New Discovery. Questions. Coconut Milk

Options
collegefbfan
collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
I love heavy cream. I mean love it to the point of getting a container of heavy cream tattoo. Okay maybe not that far. I just tried some coconut milk in my morning shake, and it was good. Really good. Dairy is not an issue for me, but just wondering, is one better than the other? Heavy cream vs. coconut milk? One have more healthy benefits than the other?

Any advice, thanks.

Replies

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your goals are but this is what the Self Nutrition Data says:

Heavy cream has less saturated fat and way more vitamin A It has a 0 Glycemic Load per 1 cup

Coconut milk has a Glycemic load of 5, Way more Iron and almost double the saturated fat.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3114/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3114/2
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just want to advocate for use of both as well. Definitely agree that neither is better than the other and including both might be the most beneficial.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cool. Weight loss is goal. 35 pounds down and want to lose some more. Many thanks.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You might want to look for coconut "cream" instead of milk, its thicker, richer and 50% less carby than coconut milk. I enjoy a bit of variety in my diet and often switch between double cream and coconut cream in my coffee. And it makes for a great marinade base too!

I second this....The coconut cream was awesome....
  • judimarie513
    judimarie513 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Where can i get the coconut cream?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

I've found it in Asian or Indian Markets. It's a canned item on the shelf.

I'm guessing most of the above posters are also talking about the goodness of canned coconut milk versus the stuff found in the dairy case beside the milk.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

It's available at both of my regular grocery stores - ASDA (owned by Walmart) and Tesco.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I found mine at Sprouts. I keep forgetting to look in the Asian section of my grocery store.