How to deal with a conference

Options
LisaPower123
LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
Hi all! I have been lurking here for a while. I have been eating strict Keto >20 carbs most days ( some days I eat a quest bar, so under 20 net carbs), since January 7th. I feel great! I have energy to work out, my anxiety has disappeared. Most days I have no pain. I love how eliminating carbs makes me feel.

Next week I am going to a conference., I was going to take a break & eat whatever was given, but because I think I am on the verge of adaptation, I don't want to eat carbs. We just got an email that the 1st night will be a pizza & pasta bar. That does not sound like anything I can eat.

They have asked if there were any dietary considerations.

Would you tell them? Would you ask fior low carb stuff? Or would you just go with the flow?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to ask for special consideration but that's just me. I've been eating keto for a non life threatening medical reason (neurological movement disorder) for about 10 months and have always managed at various functions outside the home.

I'm guessing there will also be salad at your function. Eat salad loaded with the fattiest dressing available. Add olives or other keto friendly condiments if available. There may also be bread and butter. If so, slip a couple pats of butter on your plate and eat it for the satiation of fat if you feel you'll need it.

I often eat just the toppings off pizza. If you don't have a need to balance your carbs and protein with your fat intake throughout the day, you can just eat a salad. You could call ahead and ask what the pasta offerings are. Perhaps there will be something that is more protein heavy with larger chunks of meat (though not likely).
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work. I do have to make changes to my woe on the road but I can manage fairly well. I don't measure if I'm in ketosis or know if I eat "keto" but I look to stay under 35g of carbs daily.

I pack single serve protein powders for use in coffee, jerky or beef sticks for lunch/snacks, sprouted pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on salads, and occasionally I've very carefully placed avocados in my cary on. :smiley:

Large hotels have coffee shops, get a breve to start the day. At the plated served lunch eat just ehat works on the plate. Ask the server if you can have an extra portion of meat. Rely on your own snacks in the afternoon. At dinner buffets focus on cheese and salad. If there are convenience stores or Walgreens/rite aids near by, all have single serve cheese and yogurt in their cooler cases. And usually pork rinds near the check out.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There is a shelf stable mix in for making a BP Coffee variation that is a mix of coconut oil, ghee, cocoa powder, and some form of safe sweetener. You could do this and use a battery operated milk frother for blending. That could be used as any meal swap.

I firmly second the pizza toppings only. I've done this so many times! Just avoid getting any extra sauce, and you should be golden.

If they offer sandwiches, load up with extra mayo and mustard and eat the innards of the sandwich, ditching the bread.

Single packs of coconut oil, nut butters, and pats of butter can be your best friends... And the other suggestions above are fabulous. Walnuts, pecans, and/or macadamias can be packaged in snack sized bags for emergencies. But just think outside the box.

Just ditch the bread or carby sides in any meal. With the pasta bar, there may even be chicken breasts or some meatballs (be wary of fillers) and things that you can use to bulk up your pizza toppings...

A George Foreman grill can also be taken in checked luggage, and used in at hotel room upside down to cook bacon and eggs and such - though these will most likely be offered at buffets in the AM anyway. Just be careful of scrambled eggs, many are from powder or mixed with pancake batter to provide volume, etc. Even if they provide bagels and toast, swipe some butter or cream cheese to add to WHATEVER you need to "fat up" later...

There were some threads about a year ago about ways to do this/travel, etc. I don't know if they are linked in the sticky post, but it's probably worth checking for. @Baconslave - since I imagine we'll get good responses here, maybe we could add this to open thread links, too?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, and single serve packets of dressings like Caesar and Italian are good options too.
  • LisaPower123
    Options
    Thanks all! Awesome suggestions. I feel so much better eating this way! I think a big part of this way of life is planning & being prepared. I feel much better having strategies to deal with next week
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would tell them you need a low carb, or even a gluten free diet, and then I would bring enough food for yourself in case they can't accommodate you well enough.

Have fun.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I actually called & asked for the menu, to make sure there was stuff I can eat & that every thing wasn't breaded & pasta. They said that they will talk to the resort so I am sure I will get some unwanted attention. I guess it is better than feeling like crap, from eating tons of carbs though

Don't feel bad...They are used to accomodating different diets. That's why they ask ahead of time so they are able to make sure everyone is comfortable and happy.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

@swezeytba is totally right. And even if you do get some unwanted attention don't let it get you down! You're making the right choices for you, even if they're "weird" choices to others who gives a ......fudge. Be proud you're taking care of you!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I actually called & asked for the menu, to make sure there was stuff I can eat & that every thing wasn't breaded & pasta. They said that they will talk to the resort so I am sure I will get some unwanted attention. I guess it is better than feeling like crap, from eating tons of carbs though

It probably seems like a bigger deal because you've never had to do it before - and because it is a "preference," and not an allergy or whatever. But the fact is, your lifelong health is likely more important than a conference, and add to that, @lpeltenburg , that you likely want to be at the absolute top of your game - and how can you do that with a brain bogged down by carbs. MCT Oil can also help close the gap and less fat that desired, etc.

https://amazon.com/Coffee-Booster-Quality-Grass-fed-Coconut/dp/B01D19RF3Q I think this is the one I was thinking of...if not, it's very similar for the coffee.

And this right here is an awesome frother!!
    https://amazon.com/dp/B01HR4097U?psc=1&smid=A21QYYDMAPJ8BS
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work too and always manage to find something to eat, even if some days I may eat a bit less than normal (which isn't a bad thing for me). I'm in the UK where they put low fat milk in their coffee, but I always ask the staff to go into the kitchen to get me some double cream, so that I can at least start my day with a good cup of coffee.

As others have mentioned, just eat the pizza toppings and I'm sure there will be some kind of meat you can pick out of your pasta so that you're not hungry. Just throw some almonds in your purse so that you have a snack if you need one. Fill up on breakfast, it seems to be the easiest meal to eat out low carb.

Most important thing is to just be confident in your diet choices, don't worry about people thinking you're weird. I sit in conference room meetings all the time eating the insides of my sandwiches with a knife and fork leaving behind a little pile of bread. I think everyone is used to it by now, but this is how I want to eat for life, if that's how you feel too, don't worry about what others might think or worry about appeasing people, just remind yourself that your health and wellbeing is your priority and it's okay to put yourself first.

Good luck :smile:
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey PaleoInScotland - speaking of UK travel food - Tesco express have started doing omelette (instead of bread) wraps! Today I grabbed a BLT in an egg wrap as part of the £3 meal deal.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @lpeltenburg careful with the MCT Oil if you decide to go that route and have never used it. Disaster Pants. :#
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    suzc11 wrote: »
    Hey PaleoInScotland - speaking of UK travel food - Tesco express have started doing omelette (instead of bread) wraps! Today I grabbed a BLT in an egg wrap as part of the £3 meal deal.

Ooh that's awesome!! M&S is always my go-to when I'm travelling (unless I'm rural). I grab a pot of hard boiled eggs or a pack of meat, a single serving of cheese and a bottle of water an I'm sorted. I love their spicy pepperoni and chilli salmon :)
  • LisaPower123
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @lpeltenburg careful with the MCT Oil if you decide to go that route and have never used it. Disaster Pants. :#

That would just be my luck... I will pass on the MCT oil for now, I have not tried it & I won't at this conference lol. I am not worried about getting fat anyway. I don't need too that much food, & I know what I will be eating will not be low fat.

I usually gain 5-10lbs at this conference. I look forward to being aware and feeling great when I get home

I feel self conscious because I am over weight & on yet another diet.. I will get over it & keep calm & Keto on (as I read all day!)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    :DI will not derail my eating and put rubbish in my body for any reason.

A line for the ages.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I had a bird's-eye view of breakfast at a conference last year.

Here's what was set out on the breakfast buffet to help us hapless attendees jump-start the day. It would have hit the pre-LC Me like a handful of Ambiens.
    • Bagels,
    • apple pastries,
    • healthy, low-fat, fruit-flavored cream cheese,
    • healthy low-fat fruit flavored yogurt,
    • packets of jam, apple butter, and honey,
    • sweetened fat-free fake coffee cream,
    • coffee,
    • 2% milk,
    • orange juice,
    • cans of Arizona tea-colored sugar water,
    • bananas, and, uh,....
    • prunes.

From a random survey of just the first stops at the buffet table, I reckoned the average haul was around 500-750 total calories, including a whopping 100-175 carb-grams. :s

In retrospect, I wish I'd thought to try to correlate the estimated carb loads with the timing and amount of drool (or twitch-terminating micro-naps) that ensued. Maybe I was asleep at the switch after having caught a contact stupor from all the carbs in the room ....
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I had a bird's-eye view of breakfast at a conference last year.

Here's what was set out on the breakfast buffet to help us hapless attendees jump-start the day. It would have hit the pre-LC Me like a handful of Ambiens.
    • Bagels,
    • apple pastries,
    • healthy, low-fat, fruit-flavored cream cheese,
    • healthy low-fat fruit flavored yogurt,
    • packets of jam, apple butter, and honey,
    • sweetened fat-free fake coffee cream,
    • coffee,
    • 2% milk,
    • orange juice,
    • cans of Arizona tea-colored sugar water,
    • bananas, and, uh,....
    • prunes.

This reminds me of the friend who, when I mentioned how happy I was with my LC lifestyle, proudly informed me that she also eats healthy, starting each day with a life-giving smoothie. Based on her description of the ingredients, I later calculated the thing at 150-175 carb grams per smoothie. She did add that for some mysterious reason she didn't seem to be losing any weight.
  • LisaPower123
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lol :) My husband told me that this "diet" isn't working for him like it is for me.

I told him he wasn't following a keto diet. I don't think bread, soup & crackers, popcorn, pistachios, or pasta that he he adds to my keto meals, actually keeps him under 20g of carbs.

Some people will never get it & it really isn't worth the effort to convince them.

I think I might exercise through breakfast & hope that I get lucky at lunch.