Adjusting Carb intake

Options
Hi everyone,

I was watching a recent video with Dr Stephen Phinney and he was talking about how the research shows 'ketone levels' between 0.5-3.0 seem to be an 'optimal zone'.

I am just over a week in and have been keeping my carbs around 20g and my ketone 'stick' seems to have a value closer to 8 on the colour scale.

Should I add a few more carbs to see if this helps to bring down that number whilst staying in Ketosis?

OR do these numbers only matter when you become fully adapted because my body is just flushing the keytones as it can't properly use them yet?

A: 37
W. 79.6 (lost 3kg already and noticeable!)
P. 116 C. 25 F. 95

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Drink 32oz of broth, then try another pee stick?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/36676790
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    His numbers are referencing testing done with a blood meter not the urine test strips.
    Unless you're using a blood meter you have no way of knowing where your ketones are as compared to his optimal zone.

The urine strips are highly influenced by how much fluid you take in. They will get lighter if you drink a lot and darker if you don't. It doesn't actually change how many ketones you make, it just changes the concentration of what is spilling out in the urine.

Only blood testing can actually tell you where you fall on Phinneys chart.
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sunny Bunny.
    I had not realised about the blood meter. Thank you for explaining so well. Makes perfect sense.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Sunny- or anyone..I have been using the ReliOn brand meter..and when the device is COLD (left in unheated bathroom) my FBG jumps 20-30+ points, left in slightly warmer LR overnight, it read (say) 123, but when warmed in my bathrobe pocket 3 min. it was 105..I tested holding over the warm gas heater, and got lowest of all...anyone finding this? higher or lower? The

Because we are having the coldest winter in 17 years, and my cottage is old andd heat is off at night, so might have been getting too high numbers for a month!

any other relate to this?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sunny- or anyone..I have been using the ReliOn brand meter..and when the device is COLD (left in unheated bathroom) my FBG jumps 20-30+ points, left in slightly warmer LR overnight, it read (say) 123, but when warmed in my bathrobe pocket 3 min. it was 105..I tested holding over the warm gas heater, and got lowest of all...anyone finding this? higher or lower? The

Because we are having the coldest winter in 17 years, and my cottage is old andd heat is off at night, so might have been getting too high numbers for a month!

any other relate to this?

I haven't ever heard of that. I guess it makes sense that temperature can affect it though.
    I have never tested in extreme temperatures. I'll have to ask my daughter if she's noticed anything like that since she tests multiple times every day no matter where she is.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @KETOGENICGURL - FYI, the user manual for the Contour Next meter advises:
    Let the meter and test strips adjust to the temperature where you are testing.
    Whenever the meter is moved from one location to another, allow approximately 20 minutes for the meter to adjust to the temperature of a new location before performing a blood glucose test. The meter has been designed to give accurate results at temperatures between 41° and 113°F.

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The Relion Prime has the same operational temperature range. Maybe I will try a couple of readings. My home office is high 50's, and that is where I keep my meter and strips. I'll try a reading an hour after breakfast, stick the meter in my pocket to warm it up and check again.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    OK - glucose an hour after eating a cheese omelette was 109. I put the meter in my pocket for 10 minutes to warm it up a little. Glucose this time was 94.
  • ut26a22
    ut26a22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is important to remember that home BG meters are not as accurate as lab testing. 15%-20% variation in results is normal for this equipment. The results I am seeing posted are all within the normal variation of the meter. Even lab testing will have as much as a 10% allowable difference, don't stress small (less than 20 points or so) changes and watch mainly for patterns or trends.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I did the back to back tests again, and got 97 and 84. I understand about the accuracy of the meter and all. I am claiming the meter (or mine anyway) is probably temperature sensitive. For the sake of consistent numbers and convenience, I will just leave mine at room temp. I want numbers that show trends and minimize variables.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I did the back to back tests again, and got 97 and 84. I understand about the accuracy of the meter and all. I am claiming the meter (or mine anyway) is probably temperature sensitive. For the sake of consistent numbers and convenience, I will just leave mine at room temp. I want numbers that show trends and minimize variables.

I would agree with this. Variance based on temp is not so important if you are using it at a consistent temp. The trends are far more important than the actual numbers given the industry standard is to only be accurate to within 15%.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    2t9nty wrote: »

I would agree with this. Variance based on temp is not so important if you are using it at a consistent temp. The trends are far more important than the actual numbers given the industry standard is to only be accurate to within 15%.

As you've pointed out before, tracking trends is another reason to test often and consistently.

Whatever the common meter foibles and industry standards may be, according to meter reviews, some meters simply give more accurate and repeatable results than others.