Week of Jan 23 to Jan 29: Goals and Results

Options
bm1409
bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
Up 2.2 pounds. Frustrating, but when you eat everything in sight, its bound to happen. I wonder if I just sabotage myself. I got down to 136 and every time I get to that point I go right back up. I usually go back up to 145+ and then start the cycle all over again. Words are very powerful. This time I will NOT keep going back up, and I will break that 136 mark and continue to lose the weight until I reach my goal!!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I've been feeling stuck too, so decided to give myself a break about it and just focus on overall fitness and getting back to good logging and hitting my goal numbers.

This week's goal is to get in all my running and strength workouts again and also add in some swimming (which I've been having trouble with--too cold to want to get in the pool, sigh). Also going to start tracking sleep again to see if I can manage to sleep a bit more. Did okay last week despite too little sleep, but made it harder than it needed to be and I think it would help me recover better from workouts, too.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My goals this week are to stay within my calories, get 7 hours of sleep, 8 glasses of water and 6500 steps daily. My average last week was 6088 steps a day, which is 500-750 more than usual.
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bm1409 wrote: »
    Up 2.2 pounds. Frustrating, but when you eat everything in sight, its bound to happen. I wonder if I just sabotage myself. I got down to 136 and every time I get to that point I go right back up. I usually go back up to 145+ and then start the cycle all over again. Words are very powerful. This time I will NOT keep going back up, and I will break that 136 mark and continue to lose the weight until I reach my goal!!

You can do it you know the triggers just stay away from them.
  • jerseygene
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Good for you. I've been feeling stuck too, so decided to give myself a break about it and just focus on overall fitness and getting back to good logging and hitting my goal numbers.

This week's goal is to get in all my running and strength workouts again and also add in some swimming (which I've been having trouble with--too cold to want to get in the pool, sigh). Also going to start tracking sleep again to see if I can manage to sleep a bit more. Did okay last week despite too little sleep, but made it harder than it needed to be and I think it would help me recover better from workouts, too.

Sleep is important but hard to control it is something I have problems with to and working Nights and day shifts do not help.
  • jerseygene
    Options
    tress29 wrote: »
    My goals this week are to stay within my calories, get 7 hours of sleep, 8 glasses of water and 6500 steps daily. My average last week was 6088 steps a day, which is 500-750 more than usual.

Getting in your steps can be challenging at times I do well over the week but I don't do so well when I am on a rest day from work it is something I need to work on.
  • tress29
    Options

jerseygene wrote: »
    Getting in your steps can be challenging at times I do well over the week but I don't do so well when I am on a rest day from work it is something I need to work on.
    THIS.IS.ME!

• JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Trying to make some changes to my daily routine. When I started "the process", I created a new routine that worked for me. Tried to change it up a bit last year, but the habits weren't ingrained enough yet. This year, I feel stronger and more solid in what I've been doing. Sleep, stress management and real food (I eat almost no highly processed food) is pretty much a solid part of my lifestyle. It's like, "Okay, I'm ready to start living again." This year I'm focused on adding back into my life some big things like "regular exercise" and some smaller things like morning prayer/Bible study, learn a new language, remember to look at my calendar/to do list each morning, read a book, have a regular office schedule and regular home cleaning schedule and spend more time with friends and family.

While I have to do office work and cleaning of some sort each week, I think that as far as new habits go, for the next couple of weeks I'm going to work on:

1. morning prayer/Bible study
    2. check my calendar/to do list
    3. practice a new language
    4. exercise 3 times this week
    5. do something specific with or for friends/family members (call, text, email, snail mail...)

The office work has to get done and most of the cleaning has to get done. I can get more organize with these as scheduled habits in the future. (You know, that kind of schedule where you don't get behind in the first place. Not sure I'm there yet.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great plans, JMarcella!
  • tress29
    Options
    I'm trying an experiment. Since I've been pretty consistent with getting increased step count I changed my profile to Lightly Active. I equate that with at least 5000 steps a day. I set it to no exercise and a half pound weight loss. It's giving me a higher calorie allowance, but as I'm nearing my initial goal weight it feels like a "test" for maintenance. Obviously, some days I'll actually exercise but there are days I'm doing good just getting my steps in.
  • jerseygene
    Options
    Lost 3 pounds But that's it I intend to maintain from now on and see how that goes for me. I want to work on my fitness levels and health now. I think it is time to admit to myself that I have done what I set out to do. I hit my original goal along time ago then reevaluated and set new ones and have hit them more than once. We will all have to maintain at some time and to be honest, I think maintaining for me is more daunting than losing it I mean I always knew that my diet would come to an end but maintaining is for life and I am hoping that is going to be a lot longer now Lol. It's time to Tick one or two of them things off of my bucket list that I wasn't able to do when I was a lot heavier starting with getting that parachute jump in later this year it is something I have always wanted to do but not been able to until now. And then I want to do a little walk called the Pennine Way it is a 267 miles, 467 km long across a mountain range that runs from Edale, Derbyshire and ends at Kirk Yetholm, Scottish Borders it is classed as Difficulty: Hard and it is I know I tried it once and didn't finish it and I was a lot younger then but I am a lot fitter now than I was then even if I am 20 years older so I intend on finishing it this time. Here is a link to one of their sites for those of you that have not heard of it. penninewayassociation.co.uk/the-route/photos
  • bm1409
    Options
    jerseygene.......That is awesome, you did it! Congratulations on reaching your goal! You are a inspiration.
  • jerseygene
    Options
    jerseygene.......That is awesome, you did it! Congratulations on reaching your goal! You are an inspiration.

Thank you. And now the hard work begins keeping it off and maintaining.
  • whiplashy
    whiplashy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Only lost 0.8 of a pound :( Stuck to my calories rigidly too so very disappointed. I haven't been exercising this week as I've developed a problem with my foot. My right foot is turned out for some reason and its affecting my balance. Going to the doctors tomorrow to see what's causing the problem. At my weight the pounds should be falling off pretty easily so I was shocked when I saw the scales this morning. Plan for this week is to stick to my calories everyday again and exercise lightly if I can. Really need to do something about my sleep too but I don't know what. I started tracking my sleep with a Fitbit about three years ago and in all that time my average has been about 4 hours a night. I go to bed early enough to get at least 8 hours but I spend every night tossing and turning. I've tried everything I could find online but nothing seems to help. I do sometimes fit a nap in during the day to try and compensate for it a bit.
  • bm1409
    edited January 2017
    Options
    whiplashy wrote: »
    Only lost 0.8 of a pound :( Stuck to my calories rigidly too so very disappointed. I haven't been exercising this week as I've developed a problem with my foot. My right foot is turned out for some reason and its affecting my balance. Going to the doctors tomorrow to see what's causing the problem. At my weight the pounds should be falling off pretty easily so I was shocked when I saw the scales this morning. Plan for this week is to stick to my calories everyday again and exercise lightly if I can. Really need to do something about my sleep too but I don't know what. I started tracking my sleep with a Fitbit about three years ago and in all that time my average has been about 4 hours a night. I go to bed early enough to get at least 8 hours but I spend every night tossing and turning. I've tried everything I could find online but nothing seems to help. I do sometimes fit a nap in during the day to try and compensate for it a bit.

I hope you find answers about your foot. Have you tried magnesium to help you sleep? It has helped me sleep through the night. Congrats on the .08 pounds lost. I know you wanted more ... but thats not bad at all.
  • taniajoh
    taniajoh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    whiplashy wrote: »

Congrats on the 0.8 lost! I think the global weight loss process is not linear and (although it can feel disappointing when you've put a lot of effort into something, not to see immediate results- happened to me 2 week ago-) it helped me to think "how will I feel about this in 1 year, when my weight is way down because I went on with my plan for all that time?" --> I won't care :smile:
  • taniajoh
    taniajoh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lost a bit more than 1 pound this week! I'm quite happy :blush:
    ..but i'm still struggling to stick to my allocated calories at weekends especially when I have visit and can't go to the gym to compensate...
  • whiplashy
    whiplashy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I hope you find answers about your foot. Have you tried magnesium to help you sleep? It has helped me sleep through the night. Congrats on the .08 pounds lost. I know you wanted more ... but thats not bad at all.

Yeah I have restless leg syndrome so I take magnesium for that. It does stop my legs from jittering around the place at night but does nothing for my actual sleep.
    taniajoh wrote: »
    Congrats on the 0.8 lost! I think the global weight loss process is not linear and (although it can feel disappointing when you've put a lot of effort into something, not to see immediate results- happened to me 2 week ago-) it helped me to think "how will I feel about this in 1 year, when my weight is way down because I went on with my plan for all that time?" --> I won't care :smile:

You're absolutely right of course. I was really down about it yesterday but in the long term it doesn't really matter. Previously that would have upset me to the point where I'd think "why bother" and eat all around me. But I'm here for the long haul and I know if I stick to my calories the weight will shift. Some weeks will just be better than others. It all adds up though :)
  • tress29
    Options
    I found pants I loved on clearance, one size smaller than I've been in. I can get them on, they look decent, just can't zip them yet!
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    tress29 wrote: »
    I found pants I loved on clearance, one size smaller than I've been in. I can get them on, they look decent, just can't zip them yet!

We will zip them up by the end of this challenge!