Oh KALE no!

Options
2»

Replies

• suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes, PaleoInScotland , I found the same. Just tiny little chopped up pieces - I tried it anyway but it was horrible. Can't make chips with them (or chips at all, more like crumbled, bitter seaweed). I'm in the SW, near Bath.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it with grape tomatoes sauteed in olive oil and fresh garlic. I love kale chips!
  • ShanBanKrup
    ShanBanKrup Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @cadori glad somebody finally caught on! Like what I did there? It's actually from a fast food commercial.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like kale chips too. Otherwise kale is just for the garnish on the buffet table. ;)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Whole kale leaf is available from Sainsburys in the UK :-)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Omg thank you @marthafox1 :smiley: that's literally the only grocery store I've never shopped at!!! Will have to find one this weekend!
  • CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I love kale chips too. Rub them with olive oil, sprinkle salt and throw them in the oven...I usually do 400 degrees...until they're crisp. You can flavor them with other things, but I like just salt.

I also do this with the outside leaves that fall off of my brussels sprouts when I'm prepping them.

The trick for me has been 275 degrees for 20 minutes, stir, bake 5 more minutes, then turn off oven and let them sit for a while. I always had trouble with burning them before switching to that method! But we lurve kale chips in our house.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love kale salad, but you have to massage the leaves with olive oil and let it sit first to break it down, then you can add the other salad ingredients.
  • tierrafuego
    tierrafuego Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try plum vinegar on kale, it's just the right kick to give flavor & balance to sautéed kale.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Steamed or boiled until tender. I treat it like spinach.

Tried kale chips. My tongue KNOWS..... they're not chips... lol
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I tried it in my salad and boy was it bitter .....but it is yummy sauteed in butter and garlic

I was just thinking about sautéing in bacon grease.

That's my favorite way to enjoy kale. Fry up some bacon, set it aside, cook up the kale with some chopped garlic then add the bacon back in. Yum, yum!
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always cut it up and add it soups and stews. Tuscan or Dinosaur is my favorite kind of kale, I find the curly kale a little tough to eat.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I tried it in my salad and boy was it bitter .....but it is yummy sauteed in butter and garlic

I was just thinking about sautéing in bacon grease.

Use bacon grease and garlic, heavenly stuff. I add it to cabbage, onions, and garlic as well. I love all greens, so if I have a variety on hand, I just mix them all together and saute them.