ALCOHOL?

Options
Hello,

Not sure if there is already a thread.. but for my fellow not that heavy girls, do you drink alcohol?

I like my wine, but am also aiming to lost about 5 kgs.

TIA

Replies

• ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I try to limit it to just a few drinks (1-2, 3 if I'm feeling froggy) on the weekend. I'm a wine drinker as well. I think white wine is actually less in calories but red wine has more health benefits? Last summer I drank frequently and it definitely showed when it came to my weight. I think I gained ~5-10 pounds. Not just from drinking, but crappy eating too.
  • Blacksheep_Girl
    Blacksheep_Girl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I drink alcohol it inexplicably makes me hungry for battered cod, fried rice and curry sauce, which unfortunately is extremely easy to get in Liverpool at virtually any time of the night!
  • natashab0629
    natashab0629 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, guilty pleasure. I use to drink every other day usually wine. I've cut to maybe a drink or 2 on the weekend. Just think red wine has health benefits. I figure I'd rather stress drink than stress eat, lol
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Nope, no alcohol here, it's proven to cause cancer so I have scratched it off my list along with cigarettes!
  • MIRunnerMom
    MIRunnerMom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love it, but I have come to terms with the fact that it's probably contributing to my poochy belly, so I have been trying to cut back a little.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wine girl here. Trying to cut WAY back as it sure makes me put on weight. Some people snack. Not me but I substitute those calories with wine.
  • Bhanbury
    Bhanbury Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    usually will only have a glass if we go out to dinner (once or twice a month) or if I had a really bad or successful week ill have a glass on the weekend. I literally have the worst tolerance for alcohol so I limit myself to one drink. (one drink or one glass) or else im hung the f*** over the next day. Liquor is nausea wine is a beating headache haha. I cook with wine a lot so its always on hand but its not always in a glass. sometimes just one or two sips will curb the craving and ill just make a sauce with the rest of the glass haha
  • mvmazz
    mvmazz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I loooooove wine. When I'm cutting weight I avoid it like the plague and try to avoid alcohol at all. When i'm maintaining, I will indulge when I am not training the next morning.
  • barbarafallsopp
    barbarafallsopp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have cut back and now will have one or two on one weekend evening per week. It had definitely helped, not only because of the calories I am saving from the alcohol but also because I tend to eat A LOT more when I am drinking.
  • sheilajean58
    sheilajean58 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The Calories in Wine vary with the % alcohol content and the sugar. A Dry wine (minimal sugar) with 12% alcohol is only ~ 20 kcals per ounce, while a dry wine with 15% alcohol is ~ 35k cals/ounce (i.e. Butter Chardonnay). There are plenty of wines right in the middle at 13.5% alcohol - 27 kcals/ounce.

Yes, I drink wine:) And yes, have to cut back!

FYI - according to years of peer review published studies . . . the "added" health benefits of red wine have only been shown in the "test tube". In humans alcohol in general is beneficial if taken in moderation.
  • ANSL_Mom
    ANSL_Mom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't usually drink much, maybe 1-2/month. However events tend to pile up sometimes, so my rule is to enjoy one drink per week.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If I'm serious about weight loss I eliminate or cut down on the alcohol, although I really enjoy drinking.
    • As a small woman, alcohol has a lot of empty calories for me, even if I drink a light beer. (I drink wine, but it has more calories than a light beer.)
    • Alcohol lowers my inhibitions (this is a common effect). I end up eating high-calorie, high-fat, high-carb food that's not part of my eating plan.
    • There's a theory that alcohol affects the way the body processes fat, causing it to store fat more easily. I once followed a high-protein in which the instructions were to calculate 10% more calories for any alcohol drink because of this phenomenon.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    If I'm serious about weight loss I eliminate or cut down on the alcohol, although I really enjoy drinking.
    • As a small woman, alcohol has a lot of empty calories for me, even if I drink a light beer. (I drink wine, but it has more calories than a light beer.)
    • Alcohol lowers my inhibitions (this is a common effect). I end up eating high-calorie, high-fat, high-carb food that's not part of my eating plan.
    • There's a theory that alcohol affects the way the body processes fat, causing it to store fat more easily. I once followed a high-protein in which the instructions were to calculate 10% more calories for any alcohol drink because of this phenomenon.

All of this. Plus, I don't really like being tipsy. It's not "me." I will have a glass of wine 1-2 times a month and I try to really savor it.
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love wine. Normal for me is (was) 3-4 glasses of wine a night! However I have cut way back. I no longer drink during the week unless it's a special occasion (not too many of those) and now only drink on Saturdays....2 glasses max. So down to two glasses of wine a week. I feel so much better. My body can't handle alcohol like it used too. I sleep so much better and I don't feel sluggish and hungover the next day. I have two small children so I need to be at my best for them. As far as weight I haven't noticed any difference. But I feel better...that's most important.
  • rambabean
    rambabean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Did (most of) dry January which helped kicked my beer in the evening habit, and now trying to only drink weekends.

Now a big fan of vodka + diet coke (50cals per 25ml) and very occasional glass of wine. But I'm a major lightweight so only ever have a few drinks as otherwise I'll be sick!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Cut back (especially when I was really losing), now I'm maintenance/couple of Christmas lbs I make sure it fits within my calorie allowance. Just got new wine glasses which are difficult to judge so I weigh them ;-). Really cut back on beer as it is too high (had a naughty month while Leffe was on special!) and have a gin and diet tonic (tiny can) instead, which coincidentally is exactly the same calories as my walk home from work! Gives me the impetus to refuse lift and make sure I walk.
    If I am getting really low on calories for the day I up my evening exercise. :)
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did most of January dry too! Used to have 2 vodkas/ night but have cut down to almost nothing. Shame, as I love my vodka tonics. Since I just started this process, I find I am actually a little tentative to drink as I am so afraid of a backwards slide into ALL my unhealthy habits. Trying (as always) to find a balance as there is no way that I will maintain a life without that bubbly, tart relish cocktail.
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    *delish-not relish...spellcheck suks.