Free as a bird

2»

Replies

• 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Flybeetle wrote: »
    Thanks @leveejohn for adding your insights! I'm not even overweight (in the middle of normal BMI, but it takes me always trying to eat at a deficit to stay there) yet I used to feel faint and awful if I didn't have food every two hours. If I stretched that to three or four hours I'd feel so jittery and nauseous that I would genuinely believe that if I didn't have a snack then my body would not cope and I might actually faint.
    IF has changed this for me! First, starting 16/8, I'd feel awful from 10am onwards and could barely make it to midday wondering if I was too faint to even drive safely. Then, extending my fast, I went through the same thing again, only now I knew that my body would be ok, that it was just an adjustment.
    I now don't have the foggy brain anymore nor the faint-sensations, but I do still get hungry: stomach growling and cramping for long periods (up to 30min) throughout the day regardless of drinking I HEAP of herbal tea and water.
    I think it's partly from eating at a deficit, I think there's always hunger when trying to lose weight as your body is trying to maintain homeostasis (the same weight), but hopefully some of it is due to adjusting my insulin resistance and it will get easier. Yesterday definitely was!

This is exactly what happened to me. I couldnt work without eating every few hours. I would eat just so I can continue working. When I swapped food for protein shakes and then eventually OMAD I adapted and now I don't need to eat every few hours just to function
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one like that! And isn't it a relief now..? I also used to get incredibly irritable if I was "due" for a snack or meal, now I have that towards the end of my fasting window because I still find it hard some days... I wish they'd teach us about insulin and fat vs sugar burning in high school!!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one like that! And isn't it a relief now..? I also used to get incredibly irritable if I was "due" for a snack or meal, now I have that towards the end of my fasting window because I still find it hard some days... I wish they'd teach us about insulin and fat vs sugar burning in high school!!

I was right there with you. Wouldn't we have had a different life if they would have taught us this simple thing. I don't believe the health professionals tell us about this now. Too bad!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Thanks @leveejohn for adding your insights! I'm not even overweight (in the middle of normal BMI, but it takes me always trying to eat at a deficit to stay there) yet I used to feel faint and awful if I didn't have food every two hours. If I stretched that to three or four hours I'd feel so jittery and nauseous that I would genuinely believe that if I didn't have a snack then my body would not cope and I might actually faint.
    IF has changed this for me! First, starting 16/8, I'd feel awful from 10am onwards and could barely make it to midday wondering if I was too faint to even drive safely. Then, extending my fast, I went through the same thing again, only now I knew that my body would be ok, that it was just an adjustment.
    I now don't have the foggy brain anymore nor the faint-sensations, but I do still get hungry: stomach growling and cramping for long periods (up to 30min) throughout the day regardless of drinking I HEAP of herbal tea and water.
    I think it's partly from eating at a deficit, I think there's always hunger when trying to lose weight as your body is trying to maintain homeostasis (the same weight), but hopefully some of it is due to adjusting my insulin resistance and it will get easier. Yesterday definitely was!

This is exactly what happened to me. I couldnt work without eating every few hours. I would eat just so I can continue working. When I swapped food for protein shakes and then eventually OMAD I adapted and now I don't need to eat every few hours just to function

I read some posts on the IF forum and I read where new people struggle to do a 16:8 diet! That just seems crazy to me to not to be able to go to lunch without eating but I guess that we can get really dependent on the glucose and if we can't tap into the fat, the body says, FEED ME NOW!

It is good to become a flexi-fuel vehicle and be able to tap into the fat and go for awhile without having to eat. I see people at work who snack all day long and they are heavy. Some of them know what I'm doing but they don't have an interest to try and I don't push them (I have explained some things to some of them).
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    [quote="Wouldn't we have had a different life if they would have taught us this simple thing. I don't believe the health professionals tell us about this now. Too bad!!
    Man, has this thought ever been rattling around in my head!!!
  • Flybeetle
    Yes! People think it's so extreme to fast everyday but don't consider it extreme to be occupied by food and cravings all day long...
  • Flybeetle
    edited January 2017
    Ai Ai Ai, very tough day today. I don't understand why I still have such frequent days where I really struggle to make it through my fast. Could I still not be gay-adapted..?
    I have a little soy milk in my morning coffee (20 calories) could that be the culprit?
    I have to say that what I crave when I'm hungry is not carbs but meat, so isn't that a sign that I'm fat-adapted..?
  • blambo61
    how much protein you getting/
  • Flybeetle
    edited January 2017
    Quite a bit, I thought, especially since I used to eat vegetarian food only, but now it's something I really crave. I've set my goal at 30% protein and probably hit it or just below that most days.
  • 1MADGIRL
    blambo61 wrote: »

I read some posts on the IF forum and I read where new people struggle to do a 16:8 diet! That just seems crazy to me to not to be able to go to lunch without eating but I guess that we can get really dependent on the glucose and if we can't tap into the fat, the body says, FEED ME NOW!

It is good to become a flexi-fuel vehicle and be able to tap into the fat and go for awhile without having to eat. I see people at work who snack all day long and they are heavy. Some of them know what I'm doing but they don't have an interest to try and I don't push them (I have explained some things to some of them).

I know too many people that complain that they're heavy and then they not only can't stop eating but even the choices they pick... pizza and chips. I guess first you have to change mentally to lose weight and be determined to stick to a plan or new lifestyle
  • blambo61

I know too many people that complain that they're heavy and then they not only can't stop eating but even the choices they pick... pizza and chips. I guess first you have to change mentally to lose weight and be determined to stick to a plan or new lifestyle

I find fasting much easier than limiting quantities and food choices. Seems easy in comparison. Not that you can eat unlimited and all garbage while fasting either.
  • 1MADGIRL

I find fasting much easier than limiting quantities and food choices. Seems easy in comparison. Not that you can eat unlimited and all garbage while fasting either.

Same here.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    I agree...much easier!
  • 1MADGIRL
    Hello!
    Just checking in, seeing how you are going. I haven't seen you in a while :(
  • libbyjuly
    libbyjuly Posts: 6 Member
    Yes! People think it's so extreme to fast everyday but don't consider it extreme to be occupied by food and cravings all day long...

This was exactly me when I wasn't intermittent fasting, all I could think of was what was I going to eat next. Now I sit at my desk and work for hours without food crossing my mind. I really think it's the only way for me to eat. I feel energetic too. Love this way of eating and glad it is finally considered "healthy"!

• Flybeetle
    Hello!
    Just checking in, seeing how you are going. I haven't seen you in a while :(
    Thanks so much for checking in, that means a lot! I ended up moving to roughly two meals a day, breaking my fast at 2pm, as I currently hang out with my 3 year old most days, making him food, spending lots of time at home, not being able to be distracted enough to keep to 1 meal a day... when I was at a course studying for a day I never thought about food, but 5 days out of the week I'm home so much, literally counting the hours, preparing snacks and meals constantly for my son, and it was just a massive struggle... so I didn't feel like I could keep posting whilst not following the OMAD protocol. You're an inspiring bunch though, thanks again :)

• blambo61
    kabrigail wrote: »
    I felt the same way. All I could do was think of what I was going to get for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When people talk about how bad it is to eat one meal a day, I say okay, how bad is it to be obese and have high blood pressure and be pre-diabetic?

What an answer! I also tell them that it is much easier than eating a lot of small meals and never eating a decent amount (like a lot of people have stated here). Actually it is much easier for me to not start eating than to eat small and then stop. Once I get the belly going, it wants to be fed.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    That is an awesome answer.
  • 1MADGIRL
    kabrigail wrote: »
    I felt the same way. All I could do was think of what I was going to get for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When people talk about how bad it is to eat one meal a day, I say okay, how bad is it to be obese and have high blood pressure and be pre-diabetic?

What an answer! I also tell them that it is much easier than eating a lot of small meals and never eating a decent amount (like a lot of people have stated here). Actually it is much easier for me to not start eating than to eat small and then stop. Once I get the belly going, it wants to be fed.

I'm exactly the same. Small meals don't satisfy me.