Surgery prep question Help!

Options
pneschich
pneschich Posts: 325 Member
Surgery on Monday prep question. I'm supposed to drink 10 oz of magnesium citrate tomorrow and take 4 stool softener pills my instructions seen to say all at once at 8 am. Is that right? I read it Thursday after my pre op with the doctor and was nonplussed but now, with 10 oz of delicious cherry flavored magnesium citrate in hand and the instructions on the bottle I'm a bit concerned that if I chug it down I'm going to be worse than miserable. By noon.
Anyone?

Replies

• jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I wasn't required to do that so I am no help.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Same here - I also didn't have to do that - sorry! Good luck on Monday - it will be the best thing you ever did for yourself! :)
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I survive today! Not having fun!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Everyone's doctors are a little different, generally I'd say do what they re on end as that's what's worked for them and what they're expecting when you show up. In my experience, the hard part was getting to the surgery - afterwards I wasn't hungry and felt prepared for everything I experienced. Over two years post op, it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Congratulations and good luck!
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I didn't have to drink any magnesium citrate, so I am afraid I cannot be of help here. But I did have a question about protein shake consumption pre-op and called my surgeon's office to confirm the directions. I would recommend that.

You are going to do just fine by the way! Like @cabennett99 said, post-op you aren't going to be hungry. Every day after surgery is going to get better & better, bit by bit. Every day, you will weigh less and gain more strength and energy. You will feel invigorated like you haven't in years! The hardest adjustment for me (and I suspect many others) is coming to grips with the old adage "your eyes are bigger than your stomach." Down the road you will be able to eat most of the same foods you did in the past. You will just eat a whole lot less and enjoy what you do eat that much more. You will also realize that you aren't a slave to the food any longer and see it for what it is: Fuel for your body's engine.

Best of luck my friend and look forward to hearing back from you post-op!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Good luck today!
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sending good vibes today. Good luck!