Can you help me?

Options
aubxspice
aubxspice Posts: 19 Member
I've used a few different calculators to figure out my macros and I don't understand anything! Does anyone mind assisting me (if you could just tell me, that would be great)? I'm 5'9, 294 lbs, I have a sedentary job but I work out 5 days a week at a moderate level between 30 mins up to an hour. I want to start my keto diet within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I like this one.
    http://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

I had to guess on bodyfat %
    And I set it at a 20% calorie deficit
    But I got
    25g max carbs
    153g protein
    104g max fat

I did the numbers based on sedentary without exercise factored in.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    aubxspice wrote: »
    I've used a few different calculators to figure out my macros and I don't understand anything! Does anyone mind assisting me (if you could just tell me, that would be great)? I'm 5'9, 294 lbs, I have a sedentary job but I work out 5 days a week at a moderate level between 30 mins up to an hour. I want to start my keto diet within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance

This isn't a calculator, but I find http://www.dietdoctor.com to be a wealth of information. Lots of Keto recipes, food plans, tips and such.

Happy dieting.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I like this one.
    http://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/

I had to guess on bodyfat %
    And I set it at a 20% calorie deficit
    But I got
    25g max carbs
    153g protein
    104g max fat

I did the numbers based on sedentary without exercise factored in.

This one is the first one I think I have seen that corresponds with my reality. I know about where I have to be to register loss on the scale.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used IIFYM.com - you can tinker with the percentages and deficit and it breaks down the calories clearly.
    I'm 5"11 with a SW of 175lbs, CW of 155lbs and a daily calorie goal of around 1450 (I'm very sedentary). My goals are set at 10% carbs/65% fat/25% protein - I rarely hit those numbers exactly but those somewhere around those percentages seem to work for weight loss for me.
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

RE: ketogains.com calculator
    I've been wanting to redo my macros for a while now (loss slowed over the last month, a lot) and this calculator shows something very interesting. I'm within 15 lbs of my GW and based on 20% deficit, sedentary and it's saying
    8% carbs 25 g
    31% protein 94g
    61% fat 82g
    Don't really mind slightly higher carbs, as that makes sense for the future, but I'm not used to protein being higher than fat. Going to need to go buy more meat - if this is accurate! What do you clever people think? Could really use a second (or third or fourth...) opinion before I make such a radical change.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine for protein to be higher than fat.
    Don't forget that 20% deficit you set is going to come from bodyfat. Those fat grams count too so your fat actually is higher than your protein.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    @suzc11 82g or fat translates in to higher calories (around 738kcal) than the 94g of protein (around 376kcal), so you'll still be getting more fat than protein :smile:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @suzc11 - protein is higher in grams, but not calories. Getting 1.5-2g per kg of ideal body weight (whatever that means) is where Phinney and Volek say you should be. I think they are seen as some of the leading if not THE leading experts on this WOE. So if your ideal weight is between 103 lbs and 137 lbs, then 94 g of protein should be a good number for you to eat to avoid losing lean mass.