Super Simple Protein Balls

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Made these last night at home, no recipe, just pulled some things out of the cupboard.

Super simple Protein balls.

80g Protein Powder of your choice (I have a chocolate one I like)
60g Almond flour
80g melted butter
25g desiccated coconut

*if you use unflavoured protein powder you can add flavouring such as cocoa, coffee or peanut butter or whatever you like.

Mix together, roll into balls and refrigerate. You can roll them in some more desiccated coconut before you refrigerate if you want to. I make 11 and they have 125 cals each (1.5g carbs).

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    PIX?
  • DietPrada
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    PIX?

They're at home and I'm at work, but they're about an inch and a half round, brown, and covered in coconut. Not much to look at. But you get the idea. Just thought it was easy for people like me who want a mobile snack and have the basics in the kitchen.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Is it too much to ask for someone to invent a protein ball that does not include coconut or peanut butter? I always get to excited, until I read ingredients. LOL Poor poor me, I know.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask for someone to invent a protein ball that does not include coconut or peanut butter? I always get to excited, until I read ingredients. LOL Poor poor me, I know.

Are you allergic or just don't like them? (I confess, I LOVE both.)
  • DietPrada
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Don't put coconut in them. You could use just almond flour, protein powder and butter (flavourings of your choice).
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I despise the taste of coconut, and the texture is very offputting. The only ways I've ever been able to do PB is heavily sweetened, and can only sometimes eat peanuts. I can eat most other nuts (walnuts and pecans tend to be problematic for me, causing scratchy throat), but I've not braved other nut butters due to my extremely negative reaction to peanut butter despite sometimes tolerating peanuts - especially as they are cost prohibitive. I have eaten Nutella in my former junkie state (trying to nourish my missing happiness in a bad marriage), but I still see it as, oh, how did someone put it, a "gateway carb." I find that I slide back into the comfort of sugary junk way too easily.

I LOVE the idea of protein balls, and I can probably do the protein powder side okay...but nearly all the recipes have coconut to hold them together or peanut butter or dates/raisins or just...weird stuff. I'm willing to try just about anything, but man...those are at the top of my "oh please no" list...
  • DietPrada
    Options

I despise the taste of coconut, and the texture is very offputting. The only ways I've ever been able to do PB is heavily sweetened, and can only sometimes eat peanuts. I can eat most other nuts (walnuts and pecans tend to be problematic for me, causing scratchy throat), but I've not braved other nut butters due to my extremely negative reaction to peanut butter despite sometimes tolerating peanuts - especially as they are cost prohibitive. I have eaten Nutella in my former junkie state (trying to nourish my missing happiness in a bad marriage), but I still see it as, oh, how did someone put it, a "gateway carb." I find that I slide back into the comfort of sugary junk way too easily.

I LOVE the idea of protein balls, and I can probably do the protein powder side okay...but nearly all the recipes have coconut to hold them together or peanut butter or dates/raisins or just...weird stuff. I'm willing to try just about anything, but man...those are at the top of my "oh please no" list...

I don't think the coconut helped to hold mine together, in fact I think the opposite is true. I think they'd hold together without it, and I'll test that theory next time. You could also dust them with almond flour or cocoa or whatever. The butter is what holds them together. I think you could also use butter/cream cheese.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @EbonyDahlia - I think it's usually the unsweetened shredded coconut folks use to hold them together. I just know if it tastes like coconut, I'm really not as likely to eat it.

I'll have to play around with that. I have unflavored protein powder right now... Thanks for the suggestion.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Add more almond flour to replace the coconut? Baking protein powder holds together pretty well. I've made some with butter, protein powder, and water. And they held together pretty well. I'm sure they're not as good as that recipe looks though.
  • DietPrada
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Add more almond flour to replace the coconut? Baking protein powder holds together pretty well. I've made some with butter, protein powder, and water. And they held together pretty well. I'm sure they're not as good as that recipe looks though.

I didn't bake them. And the coconut I used was very coarse and didn't contribute to the holding together - I only added it as I had some in the cupboard. Protein powder, almond flour and butter would do just as well.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I had missed the almond flour in the initial posts. I haven't liked it much in general...which is crazy to me, because I love almonds themselves. I might try to make some hazelnut flour or something...
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have 2 different brands of almond flour, and I have found that I like the taste and texture of the one that doesn't appear to have the skins ground in to the flour. I think one is almond meal and one is almond flour. It makes a taste difference to me.