Salted butter in bulletproof coffee

Options
I know everyone says you should use unsalted butter in Keto Coffee / Bulletproof Coffee, but I've been using salted (Kerrygold) butter for the last 2-3 weeks & I absolutely love the taste. Today I tried it with unsalted butter for the first time & I am really NOT a big fan at all. I know the original creator of this coffee says "it's a crime" to use salted butter in this recipe, but I wonder if it's just because of his personal taste buds. I know places like Starbucks sell salted coffee drinks -so I really don't see a logical problem with using salted butter here either. Any thoughts??

Replies

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    When you eat a very low carb diet, it can be tough to maintain your electrolytes anyway, so if you enjoy salty butter in your coffee, why not? I drink my coffee with double cream, but I tried the whole buttered coffee thing once and all I had in the fridge was salted butter, tasted fine to me too, not that I plan on doing it again.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Shhhhh. I think I lose my LC card holder status by saying this but..... I think BPC is gross. If salted butter makes it better I might try it again.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Only stopped by to let you know you aren't alone. :)
  • sumrdream
    sumrdream Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Plus if you add a little maple syrup with the salted butter it tastes like butterscotch! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I always liked salted better too.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My "BPC" is salted butter and cream. I don't like unsalted butter in my coffee.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I have done both. I think salted is fine. It certainly isn't hurting anything, and if you like the taste then who cares what others think?
  • chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    They make unsalted butter?? haha :p I can't do unsalted butter in anything I think it taste so much better in BPC
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I salt my coffee everyday. I don't butter my coffee often but salt is every day. It enhances the flavour IMO.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'll try that! I had BPC for the first time this morning. Used unsalted butter, coconut oil and also added vanilla creme liquid stevia. I bet salted butter with caramel flavored stevia would taste really good
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I know the original creator of this coffee says "it's a crime"

Well, Dave Asprey is a piece of work himself. His last visit on the Joe Rogan podcast exposed some BS in his claims. Bullet-poof!

Anyhow, just my .02, I call my sweet cream butter/mct oil coffee: Unbeatable Coffee. Hell, Dave just copied an age old recipe when he went to Tibet. They called it Butter Tea. I roast my own green beans from Burmancoffee.com. I used to buy from Sweet Maria's, but their beans are dirty and put off way too much caffe. Burman beans come out perfect.

Here you go:

Joe Rogan Exposes Dave Asprey and Bulletproof Coffee for False Claims on Mycotoxins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwY4H3cNTH0[/media]

• motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BishopLord wrote: »
    Well, Dave Asprey is a piece of work himself. His last visit on the Joe Rogan podcast exposed some BS in his claims. Bullet-poof!

Anyhow, just my .02, I call my sweet cream butter/mct oil coffee: Unbeatable Coffee. Hell, Dave just copied an age old recipe when he went to Tibet. They called it Butter Tea.....

Wow that's interesting. I've never even heard of mycotoxins & all that stuff before. Honestly, I never even heard of BPC up until a month ago when I started looking at YouTube videos about what people eat on a Ketogenic diet. Regardless, I'm glad this guy made this simple coffee recipe well known (or else I never would have drank this stuff), even if his "facts" are a bit off.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love salted butter in my coffee! Coffee, coconut oil, salted butter and eggs...that's my favorite mix!*

*Which I guess is not really bulletproof coffee. Oh well. Tastes awesome and fills me up.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Shhhhh. I think I lose my LC card holder status by saying this but..... I think BPC is gross. If salted butter makes it better I might try it again.

Me too. Heavy cream---bring it. Butter--- is solid. And....yellow. :)

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    HWC - yum, salt - yum, butter - ick!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I drink a morning cup of coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil blended together. This is my interpretation of "bullit resistant coffee" or something. At work I just put heavy whipping cream in a cup mid afternoon. All the magic bullet(proof) claims seemed a little out there.

Yesterday was my day off, and inspired by this thread, I tried some salted butter in my mid afternoon cup o' joe. I prefer the taste of the coconut oil, but conceptually it is the same thing - jolt of caffeine and 100(ish) calories of fat to keep the hungries at bay and provide a little energy boost.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

We can start a covert underground group of our own. I tried it once and was completely baffled at its popularity.

Ditto with coconut oil in anything. I bought a giant tub of the stuff at Costco and now have a lifetime supply of cuticle oil and hair masque. At my age, probably a lifetime plus ten years; I'll have to dispose of it in a codicil to my will, perhaps to one of my younger cousins.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'll join the covert underground group of abstainers.

I do like butter whipped up in a cup of salty broth for a tasty hit of sodium and fat.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'll join the covert underground group of abstainers.

I do like butter whipped up in a cup of salty broth for a tasty hit of sodium and fat.

That sounds awesome. I am going to try that