How long to rest? Between sets and between workouts?

Options
I just started weight training this week (first workout was Wednesday). My gym has FreeMotion brand cable machines set out in a circuit path. Since I'm such I'm weakling, my plan is to start out using those until I can actually lift the barbell, then switch to free weights.

I'm doing three sets of ten at five pounds right now, with about thirty seconds between sets. Is that enough time to rest, or do I need more?

The next day I was super sore, which I expected, I was still sore the following day, which I wasn't expecting. I skipped my workout yesterday because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to rest until I wasn't sore anymore.

Replies

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    hi, Im no expert and have not been lift very long but from what iv read and what my husband has said you sould be looking at 45-60 second rest between sets
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You rest as much as you need to in order to complete the next set. There is no set time limit. Somedays I need less recovery time than others. I like at least one day between lifting days, when doing full body or same body parts. If doing a split, you can lift on consecutive days.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to do cardio on the day off between strength training days?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    l3long wrote: »
    Is it okay to do cardio on the day off between strength training days?

Yes. At least I do. Heck, I do cardio everyday, even lifting days. Listen to your body. If you do too much cardio and then you can't lift, then cut back or rest more.