not losing

Options
I have been low carb for over 40 days now I have not lost anything I have over 100 lbs to lose very frustrated to say the least I know weight loss is not linear but I would think by now I would of lost something ... I weigh all my food on a scale....my only exercise is walking a lot at work ( I work in a retirement home ) What gives ?

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Without more info, I would guess you're eating too much, despite the fact that you're doing everything you can to track your food consumption - calorie intake and output are both tough to estimate accurately. (The former isn't helped by erroneous reported nutritional info in the USDA database.)

Have you looked through the LCD Launch Pad sticky thread and read basic info about ketogenic/LC diets?
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add something. Have you heard of a term called "Passive resting calorie burning rate"? If not, I would like to share. I thought it may help.
    We, as a living organism, burn calories at all times; while sleeping, sitting, walking, watching tv,.. or driving. Weight lifting doesn't burn as much calories as cardio does but it increases your passive resting calorie burning rate which means your body burns more calories while , for example, driving than someone who doesn't work out at all.
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I do my best to make sure any advice I follow is based in science and not opinion. Those same people saying everyone should keep sodium levels low are the ones saying eating fat will kill you and you should be eating 11-15 servings of starches a day. Again, there is NO scientific study that supports those suggestions either.
    And I do my best to follow my primary physician and cardiologist advice. If you're a doctor, that's cool, but you haven't looked at my medical records, nor am I under your care. If both doctors tell me to cut out the salt, then I'm not going to add any extra salt beyond what I'm eating in my food. If 2000mg is low by your opinion or the NEJM advice, I'm still not going to add any extra salty food, or salt to my diet. I've been doing just fine without it, and I don't retain water.

• BishopLord
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have been low carb for over 40 days now I have not lost anything I have over 100 lbs to lose very frustrated to say the least I know weight loss is not linear but I would think by now I would of lost something ... I weigh all my food on a scale....my only exercise is walking a lot at work ( I work in a retirement home ) What gives ?

Listen to these podcasts:

http://primalpotential.com/245-successful-people-think/

http://primalpotential.com/243-metabolism-101-why-you-arent-losing-weight/

http://primalpotential.com/240-why-we-get-fat/

http://primalpotential.com/162-does-coffee-make-you-gain-weight/

Primal Potential podcast has a wealth of info regarding dieting and life.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Judging by your diary I would strongly suggest searching all posts by @sunny_bunny_
    Your carb intake is great, but I would think you should shift a bit of fat preference to protein. It will reduce calories some. Without your stats it's impossible to gauge your intake to your estimated needs. But 3 things to conisder.

1. If your body is already High Fat, you just have to have Low carb!
    The absolute best advice I've gleaned from these groups, hands down.
    2. Resistance training WILL increase lean muscle which WILL increase calories burned throughout the day.
    3. Get some sort of estimated TDEE (total daily calorie expenditure) and base a reasonable deficit (10-15%) from there and see how you feel and if anything starts to change.

Granted you gave little information so if this is all redundant, I apologize.
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your replies ....my stats are 46 years old ....5'6 235 lbs.....It was recommended by my dr. to try the keto diet...I am pre diabetic....I do not have HBP....MFP gave me 1910 calories ....I changed my calories and macros due to what ruled.me.com gave me. My sodium is the way it is from what I have read in this group...If there is anything else I am missing ..Please let me know....my best friend Ms_smartypants has done awesome with the keto diet and she has given me advice but it doesn't seem to work for me ...I would appreciate anyone's help....Thanks

break over back to work for me ...Thanks again
  • BishopLord
    Options
    BishopLord wrote: »
    Cut out the processed foods, especially this: Tillamook Country Smoker - Beef Stick 28 g, 84 g

Are you on blood pressure medicine? If yes, IMHO, cut back on the sodium. Others may disagree, but I'm on BP meds, and keep my sodium under 2000mg. Yeah, I'm a bit tired, but I get great sleep at night. And when I wake up and see another 2lbs gone from the day before, it really makes my day. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep. Just start going to bed an hour earlier.

You really are going to have to want this more than anything else. Quit thinking in terms of "losing" weight and getting rid of excess fat, too. Once you change your mindset, your body will follow, trust me.

306021.png

Unless you have sodium sensitive HBP, which you may have, it is dangerous to have sodium levels that low. Please see this study in the New England Journal of Medicine that had nearly 102,000 participants.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1311889

The recommendation for staying under 2300 was based on the fact the there is no way to know who is going to have an adverse reaction to sodium, so better safe than sorry. However, it turns out, that low sodium for the 90+% of the population that does not have sodium sensitive HBP is more dangerous than having more than 8000mg per day.

For the vast majority of people, the optimal levels are between 4000 and 6000 mg per day. If you are going low carb, the adverse reactions below this level are much more obvious (keto flu).

If you have HBP, it does not necessarily mean it is sodium sensitive. In fact, there are other studies showing for some with HBP, raising sodium actually helps.

There is NO study out there that I have been able to find that shows that someone in the 90+% of the population who is does not have sodium sensitive HBP has any benefit by keeping sodium levels down below the 2300 mg guideline.

I do my best to make sure any advice I follow is based in science and not opinion. Those same people saying everyone should keep sodium levels low are the ones saying eating fat will kill you and you should be eating 11-15 servings of starches a day. Again, there is NO scientific study that supports those suggestions either.

Just got a response from my cardiologist:
    To:

Richard A Brown

STEPHEN J MORRISSY MD
    Received:

2/10/2017 9:57 AM PST

Hi Richard,
    That is a great question!
    2000mg sounds like a lot but it is actually quite restrictive. If you are able to stay around 2000mg a day that should be fine.
    The average sodium intake in this country is about 6000-7000mg a day. This is waaaaay too much (really for anyone).
    Keep an eye on your breathing and legs. If you are short of breath or notice leg swelling you may be getting too much salt still.

Thanks for the question,

Dr. S. J. Morrissy MD PhD FACC

Sent: 2/10/2017 9:08 AM PST
    To: STEPHEN J MORRISSY MD
    Subject: Daily sodium intake - how much is too much?

Good morning Dr. Morrissy,

Can you please tell me how much sodium I should be consuming daily? I'm using the myfitnesspal.com meal planner and keep my sodium level under 2000mg a day. Is this too low?

I'm receiving pressure from other members in the forum section saying it's too low and optimum levels are between 4000mg and 6000mg. I'm getting 2000mg or less from the food I'm eating, without adding extra salt. Am I wrong here?

Thank you

Richard
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Cut out the processed foods, especially this: Tillamook Country Smoker - Beef Stick 28 g, 84 g

Are you on blood pressure medicine? If yes, IMHO, cut back on the sodium. Others may disagree, but I'm on BP meds, and keep my sodium under 2000mg. Yeah, I'm a bit tired, but I get great sleep at night. And when I wake up and see another 2lbs gone from the day before, it really makes my day. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep. Just start going to bed an hour earlier.

You really are going to have to want this more than anything else. Quit thinking in terms of "losing" weight and getting rid of excess fat, too. Once you change your mindset, your body will follow, trust me.

306021.png

Unless you have sodium sensitive HBP, which you may have, it is dangerous to have sodium levels that low. Please see this study in the New England Journal of Medicine that had nearly 102,000 participants.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1311889

The recommendation for staying under 2300 was based on the fact the there is no way to know who is going to have an adverse reaction to sodium, so better safe than sorry. However, it turns out, that low sodium for the 90+% of the population that does not have sodium sensitive HBP is more dangerous than having more than 8000mg per day.

For the vast majority of people, the optimal levels are between 4000 and 6000 mg per day. If you are going low carb, the adverse reactions below this level are much more obvious (keto flu).

If you have HBP, it does not necessarily mean it is sodium sensitive. In fact, there are other studies showing for some with HBP, raising sodium actually helps.

There is NO study out there that I have been able to find that shows that someone in the 90+% of the population who is does not have sodium sensitive HBP has any benefit by keeping sodium levels down below the 2300 mg guideline.

Just got a response from my cardiologist:
    To:

Richard A Brown

STEPHEN J MORRISSY MD
    Received:

2/10/2017 9:57 AM PST

Hi Richard,
    That is a great question!
    2000mg sounds like a lot but it is actually quite restrictive. If you are able to stay around 2000mg a day that should be fine.
    The average sodium intake in this country is about 6000-7000mg a day. This is waaaaay too much (really for anyone).
    Keep an eye on your breathing and legs. If you are short of breath or notice leg swelling you may be getting too much salt still.

Thanks for the question,

Dr. S. J. Morrissy MD PhD FACC

Sent: 2/10/2017 9:08 AM PST
    To: STEPHEN J MORRISSY MD
    Subject: Daily sodium intake - how much is too much?

Good morning Dr. Morrissy,

Can you please tell me how much sodium I should be consuming daily? I'm using the myfitnesspal.com meal planner and keep my sodium level under 2000mg a day. Is this too low?

I'm receiving pressure from other members in the forum section saying it's too low and optimum levels are between 4000mg and 6000mg. I'm getting 2000mg or less from the food I'm eating, without adding extra salt. Am I wrong here?

Thank you

Richard

Also. Does your doctor know you're eating a keto diet? The RDA for sodium is for sugar burners. Things are different on keto.
    Ask the doctor about sodium needs taking into account the nateuresis of ketosis so he understands (hopefully) how much sodium you are LOSING on a daily basis.

Also, I didn't think @cstehansen was suggesting that YOU need more sodium but nearly everyone else, with rare exception, on keto does need 4000mg or more every single day.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your replies ....my stats are 46 years old ....5'6 235 lbs.....It was recommended by my dr. to try the keto diet...I am pre diabetic....I do not have HBP....MFP gave me 1910 calories ....I changed my calories and macros due to what ruled.me.com gave me. My sodium is the way it is from what I have read in this group...If there is anything else I am missing ..Please let me know....my best friend Ms_smartypants has done awesome with the keto diet and she has given me advice but it doesn't seem to work for me ...I would appreciate anyone's help....Thanks

If following keto, try and cut back more on the carbs. I see you had a large artichoke which is 43 carbs, although a lot is fibre, I find that I need to keep my TOTAL CARBS under 20, not net carbs. I limit my veggies because of the carbs, you may want to try that. I keep my total carbs less than 15.
    Some people are able to get away with net carbs, some of us need to focus on total carbs.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I see MFP gave you 1910 and you changed to 2059 per calculations from ruled. Close enough. What did you enter as your activity level and amount of pounds per week to lose?

You'll rarely hear me say this but I'm kinda thinking you might be eating too much. The back story to that is when someone asks for help my usual comment is "Girl, you need to eat more".

I ran your numbers on several TDEE calculators and "sedentary" gives about 2100 calories at your weight for maintenance so you probably used something greater than sedentary which is understandable if you are on your feet and running around during a 12 hour shift at the retirement home. Whatever number you used for loss per week must be low (1/2 pound) and/or whatever activity level you used for your daily routine of walking a lot at work must be high. Or a combo of both... that doesn't seem to be working for weight loss. So again, how much are you "set" to lose per week and where did you set your activity level

"Numbers" aren't the entire pic. I know that but it is a starting point. I'm just feeling your frustration and trying to help. Fortunately "numbers" worked for me for weight loss and that might be true for you also, just not as they're currently set.

Awesome advice! I agree.
  • msfutureskinnyminnie
    Options

I see MFP gave you 1910 and you changed to 2059 per calculations from ruled. Close enough. What did you enter as your activity level and amount of pounds per week to lose?

You'll rarely hear me say this but I'm kinda thinking you might be eating too much. The back story to that is when someone asks for help my usual comment is "Girl, you need to eat more".

I ran your numbers on several TDEE calculators and "sedentary" gives about 2100 calories at your weight for maintenance so you probably used something greater than sedentary which is understandable if you are on your feet and running around during a 12 hour shift at the retirement home. Whatever number you used for loss per week must be low (1/2 pound) and/or whatever activity level you used for your daily routine of walking a lot at work must be high. Or a combo of both... that doesn't seem to be working for weight loss. So again, how much are you "set" to lose per week and where did you set your activity level

"Numbers" aren't the entire pic. I know that but it is a starting point. I'm just feeling your frustration and trying to help. Fortunately "numbers" worked for me for weight loss and that might be true for you also, just not as they're currently set.

Thanks for your help ....My activity level is lightly active and I have it set to lose 1 pound...I didn't think I should set it to active because there are times that I am not walking as much
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

It was day 46 before I lost my first pound eating LCHF but I do not weight food or count calories as a general rule. I make sure I walk a 1/4 of a mile every day.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Thanks for your help ....My activity level is lightly active and I have it set to lose 1 pound...I didn't think I should set it to active because there are times that I am not walking as much

It really appears as though you have found your maintenace calories for yourself. 40 average days at ~2000 calories=maintain your current weight.

I'm not going to suggest how many calories you eat. You can determine that. Use some on-line TDEE calculators. FitnessFrog is a good/simple one that is in-line with the average in its calculations. I've played around with all of them hoping fitnessfrog was wrong about MY calories. LOL. It's basic and doesn't require that piece of information most of us would have to guess, lean body mass. Enter your GOAL weight with the other stats and see how many (few) calories you would need/want (maybe have) to eat to maintain at your goal (when you get there).

I also suggest using the sedentary setting versus lightly active. Doing so removes the activity variable. Who knows how active one really is on any given day at any given job. You've said yourself that some days at work you walk more than others. You don't have to use (in MFP) the low calorie number that "sedentary at goal weight" will give you. That might be too severe of a cut. Pick a reasonable number somewhere between "sedentary at goal" and 2060 calories (your current). If whatever you choose turns out too low and you're always hungry or feel lethargic, up it a little. Your sedentary calories @ 140 pounds are going to be around 1600. I've run the numbers on several TDEE calculators (cuz I like to do that) but you need to play around with several yourself. You'll see a couple are high and a couple are low. Most hit right in the middle without much difference. And don't use only keto calculators. Use standard TDEE calculators that are designed to compute calories only. Play around entering different body weights and see how the numbers change.

Any/all of these calculators are "broad strokes" and are not exact or perfect. You have to experiment with the numbers to find your "sweet spot" that will allow you to get your needed nourishment, , not be hungry and still lose weight. Hope it works for you and you begin to see/feel the weight loss. I commend you on your 40 days of patience. Be as accurate on your diary entries as possible without driving yourself crazy.