So which sweetener?

Options
kaye300
kaye300 Posts: 29 Member
So with the below post....what can we use for a sweetener???
Or maybe lesser of two evils?

Thanks!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I personally like the liquid stevia
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I like Stevia. Dry or liquid. I was thinking earlier the only kind I've tried is Trader Joe's ( which I like) but remembered a bottle of liquid Stevia from Whole Foods. I don't care for it. It has glycerin in it. I have nothing against glycerin except it's thick and oily so drips off the sides of the dropper and makes it easy to get too much.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of stevia. I wish I liked it.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    For coffee and decaf I add dark chocolate liquid Stevia, it's very good.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

If you can taste stevia at all, you're probably dumping in at least 5x more than you need.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

If you can taste stevia at all, you're probably dumping in at least 5x more than you need.

I hate Stevia too. No matter how little I use.
    :s
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options

Seriously, get pure stuff and use it by the nanopixel.

(Bet you haven't gone that little.)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

Seriously, get pure stuff and use it by the nanopixel.

(Bet you haven't gone that little.)

OK, fair enough. ;)
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes super bitter to me. I like pure sucralose, very sparingly, maybe a drop or two in my tea.
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Stevia tastes super bitter to me. I like pure sucralose, very sparingly, maybe a drop or two in my tea.

Hmm. I'm getting seriously outnumbered here.. :o ..

Maybe I've got mutant taste genes. Bacon doesn't send me into ketogasms, either.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    [quote)]

Maybe I've got mutant taste genes. Bacon doesn't send me into ketogasms, either.

I'm with ya on the stevia. Gotta buy one that's pure or one that's mixed with erythritol.
    Ones mixed with erythritol can be used a little heavier if you want something sweeter.
    Pure stevia gives you a touch of sweet with 1 drop but not so much that you can taste any bitterness. You also don't get a whole lot of sweet. But I had a goal once of reducing my sweeteners to using the absolute least possible. Sweetening to tolerance, not taste preference.
    And stevia works great for that for me.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    [quote)]

I'm with ya on the stevia. Gotta buy one that's pure or one that's mixed with erythritol.
    Ones mixed with erythritol can be used a little heavier if you want something sweeter.
    Pure stevia gives you a touch of sweet with 1 drop but not so much that you can taste any bitterness. You also don't get a whole lot of sweet. But I had a goal once of reducing my sweeteners to using the absolute least possible. Sweetening to tolerance, not taste preference.
    And stevia works great for that for me.

I have the sweetleaf organic pure powder. I am giving it another go per bunny's perlmutter thread. I'll give it a good healthy try....again....
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    A tip - you can crash through the Amazon product reviews and get a lot of good tips.

@Sunny_Bunny_ 's concept of using sweeteners to make food palatable rather than sweet is a helpful orientation.

(For T2Ds, the mere stimulation of sweetness taste receptors can wake up the blood glucose machinery in your pancreas, which raises your BG through the release of glucagon)

I've also read that the sweet taste can trigger an insulin reaction...
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure, but I don't believe the taste alone directly triggers an insulin release, meaning that the insulin reaction - a delayed one in many T2Ds - would be provoked by the earlier glucagon release. (Memory very hazy, but I think I picked this up from an YT lecture by a Cleveland Clinic endocrinologist....)
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Liquid Stevia for me especially for sweetening coffee, plain Greek yogurt, melted dark chocolate when making desserts/fat bombs, etc. Hazelnut flavor in my coffee, vanilla in my yogurt, clear/chocolate/or vanilla in my desserts. I even used peppermint one time in some mint ice cream but those didn't turn out well because the recipe also called for mint extract so it was too much mint.

For baking or for some other fat bomb recipes I use Erythitol and Swerve.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm in the no sweetener camp, as a diabetic I'm just better off learning to live without any extra sweetness in my life. But I did want to share that (a) it's surprising how much your tastes change when you cut sugar out, things you wouldn't have thought of as sweet suddenly taste very sweet (carrots for example) and (b) there are lots of non-fake-sugar things you can add to tea, coffee and water to add flavour - cinnamon sticks, mint leaves, lemon, cucumber, berries, coconut, star anise, ginger, lemongrass (take a mallet and smash it first).

I never ever ever thought I could live without any type of sweetener in my tea and coffee, I had a tablespoon of sugar in every cup for years and years. But now it literally tastes gross to me with sugar.

But I get that it's a hard step to make. If you have to add something, go the liquid extract route first, there's less added crap in it, the powder stuff and tablets are full of questionable fillers.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I never ever ever thought I could live without any type of sweetener in my tea and coffee, I had a tablespoon of sugar in every cup for years and years. But now it literally tastes gross to me with sugar.

But I get that it's a hard step to make. If you have to add something, go the liquid extract route first, there's less added crap in it, the powder stuff and tablets are full of questionable fillers.

I've been trying to do completely no sugar in my coffee or tea this week, since I found out I can't hack the stevia....but I just don't think I'm there yet.....

I'm not enjoying either without some sort of sweetness to it.....I don't need it to be super sugary, but :(

Edited to say: I haven't used any sugar since starting keto....just stevia, and was thinking about cutting out all sweeteners of any kind, but now I just don't know if I will be able to or not....LOL
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes odd to me. I use sucrolose sweetners. I know there are issues but my weight outweighs them.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    About those funny Stevia tastes...

From a pure stevia extract product insert:
    Tip - This stevia powder is very potent and very sweet. If you find yourself experiencing a bitter after-taste, this is a good indicator that too much stevia is being used at one time.Remember, just one tablespoon of our stevia powder is equivalent to a full cup of real sugar!