Wanted: Chinese Recipes

Options
1thankful_momma
1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Hi, I love the open thread links! Thanks for doing that.
I was wondering if anyone would find open thread links to recipes by topic helpful? I was/am looking for Chinese, so I thought 'wouldn't it be cool to have a Chinese Recipe open link.'
Thx,

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I can change the title, and this thread could be it. People could post their recipes/links here. I that ok?
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    Perfect. If I had a Chinese recipe I'd post it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @food_lover16 -

Look up Crack Slaw or Uber Crack Slaw
    Atkins has a half decent broccoli beef recipe
    Skinnytaste has a great (beef) pepper steak recipe that could be modified and served with cauli-rice
    -- They also have a fab chicken and snow peas or asparagus stir fry that was awesome... (low carb, but not M/H F)
    Ruled.Me has a great egg drop soup recipe
    Someone had a decent crab rangoon recipe, using iron dough for wrappers, I think

Let us know what type of flavors/types of Chinese food you're going for here, and we can give better ideasl
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe but I love riced cauliflower in place of regular rice in stir fries. Trader Joe's has a frozen one that requires zero prep and has less water content. I use it *all the time* for kimchi fried rice and other Korean cooking.
    Toss in some sesame oil for flavor and your veggies and preferred protein. Easy peasy.
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/fried_rice.html
    FRIED "RICE"
    10-15 ounces fresh cauliflower, grated, about 1/2 head
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Cooking oil, 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    1 egg, beaten
    3 green onions, chopped
    Dash pepper, optional

Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet on medium to medium-high. Add the cauliflower and garlic; stir-fry until the cauliflower is nearly tender, but not mushy. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Push the cauliflower to one side of the pan; pour in the beaten egg. Lightly scramble the egg briefly then mix into the cauliflower. Add the green onion and pepper, if using, and toss.

Makes 4-6 servings
    Freezing not recommended

Per 1/6 recipe: 86 Calories; 6g Fat; 3g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
    Per 1/8 recipe: 64 Calories; 5g Fat; 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't a recipe, but I'll share a tip... to get that super tender meat texture that Chinese food has, chop up your meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb) then coat it in baking soda, let it sit for at least 15 mins and then rinse it off with water and dry it with a paper towel before you cook it. It'll change your world, I promise!!! :smiley:

Chinese restaurants take it a step further by velveting the meat (coating it with a super light dusting of cornstarch before pan-frying/woking it) but that's not too low carb friendly and I don't think almond flour would quite do the trick. But the baking soda alone makes a massive difference.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't a recipe, but I'll share a tip... to get that super tender meat texture that Chinese food has, chop up your meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb) then coat it in baking soda, let it sit for at least 15 mins and then rinse it off with water and dry it with a paper towel before you cook it. It'll change your world, I promise!!! :smiley:

Chinese restaurants take it a step further by velveting the meat (coating it with a super light dusting of cornstarch before pan-frying/woking it) but that's not too low carb friendly and I don't think almond flour would quite do the trick. But the baking soda alone makes a massive difference.

That's a totally cool tip....I'm definitely gonna try that! I always wondered why their meat was different.
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/spicy_pepper_beef.html
    SPICY PEPPER BEEF
    Marinade:
    6 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 pounds top sirloin steak, sliced thinly across the grain
    3 tablespoons oil, divided
    1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 green bell peppers, julienned
    1 red bell pepper, julienned
    1 medium onion, sliced thin, 4 ounces
    1 teaspoon granular Splenda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional

Put the sliced beef in a zipper bag and add the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir 5 seconds. Add the beef and marinade. Stir-fry just until the meat is no longer pink, about 1-2 minutes. Remove the beef and keep warm. Add the peppers and onions to the pan with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cook until tender-crisp, 1-2 minutes. Return the beef to the pan; stir in the Splenda, salt, pepper and sesame oil. If you would like to thicken the sauce, push the meat and peppers to one side of the pan. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat. Quickly stir it in and toss everything together. The sauce should thicken by serving time without further cooking.

Makes about 6 servings
    Do not freeze

Per Serving: 300 Calories; 16g Fat; 32g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/stirfried_beef_and_peppers.html
    STIR-FRIED BEEF & PEPPERS
    1 tablespoon oil
    1 pound top sirloin steak, sliced very thin against the grain
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
    1 small onion, sliced thin, 2 1/2 ounces
    1 small yellow bell pepper, julienned, about 3 1/2 ounces
    1 small red bell pepper, julienned, about 3 1/2 ounces
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon oyster sauce
    1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
    4 ounces raw baby spinach, about 8 cups loosely packed

In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil. Stir-fry the beef, garlic and ginger over high heat just until the steak is partially browned and some pink remains, maybe 30 seconds to a minute. Add the onions and peppers; stir-fry until tender-crisp about 1 minute or so. Stir in the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the meat and vegetables then stir in well. Cook very briefly just until the sauce thickens and coats everything. Serve over the raw spinach. It will look like a lot of spinach per serving but it wilts down as the hot beef mixture sits on it. There was just the right amount to get a bite of spinach with each forkful of the beef and peppers.

Makes 4 servings
    Do not freeze

Per Serving: 203 Calories; 8g Fat; 25g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs