Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am 50 plus years young ( close to 60) and obese and have been a yo yo dieter all my adult life. Love walking and swimming but eat too much food. I like being outdoors especially in the bush. Not happy with my weight (17 stone) and have arthritis in one knee. Own a ginger cat aged 10, work, and enjoy knitting and reading. Have a great day everyone!! M
  • Jenisue888
    Jenisue888 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP a long time ago but I'm just now participating. Hello everyone. I'm a 53 year old married woman living in Kentucky-- transplant from Texas and I miss it so much! I'm shy and socially awkward. I love my husband, pets, stepkids and grandkids, music, books, and unfortunately, eating.
    I've been overweight my entire life. Over a decade ago I lost 45 lbs just by increasing my exercise and decreasing my portions. I gained some of that weight back.
    I'm just now honestly wanting to do this again. Besides wanting to lose weight to feel better and have more energy to play with my grandkids, I want to get off of all of the prescription medications that I'm caught up in. I have a whole laundry list of problems: high BP, high cholesterol, diabetes, gout outbreaks, bad knees, bad back, and I'm overly sarcastic. That last one doesn't have anything to do with my health. LOL
    The side effects of these meds have been very detrimental to my physical and mental health. My memory and cognitive functioning have been diminished by these meds. So my new goal is to get off of these awful chemicals.
    Sorry for being so wordy but that's my story. I wish everyone success in reaching their goals.
    Jen
  • liannetx
    liannetx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Lianne and I'm 54. I've lost around 50 pounds in the last year and have about 60 to go. I work a stressful, sedentary job so I'm trying to figure out ways to incorporate movement into my day. My husband is super supportive and is trying to lose about 20 pounds himself. We've been trying to follow the Mediterranean Diet by incorporating more vegetables and less meat into our meals (much to my husband's dismay). I'm perfectly happy not eating meat at all and many days don't.

We're in the Houston area and looking to move closer to downtown where I lived for over 20 years. My husband is from Croatia and actually moved here to be with me 13 years ago this month (we met online and did the whole fiancé visa thing). We don't have any kids ourselves but are auntie and uncle to a group of great teens and tweens. We have a very spoiled rescue dog and two cats.