Effed up good, apparently

Options
2»

Replies

• CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a certified personal trainer in another life, which is part of the reason why I was so floored about this whole situation. The body can easily make up the energy needed for the brain, it doesn't just have to get it from Carb sources. It's preferred, of course, but not essential. Just like carbs are preferable for sprinting and muscle gains, but not required or essential. Just takes a little longer, that's all.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Regarding your brain needing glucose, that is true, but it is only about 100g a day and your body makes more than that even if you eat no carbs or protein. The amount varies by person, but it is well over the small amount your brain needs. It can even make it from the glycerol in a triglyceride (3 fatty acids attached to a glycerol molecule) so even if your diet was 100% fat, your liver could still produce glucose for your brain.

The picking up of exercise may have played a part if you didn't also up your water and electrolytes a bit.

I've heard it was more like 40-60 for a fat adapted brain and 140 ish for a sugar burner.
    Pretty sure that was from Phinney or Volek.
    Do you know if it's just variance or which is the more accurate?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I read the other day 40. Don't remenber the source.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Regarding your brain needing glucose, that is true, but it is only about 100g a day and your body makes more than that even if you eat no carbs or protein. The amount varies by person, but it is well over the small amount your brain needs. It can even make it from the glycerol in a triglyceride (3 fatty acids attached to a glycerol molecule) so even if your diet was 100% fat, your liver could still produce glucose for your brain.

The picking up of exercise may have played a part if you didn't also up your water and electrolytes a bit.

I've heard it was more like 40-60 for a fat adapted brain and 140 ish for a sugar burner.

Dr Nally on Keto Talk said something like "not much only about 100g"
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Dr Nally on Keto Talk said something like "not much only about 100g"

I like Doc Nally and all but I've also heard him to refer to T2D that becomes insulin dependent "turning into T1D" and on a recent talk he literally stated that if you overeat fat calories they are simply excreted in some way so it's impossible to overeat fat. Implying that you can't possibly gain weight because of overeating fat.
    Now, I can't say the fat thing isn't a fact, though it just doesn't sound right to me but I can say that no matter what happens in T2D, even if the pancreas completely stops 100% insulin production, it never suddenly turns into an autoimmune disease.
    I remember when I heard him say that I actually backed it up to listen again and thought surely he will correct that statement but I actually think he even said it again.
    So, if I hear info from another trustworthy source I tend to believe them over him.
    I developed a little bias in that way. Though I do still think he is very good and enjoy the podcast.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My mother is a celiac, and she has many other symptoms in addition to the GI symptoms. She has had absorption issues. Her b12 got so low it caused neuropathy and heart flutters. She has had skin issues, neuropathy, thinning hair, GI issues, and migraines. It could be some of the cause. Do you take any medications? Some meds can cause electrolyte imbalances too. Just something to look over.