LCHF/Keto Resources for possible Psoriatic Arthritis

Options
kimberwolf71
kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
I am trying to locate some good resources to provide a friend to help battle a potential diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis. She has been battling extreme issues on her hands and feet for a number of years with no success or firm diagnosis.

She was on Immuran and Prednisone for 15 years, the prednisone was a very low dosage for the last 8 of those years for a diagnosis of Autoimmune Chronic Hepatitis. She was cleared of it about 5 years ago and properly weaned off of all that stuff. It was after that that when the flare up of raw, burning, itching, peeling began on her feet and hands (which medical professionals are saying is not surprising but they are unable to effectively treat or diagnosis it).

She was recently referred to a rheumatologist who also did not diagnosis her, but wants her to take methotrexate for 3 months and then come back. She would rather not, especially given her history of liver distress.

Her and I have had discussions about autoimmune/inflammation in the past and she is fully on board and open minded (even a preference) for trying more holistic approaches. All resources that I looked at in the launchpad focus more on T2D and weight loss, neither of which she needs to worry about.

I know many of you here have had numerous health successes in other areas and hope you can direct me to some good resources and/or your success stories to refer her to!

Thank you!

Replies

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That is soo painful. I had something similar in 2011: Burning, itching excruciating pain in my feet. Couldn't stand on feet or walk. Was hospitalized and put on Prednisone. I'm quite certain the medication was a triggering factor in ballooning unstoppable fat gain afterwards. At the hospital they said the burning was a blood inflammation called vasculitis. I had redpurple spots all over my knees too and severe edema. The doc said it all possibly started as a severe throat inflammation a week before that had "migrated down".

I thought Prednisone supposed to be a temp medicine. It's often prescribed to cancer patients. But it's a pact with the devil. It's known to disrupt many important processes in the body. I'm surprised they put her on it for many years, even on low dosage, given the many grave side effects are well documented.

I don't really have any actionable advice. Her case sounds different to mine. I've had to research everything on my own to heal my body. Because we don't have "functional medicine " in my country. If I were your friend I'd maybe try to find a practitioner that specializes in autoimmune issues and/or a really good endocrinologist.

If she is able to do some research herself, I highly recommend it. Be proactive. No one will care so much for her health as herself! Understanding how the body works has been my best motivator to stay lowcarb and all the other things that I do to stay healthier!

Unfortunately there are a lot of woo-woo on the interwebz about autoimmune conditions. It's hard to find trustworthy sources who isn't trying to sell THEIR prorietary supplements...So double check claims.

Anyhow she can't go wrong starting with proper nutrition, better sleep, exercise and better stress management. I still have niggling injuries like frozen shoulder and tennis elbow, but I'm MUCH better than I was before.

Sometimes I think stuff like this goes beyond the scope of merely physical/medical treatment. I can't help but notice that many people I know who have been traumatized early in life (including me) develop these vague illnesses and symptoms. Like the body is taking the beating and punishment for (surpressed) tormented memories. I know it sounds a bit cuckoo. But I believe the body, brain and soul are only aspects of a whole, and as long as we keep separating them into different areas, we won't find the answers to the unsolved mysteries that lie within us.

I wish her the best. It's a long journey, but I think doing something is better than just waiting in pain.

Edit: Does she have this bubbly, tingling feeling in the blood? I haven't been able to find out if it's neuropathy or what. I still have it almost every day. But in the weeks up to the attack, it was very intense and often. Ofc when I ask docs about this, they mostly give me a blank stare...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @KetoLady86 - You have Psoriatic Arthritis, correct? Do you have any suggestions?

Edited to add:
    One summit I listened to said that for all autoimmune folks across the board, they recommended:
    1) cut gluten - all forms
    2) supplement ashwagandha
    3) I forgot this one! Maybe take a good quality probiotic??
    4) take a low level T3 medication to take the strain off the body while it works on everything else.

This was a good article I just found, too. drhyman.com/blog/2015/07/24/10-strategies-to-reverse-autoimmune-disease/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I think LCHF would help most any autoimmune related issue. Ashwagandha does take a bite out of my joint pain.

ksm66ashwagandhaa.com/why_ksm66.html

After some questionable organic ashwagandha root labelled for sell only in India I will now only use the standardized KSM66 product sold under different brand names. I take four capsules each morning and evening and try to keep a 3+ month supply on hand because if what it means for my pain manage.
  • Myself4good
    Myself4good Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've struggled for years with a mystery autoimmune disease myself-painful joints in hands and feet, chronic rash, low back pain, and sacroiliac pain. I was just recently diagnosed with seronegative inflammatory arthritis. I find that cutting out gluten and sugar helps me tremendously. Your friend may want to think about an elimination diet or keeping a food journal for a while to see what flares her symptoms. Food absolutely plays a major role in my symptoms. My doctors are telling me low carb or keto is one of the best things in the world to help reduce inflammation, and I just started this WOE last week. I haven't noticed a huge improvement in joint pain yet but I'm hoping to soon. I hope your friend can find some relief!