Spiralizer Question

Options
Ringbearer2
Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
I have decided to add a spiralizer to my collection of kitchen gadgets. I've seen 2 kinds---one is hand held and the other mounts to the counter with suction cups and operates with a crank. Any opinions on which model is better? I'm interested in making zucchini and butternut squash noodles, but any other suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Personally I use the hand held one, and I cook for 1-4 people. Quick, easy and takes up very little space.

I zoodle butternut squash, zucchini, cabbage, carrots, sweet potato, beetroot. Any hard vegetable goes.

Great for taking the chopping out of making your own coleslaw. And you can make your own funky "spaghetti" I mix zucchini with other spiralized vegetables, works a treat and looks good to the eye too.
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    Thanks Bonny! Does yours have more than one blade for thick/thin?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Mine has only the two settings, noodles or very thinly sliced (which I use to make vegetable crisps etc)

Mine is about two years old, looks like two giant pencil sharpeners put together where one end does mandolin and the other julienne, but it has served me well so far. I am sure there are newer and funkier ones on the market now.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have the countertop version which works fine, with three different blades for different shapes. I predict that those four little suction cups are going to be the first parts to go; suction cups usually are, no matter where they show up.

My only suggestion: if a product boasts "As Seen on TV" my first response is to clutch my credit cards and flee like a startled deer.

Bonny: one of those three blades could indeed be used for making veggie crisps; I could never figure out what its purpose was. Just goes to prove: 50+ years in the kitchen and we can still learn new things. Thanks!!
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    Thanks @mandycat223! Yeah I totally agree about the ASOTV. All the plastic ones kinda look like they could fall into that category :).
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    It sounds like I have the same one as @mandycat223 and would agree the suction cups will likely be the first part to go. Zucchini is the main thing I spiralize. I keep thinking I should try something else, but I actually started using it less since I found shiratake noodles which have 0 net carbs and are super cheap.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I have the type that suctions to the counter and cranks. I haven't used a handheld for comparison, but mine works really fast. It was a gift and I love it.

It has 4 blades, but we typically user the larger, spaghetti blade for our zucchini. I tried the angel hair blade and it was way too thin for me.

We make zoodles regularly and usually have sausage and pesto with it, or beef stroganoff.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kinds, the hand held cone shaped one (spiralizer) - one side for thin and one side for thick...plus a mandarin shaped one that just has one size (pampered chef)...I like the mandarin one best because you end up with noodles the length of your vegetables - and it's supposed to rice cauliflower, though I haven't actually tried that...the spiralizer makes loooooong noodles that tend to clump in a saute pan and are kind of a pain to cook unless you take the extra step to cut them shorter...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have the inexpensive Vegetti that works fine for zoodles. $14.95. It's the one that looks like a 2 sided pencil sharpener. I use a mandolin far more frequently.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have the paderno 3 blade countertop model, and I love it. It is a bit bulkier, but I don't have to try to manipulate a hand held spiralizer and a vegetable which is good because I'm a klutz. The paderno only ran me $20 on amazon.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have the paderno 3 blade countertop model, and I love it. It is a bit bulkier, but I don't have to try to manipulate a hand held spiralizer and a vegetable which is good because I'm a klutz. The paderno only ran me $20 on amazon.

I used to have that one too, was nervous about it as it looked so cheap, but it was sturdy as heck!
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I'm pretty uncoordinated so I'm leaning towards a model that stays put :).
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lol, I am so easily led. Have ordered my spiralizer :-)
  • Ringbearer2
    Options
    Which one did you choose?
  • TravellerRay
    Options
    One by Mueller. Plastic with metal blades. Can't wait to play :-)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've owned a handheld one for a long time, and have had no complaints; it works totally fine.
    But recently I used a friend's countertop model and HOLY CRAP! It might as well have been a power tool for how fast it zipped through those zucchinis! :smiley:
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had a hand held one at first from the local dollar store. It did the job when I wanted to see if I liked zucchini noodles but found it hard to clean as I dong have a dishwasher. I've since invested in the counter top one and love it.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the one that mounts onto my kitchen aid mixer. It is truly great if you are doing a whole lot of veggies. It also has the mandolins thick, thin and in between . Expensive though.
  • TravellerRay
    Options
    Made first meal last night with the spiralizer. Salmon, ribbons of carrots and courgettes with a. Salsa dressing. Everything except the salmon used the spiralizer. We absolutely loved it. Will play again tonight :smile: