Keto diet

Options
So I'm on the keto diet, I have been on this diet sense January 15th. January 15th I was 205 today February 7th 188!! I get to eat my favorite foods and all of that jazz, my question is anyone on this way of eating do lab results? If What was the outcome?

Replies

• MrsReta101
    MrsReta101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm on week 3 and I've failed every week. How many calories are you taking in? I keep going over and I'm bloated. Any advise?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    On the main page, you can look under this link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10423197/open-threads-member-threads-on-low-carb-topics#latest

You will see a list of threads about lots of topics including some about labs.

One thing you can expect from changing to this WOE is triglycerides (the most dangerous part of cholesterol) will almost always go down and HDL (good cholesterol) will almost always go up. LDL (frequently called bad cholesterol, but you will learn in some of those threads that newer research disputes painting it with a broad brush) may go up, down or stay flat.

BG (blood glucose) will almost always go down which is a good thing. Insulin will almost always go down (also a good thing as insulin is required to store and retain fat).
  • cstehansen
    Options
    MrsReta101 wrote: »
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm on week 3 and I've failed every week. How many calories are you taking in? I keep going over and I'm bloated. Any advise?

Have you read what is in the launch pad?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'll have blood work done again in like April/May so I'm excited to see how that looks. I do know that keto has lowered my blood pressure though. So, that's a win! :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I had blood drawn yesterday and I am eagerly awaiting the results... my last results (from July) were the best results that I have had in my adult life! As soon as I have the results, I will post them for folks here.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options

I would forget about calories right now and concentrate on finding your macro's where you feel full. Get enough protein in, fat to satiety and you'll have this life style down to a T. It takes some time getting used to keto and getting your head around everything you can eat vs what you cannot.

What does a normal day look like for you, food wise?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'll have blood work done again in like April/May so I'm excited to see how that looks. I do know that keto has lowered my blood pressure though. So, that's a win! :)
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I had blood drawn yesterday and I am eagerly awaiting the results... my last results (from July) were the best results that I have had in my adult life! As soon as I have the results, I will post them for folks here.
    So I'm on the keto diet, I have been on this diet sense January 15th. January 15th I was 205 today February 7th 188!! I get to eat my favorite foods and all of that jazz, my question is anyone on this way of eating do lab results? If What was the outcome?

In addition to what @cstehansen has posted, I'd just note that preliminary lipid tests (while you're still in weight-loss mode) may not be a very good reflection of where your values will settle after you've reached your target weight and have held it stable for a couple of months.

So.... I keep an eye on as many lipids as I can get my doctors to order tests for, but I'm not going to change much until I hit maintenance mode.

(I believe this is reflected in the LCD LaunchPad - see ref above - but if I find a specific cite, I'll post it.)
  • ivasmom2011
    ivasmom2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Well keto isn't really about calories it's about consuming more fat than your protein and carbs combined in grams. I consume about 1200 - 1900 calories a day at times. My protein is usually at 60 - 70 grams my carbs are under 20 grams and my fats are about 90 to 115
  • ivasmom2011
    Options

I've checked my blood sugar levels in the morning after a fast and it was about 99 which is okay I guess but I was thinking it should be lower. Whenever you get your blood results can you post if they are better on here?
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

That's excellent how long have you been on keto? And yes please definitely post them
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF since April of last year. I went keto in September and have been pure carnivore for the last month.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Well keto isn't really about calories it's about consuming more fat than your protein and carbs combined in grams. I consume about 1200 - 1900 calories a day at times. My protein is usually at 60 - 70 grams my carbs are under 20 grams and my fats are about 90 to 115

It's really more about eating low enough carbs to force your body to make its own glucose which puts you into ketosis.
    Weather or not your dietary protein plus carb grams are higher or lower than your fat grams is irrelevant. The body fat used for energy is also a factor in the total fat grams used for energy.
    If I ate 90g protein, 25g carbs equaling 115g but only ate 90g fat, I'd still be in ketosis because my body will be forced to make its own glucose. The rest of my energy would come from bodyfat and that's what puts the fat grams over.
  • ivasmom2011
    Options

It's really more about eating low enough carbs to force your body to make its own glucose which puts you into ketosis.
    Weather or not your dietary protein plus carb grams are higher or lower than your fat grams is irrelevant. The body fat used for energy is also a factor in the total fat grams used for energy.
    If I ate 90g protein, 25g carbs equaling 115g but only ate 90g fat, I'd still be in ketosis because my body will be forced to make its own glucose. The rest of my energy would come from bodyfat and that's what puts the fat grams over.

Combined it's the goal/point in keto. What you stated is Also included.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options

Weather or not your dietary protein plus carb grams are higher or lower than your fat grams is irrelevant.
    The body fat used for energy is also a factor in the total fat grams used for energy.

Yep, that sounds on target.

Phinney & Volek discourage using proportions to evaluate your macros.

Rather, the trick is to figure out just how low you need to go with your net carbs, at this point in your life, in order to induce ketosis (and, if you're diabetic, to keep your protein within your target range - in grams - in order to avoid having excess protein converted to blood glucose).

"Fat to satiety" pretty much dispels the idea that you need to hit any magic minimum, maximum or ratio to stay in ketosis.
  • cstehansen
    Options

In response to the initial question, I would recommend reading this thread and the link in it prior to labs so you can have a better perspective on the results:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10513958/better-way-to-look-at-risk-based-on-labs#latest

If you want more in depth on my labs and several other people who have responded with theirs, you may want to look at this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490291/interesting-dr-follow-up-with-lchf-friendly-doc-for-t2#latest

Additionally, here are a few sites regarding blood lipids I found helpful:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/01/does-dietary-saturated-fat-increase.html
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824152/
    http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/breakthroughs/859
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2016-06-13-study-says-theres-no-link-between-cholesterol-and-heart-disease/

The info is confusing at best. What is clear is a) the link between diet and cholesterol can't be shown except for a small segment of the population which has some type of genetic pre-disposition. Even Ansel Keys, the man who first initiated this hypothesis later recanted, b) the link between cholesterol and heart disease and other diseases is not as cut and dry as is commonly believed. Many of the numbers need to be broken down further such as there are multiple types of LDL and multiple types of HDL as well as L(p)a which seems to be a larger factor than either of them and triglycerides which, although generally reported in labs, doesn't seem to get the attention it should given the detrimental effects it has on damaging artery walls.
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I've checked my blood sugar levels in the morning after a fast and it was about 99 which is okay I guess but I was thinking it should be lower. Whenever you get your blood results can you post if they are better on here?[/quote]

FBS (fasting blood sugars) is more gradual - from what i understand it take a bit of time for that to go down. If you are diabetic i would focus on how low you go 2 hours after meals.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    rabbyduby wrote: »
    I've checked my blood sugar levels in the morning after a fast and it was about 99 which is okay I guess but I was thinking it should be lower. Whenever you get your blood results can you post if they are better on here?

FBS (fasting blood sugars) is more gradual - from what i understand it take a bit of time for that to go down. If you are diabetic i would focus on how low you go 2 hours after meals.

If you're diabetic, you might want to check before, 60, 90, and 120 minutes after you start eating - there are distinct patterns of hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia, and if you wait till 2 hours after you've finished, you may miss a significant, earlier spike (as in my case :s ).

Great tips on checking and managing blood glucose at http://www.chriskresser.com.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done this past Saturday. My cholesterol (good and bad) are absolutely perfect and everything else is right on point. I go for blood work quiet often because of some health issues and this was probably the best one I have had yet. Was so pleasantly surprised. Gives me some actual "proof" to show people
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Keto has helped my normalize all of my BG except FBG. My FBG was great while I was losing but once I stopped it jumped back up to prediabetic numbers. It is usually my highest number of the entire day, including after meals.

So, overall my BG is way down. LCHF helped me hugely with that.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

My blood pressure was lowered ... blood sugar for me hasn't really been a huge issue, though I haven't really tested recently. There was a time I was testing regularly, and it always fell in normal ranges. But, yes I can certainly share my results when I get blood work done again. :)