Ketogenic experiment

Options
Right now, there is a professional bodybuilder named Jason Wittrock that is currently in day 4 out of 21 doing a 4,000 calorie per day ketogenic diet experiment. He has been doing a standard ketogenic diet, mixed in with his own Keto Cycle ketogenic diet program for about a year now. He is doing this as part of an overfeeding experiment -to see what it does to his body. He is still keeping the same 75-20-5 ratios of the standard ketogenic diet. He is tracking everything from blood ketone levels, blood lipid panel profiles, body composition, and tracking everything with MFP. He is doing daily updates on YouTube showing everything that he is eating & it's really very interesting. I especially appreciate seeing all the meals & snacks that he is consuming, along with all the macros.

Anyways..... this is definitely NOT recommended to eat this many calories, but I think that it might be beneficial for some to just view & get ideas of what to eat, and see how all this affects his numbers. I find it interesting.

Here is the link to his playlist, if anyone wants to check out his daily progress videos during this ketogenic experiment:
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=R4hQS_v3Uvk&u=/playlist%3Flist%3DPLfR-8rhslnU9rTQhdJITphrswXFkOJWg8%26feature%3Dem-share_playlist_user

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Bookmarked to have the link. 3 days up already. Watched the intro.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What I like about this guy is he is most likely not "enhanced"...5'7'' only 148.2 lbs, BMI only about 23 kg/m^2. I'm kind of surprised he keeps his protein reasonable for someone who is a bodybuilder/model. Refreshing to see the contrast from juiced/GH/Insulin-ed up "professional" bodybuilders who are more reminiscent of livestock.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love Jason wittrock!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Going through the playlist right now and subscribing. I think I am in love!
  • kpk54
    Options
    I love the part in day 5 (starting at about 4 minutes) where he talks about getting caught up in minute details to the point that one doesn't take any action, never starts.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Felton (sp?) of Smash the Fat did something like that a few years ago. He did a 5000kcal/day challenge that was LCHF and another that was higher carb. I think he did vegan too... Anways, he'san endurance athlete who only put on a couple of pounds doing 50000kcal of LCHF for 21 days but added something like 9 lbs with the higher carb diet.
    http://live.smashthefat.com/5000-calorie-carb-challenge-day-21/

Its great seeing other people doing self experiments like this. Not endurance athletes either.

I might share this on the debate forum for fun. ;)
  • kpk54
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Depending on which experiment you are wanting to debate elsewhere or the position you are going to take, I'd be inclined to wait until Wittrock completes his 21 days. He's already gained a couple of pounds through 4 days and his 5th day (today) is a non-workout day. It will be interesting to see what his gain is tomorrow. May be 0 or may be more than usual.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Those parmesan cheese crisps that he ate towards the end of day 1 are freaking AWESOME!! I never knew about those before. I picked up that Cello Whisps brand at WinCo (I looked in Costco, but couldn't find it). Also found a ParmCrisps brand from Sam's Club that is very similar. Both taste fantastic. It's going to be my new #1 go-to snack for sure.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Those parmesan cheese crisps that he ate towards the end of day 1 are freaking AWESOME!! I never knew about those before. I picked up that Cello Whisps brand at WinCo (I looked in Costco, but couldn't find it). Also found a ParmCrisps brand from Sam's Club that is very similar. Both taste fantastic. It's going to be my new #1 go-to snack for sure.

I have some of these in the cupboard and keep forgetting about them. They are a great replacement for a crouton in salad when you're craving that crunch.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »

I have some of these in the cupboard and keep forgetting about them. They are a great replacement for a crouton in salad when you're craving that crunch.

I've wanted to try those but boy, do they cost! Maybe as an Easter treat...
  • bowlerae
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Depending on which experiment you are wanting to debate elsewhere or the position you are going to take, I'd be inclined to wait until Wittrock completes his 21 days. He's already gained a couple of pounds through 4 days and his 5th day (today) is a non-workout day. It will be interesting to see what his gain is tomorrow. May be 0 or may be more than usual.

I shared it in the debate section. Seems fair to share it now. If he gains close to12 pounds then a calorie is just a calorie. If he gains less, then there is something to the ketogenic diet... and I can take a few "I told you so's". LOL ;)

Even among low carbers it is not accepted that LCHF causes easier weight loss. I am one of the few who experienced faster than expected losses. It could be due to the diet or just because it works with my IR, or maybe all of my stars aligned and I happened to be losing while my autoimmune issues were quiet, it complimented my IR, and I am approaching menopause (a time when LCHF often agrees with people).... None of that will affect Wittrock. LOL

I'm excited to see how it plays out for him. The only way the keto diet will lose is if he gains more than 12 lbs. He thinks he is eating about 2000 kcal more than normal so he should gain 4 lbs per week for a total of 12 lbs. If he severely underestimated his usual caloric intake and is only eating 1000kcal extra, he should gain 2 lbs per week or 6 lbs total.

If he gains more than 12 lbs I'll have a WTF moment. I'd be shocked.

If he gains less than 6 lbs then I can smile smugly.

If he gains between 6 and 12 lbs, then the argument will continue because people will say he underestimated his usual caloric intake... My guess is that this will be the result.

Yea I thought with his amount of BF that 2,000 baseline intake seemed really low. Whenever I plug his numbers into a calculator it says his TDEE is around 3,000.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This guy started Day 1 with 5% body fat?!?! I thought being that lean wasn't sustainable? Does anyone know if he achieved his body composition through keto only or did he go through phases of carb loading?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    This guy started Day 1 with 5% body fat?!?! I thought being that lean wasn't sustainable? Does anyone know if he achieved his body composition through keto only or did he go through phases of carb loading?

I think he did it pre-keto mainly. I think he's been keto about a year but I think he might use TKD or CKD... I don't follow him regularly.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

I shared it in the debate section. Seems fair to share it now. If he gains close to12 pounds then a calorie is just a calorie. If he gains less, then there is something to the ketogenic diet... and I can take a few "I told you so's". LOL ;)

Even among low carbers it is not accepted that LCHF causes easier weight loss. I am one of the few who experienced faster than expected losses. It could be due to the diet or just because it works with my IR, or maybe all of my stars aligned and I happened to be losing while my autoimmune issues were quiet, it complimented my IR, and I am approaching menopause (a time when LCHF often agrees with people).... None of that will affect Wittrock. LOL

I'm excited to see how it plays out for him. The only way the keto diet will lose is if he gains more than 12 lbs. He thinks he is eating about 2000 kcal more than normal so he should gain 4 lbs per week for a total of 12 lbs. If he severely underestimated his usual caloric intake and is only eating 1000kcal extra, he should gain 2 lbs per week or 6 lbs total.

If he gains more than 12 lbs I'll have a WTF moment. I'd be shocked.

If he gains less than 6 lbs then I can smile smugly.

If he gains between 6 and 12 lbs, then the argument will continue because people will say he underestimated his usual caloric intake... My guess is that this will be the result.

Yea I thought with his amount of BF that 2,000 baseline intake seemed really low. Whenever I plug his numbers into a calculator it says his TDEE is around 3,000.

I know! I looked into it too and got about 2700 kcal for a 148 lb, 5'7", 35 year old moderately active (exercise ~5 days per week) male.

It's a shame he didn't log his foods more carefully before starting in order to be more sure of his numbers.
  • bowlerae
    Options

He does carb cycling. I don't know if TKD or CKD. I think the latter. He is the found of Keto Cycle that is based on 1-3 weeks of keto eating with cycling in 1 carb refeed day. He has been eating keto for at least 1.5 years I think. I think maybe longer because I remember him mentioned he has researched it for the last 5 years.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    It would also be much more beneficial for someone to do this experiment that is closer to 15-20% BF.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nice mini-lecture on MCTs in Day 7.
    And did you see all dem avocados! Jealousing. Hard.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Nice mini-lecture on MCTs in Day 7.
    And did you see all dem avocados! Jealousing. Hard.

LOL

I've actually bee surprised at how boring and... yucky he is keeping his food. Shooters of olive oil? Blech. He might benefit from figuring out how to incorporate those fats into food better, and not just in a keto shake.

I mean, he's one week in and hasn't even had real bacon yet! Or a beef patty with cheese and mayo on it, with some extra bacon grease mixed in for good measure. I don't think he's even sat down with some cheese slices yet...
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    He did have bacon and sausage when he ate at Bob Evans but that's the only time! He should be adding bacon to all his food!