Mom2Annie's Progress Thread

Mom2annie
Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
Name: Mom2annie or Laura
Current Weight: 275lbs
Height: 5'4"
Struggles: Food addiction: junk food, fast food, savory/heavy sauces, condiments/dressings, etc. I'm not good at finishing what I start. I've never lost more than 30lbs at once and have been heavy since I was a child. My highest weight was 298lbs sometime last year.
Goal range: 150-175lbs
OMAD Time: 6 to 8pm
OMAD Start Date: Jan 24th(ish)

I fell into OMAD without meaning to. I was attempting 16:8 and wasn't hungry at the 16 mark so I decided to see if I could go to 17, then 18...eventually 22 on the first day. So I decided to look into OMAD since I was obviously capable of following the schedule. I'm about a week in now and adjusting really well.

Full disclosure: I'm in the process of getting gastric sleeve surgery. My insurance requires 6 months of supervised diet & exercise before hand so my current weight loss efforts were born from needing to shed weight during the 6 month period leading up to surgery. I am not 100% sure that I want to go through with the surgery yet, but figured I have 6 months to think on it without wasting time. I've finished 2 of the 6 so far. OMAD is going better than I expected it would so far. If I continue to lose weight and show steady progress, I may not follow through with the surgery. My family and friends are supportive either way, which is great!

I have an 11 year old daughter that is beginning to show extra weight in her tummy and also eating like I did as a kid. She is headed down the same path I've walked and that has to change. She tends to mimic me in most ways, so when I exercise, she exercises, when I eat well, she tries too. So I really need to fix my weight/lifestyle for both of us. It's just her and I and two dogs at home. I'm divorced and she's my only child. Most of my family lives in the same city so I have a decent support system.

That's my intro! Sorry if it went too long.

Replies

• vinyladdict
    vinyladdict Posts: 85 Member
    I concur with Joe. In 2003, I weighed roughly 425 lbs. If it wasn't for a lack of funds and insurance issues, I would've had gastric bypass surgery. Even though I haven't treated my health very well due to lack of consistency, I'm so glad that I didn't pursue it further. There's just something about having my insides re-routed and the possible long term effects, the whole idea didn't seem to be very good for me.

Laura, you can do this. Ask questions, lean us, and watch Joe's videos on YouTube. Be inspired to own your life. Good luck.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Give this a shot! Read Joe's story. He showed what can be done!

I had a cousin who had surgery and was thin for a long time but eventually got heavy again. This diet will help you to have tools to keep it off also!
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    I also agree with everyone's comment about the sugery, I've know 3 people who had it done and 2 out of them have major health problems. This is a great supportive group and OMAD is awesome. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm on all the time and love to chat :)
  • Mom2annie
    Thanks you guys. I'm still on the fence and will continue to keep focusing on OMAD. I feel like I need my free will taken from me through surgery but also feel I'm likely to regain later on.

The only person in my life that is staunchly against me having surgery is my aunt Georgia, she's a nurse. She's always been average sized but her lifelong best friend has always been super obese, so she's well aware of the struggles obesity causes. She stresses the importance of getting to the root of why one struggles with food and changing one's relationship with food. I get it...but it seems out of reach for me.

Through intermittent fasting, however, I feel like I have taken back at least some of the power food held over me. Not eating right when my body says to eat is empowering! I've also found that many of my guilty pleasure foods don't taste good anymore and I no longer crave them. That's huge for me. I'm actually having a hard time enjoying my meal each day (and eating enough calories) bc very little tastes good to me right now. Even the healthy foods I have always enjoyed have lost their appeal. Not sure what that's all about.

I have watched a ton of Joe's videos but haven't read anything really. I'll do that soon.

• blambo61
    Fasting will give you much more will power. You should start enjoying your meals though. I find now that everything tastes so good after fasting, even stuff I didn't like much before! Keep it going and you will adapt and get stronger. Over time, the change could be more than you have imagined!
  • dajoloehr
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Fasting will give you much more will power. You should start enjoying your meals though. I find now that everything tastes so good after fasting, even stuff I didn't like much before! Keep it going and you will adapt and get stronger. Over time, the change could be more than you have imagined!
    Yes! I get so excited planning my dinner and it's always so satisfying.
  • AdalineIF
    AdalineIF Posts: 21 Member
    Hi Laura, and good luck!

A very interesting article by Dr. Fung: Bariatrics is Surgically Enforced Fasting.

• pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Please do not have the operation, for yor sake and your family's, that is not the only way. I read of a young woman in France who had so many problems after the operation, went in deep depression and now has passed away as a result.

OMAD and moderate exercise is a good way to get there slowly but surely. There are many Youtube videos that are helpful and of course this group.

I am good at starting and not finishing things either - but with OMAD I hold on to dinner and fantasise about my only meal in the day and food tastes so much better.

• Mom2annie
    AdalineIF wrote: »
    Hi Laura, and good luck!

A very interesting article by Dr. Fung: Bariatrics is Surgically Enforced Fasting.

Thanks for this! I will read it today.
  • Mom2annie
    I know it's recommended here to only weigh yourself once a week, so I'm curious if any of you find any merit to the following taken from the Authority Nutrition website.

Your weight can fluctuate from day to day in response to several factors.

For this reason, people are often advised not to get on the scale every day when trying to lose weight.

While this seems to make sense, the opposite may actually be true.

Researchers have reported that daily weighing doesn’t lead to disordered eating or negative psychological effects such as poor body image (8, 9, 10).

In a six-month study, overweight and obese people who got on the scale every day took in fewer calories and lost an average of 10 lbs (4.5 kg) more than those who weighed themselves less frequently (11).

In another study, researchers looking at the weighing habits of 40 overweight people found that the more frequently participants weighed themselves, the more successful they were at losing weight (12).

It’s important to keep in mind that your weight can fluctuate from one day to the next due to hormonal changes and other factors that influence fluid balance, along with bowel movement frequency. These changes don’t reflect fat loss or gain.

However, weighing daily will provide accountability and confirm that your weight is trending in the right direction.

Source: https://authoritynutrition.com/8-weight-loss-tips-to-ignore/
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    I have a friend that had gastric bypass surgery and she had a lot of regrets. She was glad she lost weight, but it was not what she expected. She thought it was going to be easy. She thought it was just kind of just a "magical cure" to her weight problem. She didn't realize she was still going to have to put in work. She was going to have to watch what she ate and exercise and she actually threw up a lot of the things she did eat and a lot of food got stuck in her throat. She actually started to lose some hair too because of not getting enough protein so she had to drink protein shakes. OMAD is the easiest diet I've ever done. This is a way better option if you ask me. I hope you don't get the surgery but I wish you the best either way. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • vinyladdict
    Weighing daily, weekly, monthly, etc... is all personal preference. If you go into each weighing session knowing that your body can fluctuate and you're on good terms with your efforts, the numbers hopefully won't affect you too much. For me, weighing every day became a chore. The scale wasn't always accurate as I'd have to hop on and off numerous times to come to a solid number.

My weighing day is Saturday. I've had a great week so far with my meals and water intake. I'm actually looking forward to weighing and seeing a cumulative loss from the past week instead of a daily number that could possibly be all over the place.
  • blambo61
    Mom2annie wrote: »
    I know it's recommended here to only weigh yourself once a week, so I'm curious if any of you find any merit to the following taken from the Authority Nutrition website.

Your weight can fluctuate from day to day in response to several factors.

For this reason, people are often advised not to get on the scale every day when trying to lose weight.

While this seems to make sense, the opposite may actually be true.

Researchers have reported that daily weighing doesn’t lead to disordered eating or negative psychological effects such as poor body image (8, 9, 10).

In a six-month study, overweight and obese people who got on the scale every day took in fewer calories and lost an average of 10 lbs (4.5 kg) more than those who weighed themselves less frequently (11).

In another study, researchers looking at the weighing habits of 40 overweight people found that the more frequently participants weighed themselves, the more successful they were at losing weight (12).

It’s important to keep in mind that your weight can fluctuate from one day to the next due to hormonal changes and other factors that influence fluid balance, along with bowel movement frequency. These changes don’t reflect fat loss or gain.

However, weighing daily will provide accountability and confirm that your weight is trending in the right direction.

Source: https://authoritynutrition.com/8-weight-loss-tips-to-ignore/

I'm a data guy. It does not make logical sense (or math sense) to me to weigh only once/week due to the fluctuations. It does really bother some people though to see the fluctuations if they go the wrong way so for those that are affected that way, maybe once a week is better. I think seeing a fluctuation go the wrong way for one day only isn't as devistating as seeing it go the wrong way after a week (if your weekly measurement happens at a fluctuating peak).

I typically weigh myself every night before bed and every morning when I get up. I also will sometimes weigh myself after workouts or before dinner. For me, the more data the better. I also report my weekly loss on the day that I had my lowest weight and not on a set day due to the fluctuations and also due to variations in my exercise routine and the occasional lunch I need to eat with other people at work, etc..

I think there is real danger to weighing infrequently because you may do that weighing on a high fluctuation point and get real discouraged if you don't see a change over a long period of time. If you sample often and plot the data you can see the trend line through the noise and that is really what is going on. Just ignore the noise.

I've seen my weight go up and down 3-lbs from a normal splurge day just about every time I have a splurge day. I've seen it go up as much as 10-lbs after a couple day hunting trip and be back to normal in about 4 days (I did a ton of hiking and was holding a lot of water due to the tissue damage/repair). Women probably have more weight fluctuations than guys due to their monthly cycle. I vote for more data but everyone needs to decide what is best for them.
  • vinyladdict
    Great post. I'm also a data guy, but never thought about weighing for the purposes that you point out. Thank you.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Wow what a discussion! Wishing you strength and wisdom in your decision @Mom2annie! All I can say is that it's one of my life's goals to get cut as little as possible. You've found something powerful in OMAD, I believe. I think we all have. Please put that surgery off a year or so, give this your all and see what happens.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »

I'm a data guy. It does not make logical sense (or math sense) to me to weigh only once/week due to the fluctuations. It does really bother some people though to see the fluctuations if they go the wrong way so for those that are affected that way, maybe once a week is better. I think seeing a fluctuation go the wrong way for one day only isn't as devistating as seeing it go the wrong way after a week (if your weekly measurement happens at a fluctuating peak).

[/quote]

I'm a data girl as well! I've gained a pound from two days ago but I'd rather now than be shocked at the end of the week. I like knowing what may have contributed to my weight gain by examining myself daily. In this case, I'm 100% sure I gained because I was quite stressed (going through a breakup). This is an indicator that I need to address my stress levels asap. So I took half a day of vacation leave and will relax at home (broke so can't really do too much but it will be relaxing nonetheless).
    I'm planning a relaxing weekend for myself as well.

The more data the better for me so I can keep myself on track and recognize what factors affected me.

• blambo61
    1MADGIRL Hope all is well!
  • dajoloehr
    1MADGIRL wrote: »

I'm a data girl as well!
    Me to I like numbers more than people most of the time lol
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2017
    Last year when I weighed my heaviest (250 lbs). I just couldn't look at the scale every day. It was tough to look at it at all. I was so depressed and discouraged at the slightest things. If I had seen the slightest gain I probably would have given up the diet. After seeing my losses after a week and then another week, I was losing weight, but I still only looked at the scale once a week. I had to stop the diet for a while because of health issues, but I never gained the weight back. I started the diet back up about 5 months ago and I look at the scale almost every day now, but I'm in a lot better mind frame this time and I know this diet works for sure and it's very interesting to see how the scale goes up and down, but when I get to my weekly weigh in, it's almost always down.