Springtime hiking

Options
dervari
dervari Posts: 805 Member
So, what's on everyone's agenda for this spring?
  • Thru-hike the Pine Mountain Trail in South Georgia (23 miles)
  • Finish up the Georgia section of the AT
  • Do some backpacking at Cumberland Island before the flies invade

Replies

• worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Probably try to get up the some of the Catskill for towers (Upstate New York), I haven't been to yet.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Continued hiking in Arizona. The Superstitions are my favorite for nearby hikes.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,839 Member
    Options
    As the days get a bit longer, I hope to snowshoe up some of my favorite summer trails. We're still dealing with avalanche danger at higher elevations. My high trails, here in Washington, don't see "spring" until July.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've never done an overnight at Cumberland Island, but I loved it when I did a day trip. Places with a great amount of diversity always end up towards the top of my list. At Cumberland Island, you can go through many different ecosystems in a short period of time - seeing dolphins on the way out, picking up sea shells on the beach, to walking through the forest with wild turkey, armadillos, deer, horses... I even spotted a bobcat. All of that within the same day!

As for me, I am hiking with a group here in southern Iowa on Sat., but I'm mostly trying to stick with trail running when I can get out on dirt paths. It is still dark too early after work on week-days, but I make an effort on weekends if nothing else is going on.

I signed up for the Nebraska Trail Run 12K on 4/1/17. This is a very hilly course along the Platte River in SE Nebraska. I also signed up for the Glacier Half Marathon on 6/24/17 in Montana. I had planned to go on a backpacking trip for about a week in Glacier National Park this year, so I plan to do it right after that run. The down-side is that this is so much earlier than I had planned (August) and that means higher risk of deep snow, depending where I go. I hope they have Going To The Sun Road opened on schedule this year, because that will put another wrench in things.

*Note: The Glacier Half Marathon is not actually inside Glacier National Park. It is on roads just outside the eastern border of the park.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    As the days get a bit longer, I hope to snowshoe up some of my favorite summer trails. We're still dealing with avalanche danger at higher elevations. My high trails, here in Washington, don't see "spring" until July.

Be careful with that. A lot of destinations have a summer trail and a winter trail, which follow different routes. People die pretty much every year taking the summer trail up Granite Mountain.

Check http://www.nwac.us/ before you leave. Every trip. Err on the side of safety.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,839 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm planning to hike on the east side of the Olympics. I have been on those trails in all seasons, dozens of times. The great thing about getting out this time of year is the isolation. I love having the forest to myself.