Leg cramps

Options
sbtripp
sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
Does anyone else have problems with legs cramping during the night? When I am awake, they are still sore from the nighttime cramping. Am I missing a key nutrient that I need to add while dieting or is this just coincidence? Thanks everyone; I am becoming very dependent on you long time low carbers.

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You'll see a common theme around which is electrolytes! Get some more sodium, magnesium and potassium in your life and see if that helps. Some drink broth, pickle juice or just salt water. Give those a try and maybe they will help. Of course that's in addition to plenty of water.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm taking NaturaCalm, which is a magnesium supplement, before I go to sleep, and supplement with potassium and salt. I had pretty vicious cramps before, but they're completely gone now.
  • sbtripp
    Options
    Thanks. I suspected magnesium. Going over on the sodium intake most days. Is there a potassium supplement or suggested foods for more potassium without increasing carb intake?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This thread community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10512770/feeling-rough-experienced-lchf#latest is going on with this same subject, as well as the sticky post.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I supplement sodium and magnesium. I'm pretty anti-supplementation but have found both of these necessary for me based on my typical use of salt/sodium in foods. 11 months keto.

Almost daily, I'll drink a cup of boullion or chew on a boullion cube. Read the label for sodium contents. My previous boullion (McCormick) had 1170mg sodium per cube and my current (Tone's) has only 850mg. As a side note, I'll show my attitude and say, no one needs to message me about the other crap in boullion cubes. At this time, I. Don't. Care. OK? :s Read the label,, OP. Common boullion cubes have lots of "stuff" in them besides salt.

My magnesium of choice is 100 mg of Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (nightly) only because it is available at Whole Foods. The only magnesium I have ever been able to find at a "regular" grocery store or drug store is magnesium oxide and even small amounts of magnesium oxide may cause diarrhea in many and/or is not metabolized as well as some other magnesium. Magnesium citrate seems pretty popular in this forum. I have no opinion in magnesium type other than "not magnesium oxide" (which is, by far, the most commonly found in typical retail outlets).

• tammylotz9
    tammylotz9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My cramps are horrible! I take magnesium and drink lots of water... They still are there. But... I have fibromyalgia so I thought maybe that was the deal. With fibro it seems pain moves around. I have been trying to ignore them. When I told my doc about them she just ignored it. I will bring it up at my appointment again. Hard to ignore as bad as they hurt. I just try to walk them out or have the hubby rub them
  • sbtripp
    Options
    tammylotz9, I have fibromyalgia also and yesterday thought perhaps that was the problem, but now I know it is not. I will increase my sodium and have ordered some supplements for magnesium, potassium, calcium and D3 (which my doctor has prescribed). If I can get it all in one tablet maybe I won't mind taking it. I have trigeminal neuralgia also, so just have a lot of pain issues - therefore a lot of meds. I could not walk it out last night, but rather just had to wait for it to subside crying all the while. Definitely hoping for improvement with increase in sodium and these supplements. Hope you can find some improvement also.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I supplement sodium and magnesium. I'm pretty anti-supplementation but have found both of these necessary for me based on my typical use of salt/sodium in foods. 11 months keto.

Almost daily, I'll drink a cup of boullion or chew on a boullion cube. Read the label for sodium contents. My previous boullion (McCormick) had 1170mg sodium per cube and my current (Tone's) has only 850mg. As a side note, I'll show my attitude and say, no one needs to message me about the other crap in boullion cubes. At this time, I. Don't. Care. OK? :s Read the label,, OP. Common boullion cubes have lots of "stuff" in them besides salt.

My magnesium of choice is 100 mg of Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (nightly) only because it is available at Whole Foods. The only magnesium I have ever been able to find at a "regular" grocery store or drug store is magnesium oxide and even small amounts of magnesium oxide may cause diarrhea in many and/or is not metabolized as well as some other magnesium. Magnesium citrate seems pretty popular in this forum. I have no opinion in magnesium type other than "not magnesium oxide" (which is, by far, the most commonly found in typical retail outlets).

I use mag glycinate as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »
    My magnesium of choice is 100 mg of Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (nightly) only because it is available at Whole Foods.

I use mag glycinate as well.

I third that... I tried different brands and types, but for whatever reason, Chelated Glycinate (Doctor's Best brand) and Chelated Citrate (Thorne brand) respond best for my body. I use less than half the mg in the citrate form, but it's more expensive, so I stick with the glycinate.

sbtripp wrote: »
    tammylotz9, I have fibromyalgia also and yesterday thought perhaps that was the problem, but now I know it is not. I will increase my sodium and have ordered some supplements for magnesium, potassium, calcium and D3 (which my doctor has prescribed). If I can get it all in one tablet maybe I won't mind taking it. I have trigeminal neuralgia also, so just have a lot of pain issues - therefore a lot of meds. I could not walk it out last night, but rather just had to wait for it to subside crying all the while. Definitely hoping for improvement with increase in sodium and these supplements. Hope you can find some improvement also.

@sbtripp - I am pretty sure that blend also has K2 in it, if it is the one I am thinking of, but if you EVER use D3, especially with calcium, K2 is essential, crucial, critical to not allow that D3 and Calcium to sit and clutter your arteries. You can get K2 in grassfed meats and dairies, but Life Extension and Jarrow brands both have good formulas. I believe it is the M7 variation of K2 that is most important (Jarrow), but I like the LE's more wide profile (K1, K2 M4, and K2 M7) better personally. I think it is up to 10,000 IU D3 to 100 mcg K2/M7 that is required to process fully.

This is just starting to really resonate with online medical researchers, naturopaths, and functional medicine doctors, so it will take some time before it is more common across the board, but there are a number of articles out there showing the evidence of this link.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use a topical magnesium on crampy muscles - instant relief, usually long-term, but sometimes they come back after a few hours in which case I spray them again.
  • sbtripp
    Options
    You all have been so helpful. I have ordered from Amazon "Lifetime Calcium Magnesium Potassium Vitamin D and Boron" in hopes of helping my leg cramps and whatever I may be lacking in minerals. It advises taking 4/day. Does this sound correct even though my diet is not 2000 calories, which is what they base this on? Rice Powder is an ingredient. Will this mess up the carb count?

Amount Per Serving %DV

Vitamin D 400 IU 100%

Calcium (Calcium Citrate & Calcium Carbonate) 1000 mg 100%

Magnesium( Magnesium Aspartate & Magnesium Oxide) 500mg. 125%

Potassium (Potassium Oxide) 50mg. 125%

Boron 3 mg.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Rice Powder, Magnesium, Stearate and Water.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Looks like it will have some carbs, but nearly all meds do. Keeping your other carbs reasonable should be enough to help. That being said, please make sure you also get some K2. This formula doesn't have it. I think the Jarrow brand (also on amazon) is less costly than the life extension brand. There's not much D3 in this formula, so if you're deficient or borderline, you might want to get a D3/K2 combo... The rest of the mix is good, I think. People don't realize how important Boron is, so I'm happy to see it here.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Next time you order magnesium get one that is glycinate or citrate or carbonate...
    Oxide is mostly useless and aspartate isn't the best choice either. If you've already bought it, go ahead and try it. Just look for another option next time for better absorption.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I use a topical magnesium on crampy muscles - instant relief, usually long-term, but sometimes they come back after a few hours in which case I spray them again.

I keep mag oil handy as well for when there are random days that despite supplementation I still don't get enough and get a stupid cramp. It works very well, and like tcunbeliever said, they rarely come back.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @sbtripp since you indicated you are taking lots of prescribed medications for multiple health conditions do continue to discuss supplements prior to taking them with your medical professional/s who are aware of your medical history and current medication usage. There can definitely be interactons between diet, meds, supplements.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    @sunny_bunny_ how about magnesium sulfate? I'm looking at a BCAA supplement that boasts an electrolyte mix with that form of mag.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @XavierNusum -

https://forum.bulletproof.com/discussion/2078/bulletproof-magnesium-thread

Good explanation of forms.

Excerpt.

Magnesium Sulfate - Honestly only used to stop pre-eclampsia and used in bath salts as epsom salt. Has okay absorptivity but does leave some extra organic sulfur in the body Can be absorbed by the skin. Can help heal muscle sprains better than other forms because of skin permeability. Taken soaking in a bath or before bed.

Might help because of muscle injury recovery... Dunno.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @XavierNusum -

https://forum.bulletproof.com/discussion/2078/bulletproof-magnesium-thread

Good explanation of forms.

Excerpt.

Magnesium Sulfate - Honestly only used to stop pre-eclampsia and used in bath salts as epsom salt. Has okay absorptivity but does leave some extra organic sulfur in the body Can be absorbed by the skin. Can help heal muscle sprains better than other forms because of skin permeability. Taken soaking in a bath or before bed.

Might help because of muscle injury recovery... Dunno.

Awesome @KnitOrMiss Thank you!
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My mom used to get really bad, frequent leg cramps (she wasn't doing Keto though). Someone told her to carry around those little mustard packets that you get from fast food restaurants. So she started eating a packet of mustard immediately when she got a leg cramp from then on & she claims that it actually really helped her get rid of the cramp fast(er). From what I understand, it's the tumeric in the mustard that helps get rid of the cramps.

Personally, I very rarely get leg cramps -so I can't talk from my own experience. But to keep my electrolyte levels up, I try to use Lite Salt often (contains potassium) to season my foods, eat avacados, mushrooms, leafy vegetables, take Epson salt foot soaks about 3 times a week, and I got some Magnesium Threonate coming in the mail right now (was debating between that version & Magnesium Orotate). Also take ACV, which I hear helps with possum retention (haven't researched it extensively yet though -so I can't say for sure how true that is yet).