Net Carbs

Options
Bayluvr
Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
I follow the keto woe and count net carbs. I have to take Miralax daily (1/2 to 1full dose) per MD orders for bowel problems I've had for yrs.

I know that you derive net carbs from deducting fiber grams from total carbs, but I know for certain that Miralax contains no carbs (I called the company to ask and was on the phone over 20mins answering questions from them, Ha! I chose to do their survey).

My question is: do I deduct the fiber (17g) from the Miralax from my total carbs (from all foods) for the day? I haven't been doing that, but was wondering if I could/should. Thanks guys!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Bayluvr where did you get the info it contains fiber if MFP data is correct?

myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/miralax-polyethylene-glycol-3350-17-g-osmotic-laxative-207131898
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    OMG!! You know, you're absolutely 100% correct on this. A brain fart has caused me to confuse the 17g dose as being 17g fiber! I'm glad I've never counted that "fiber" to get my net carbs for the day.

When I called the company, it was to ascertain whether Miralax contained carbs, and I was assured that it does not. Thank you for pointing out this error.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Just on this, you can't subtract fibre from the total carbs for the day. It's per food only. So if you eat something that has 10g carbs, 7g fibre, it has 3g net carbs (or sugar). But if you eat something that has 10g fibre, it also has 10g carbs, always - making it 0 net carbs. You can not take that 10g fibre away from something else. Carbs = fibre + sugar.

I like to think of it like a diet coke does NOT cancel out a block of chocolate.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    That's the answer I was seeking, IF the Miralax contained fiber, which I now know it does not. But this was just simmering for awhile in the back of my mind, so I decided to put it out there. Thanks :)
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just on this, you can't subtract fibre from the total carbs for the day. It's per food only. So if you eat something that has 10g carbs, 7g fibre, it has 3g net carbs (or sugar). But if you eat something that has 10g fibre, it also has 10g carbs, always - making it 0 net carbs. You can not take that 10g fibre away from something else. Carbs = fibre + sugar.

I like to think of it like a diet coke does NOT cancel out a block of chocolate.

I agree. However, I assume that taking a fiber supplement with a meal would, in effect, lower the "total" glycemic index/load of the entire meal. Since fiber is a bulking agent that absorbs whatever's around it, I would think that it would absorb some of the carbs & sugars -just like it absorbs other nutrients from what you eat with it. I know they say you shouldn't take vitamins withing at least 30 minutes of taking fiber because of this very reason.

I know when I was loosely doing Atkins before, if I knew I was going to eat something carby (like an upcoming pizza party or something), then I would take some fiber beforehand to "soften" the spike in blood sugar. This was my own theory (which I never researched further, for hard evidence to back it up though).
  • geekgirl127
    geekgirl127 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I agree. However, I assume that taking a fiber supplement with a meal would, in effect, lower the "total" glycemic index/load of the entire meal. Since fiber is a bulking agent that absorbs whatever's around it, I would think that it would absorb some of the carbs & sugars -just like it absorbs other nutrients from what you eat with it. I know they say you shouldn't take vitamins withing at least 30 minutes of taking fiber because of this very reason.

I know when I was loosely doing Atkins before, if I knew I was going to eat something carby (like an upcoming pizza party or something), then I would take some fiber beforehand to "soften" the spike in blood sugar. This was my own theory (which I never researched further, for hard evidence to back it up though).

I would not stick to this on a regular basis and not sure it would lessen the impact of a cheat on low carb. It wouldn't hurt to do it if you are going to take a cheat I guess, but since its not medically I would not make it part of your regular plan
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    OMG!! You know, you're absolutely 100% correct on this. A brain fart has caused me to confuse the 17g dose as being 17g fiber! I'm glad I've never counted that "fiber" to get my net carbs for the day.

If you haven't done so view the sticky called: **START HERE! The LCD Launch Pad**

There's a link to modify MFP: Enhancing MFP Displays For Low Carb

Follow those instructions and it will add a column for Net Carbs to your food diary, negating the need to subtract fiber as it'll do it for you.

It'll make your food diary page look similar to this:

main_screen1.jpg
    >>>>>>>>>>main_screen2.jpg
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I think this is speculation at best.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    [/quote]

If you haven't done so view the sticky called: **START HERE! The LCD Launch Pad**

There's a link to modify MFP: Enhancing MFP Displays For Low Carb

Follow those instructions and it will add a column for Net Carbs to your food diary, negating the need to subtract fiber as it'll do it for you.

It'll make your food diary page look similar to this:

main_screen1.jpg
    >>>>>>>>>>main_screen2.jpg
    [/quote]

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I've read all the stickies, bought the books, watched the vids, lol! This was just something in the back of my mind which was caused by my distorted thinking that Miralax was 17g fiber when the 17g is the serving size. It amazes me that I didn't catch that because I am pretty well versed on nutrition (even at my max 344 lbs 17yrs ago), and I'm also a nurse who knows her meds pretty darned well.

I've been subtracting fiber from my carbs and note them daily in my food log, also I never counted the 'Miralax fiber" lol. Something must be working because I'm down 43 lbs since starting keto in Oct, with 15lbs to go to get to my ultimate weight range of 150-155, which I never accomplished even after gastric bypass in 2000. Lovin' this woe!
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I think this is speculation at best.
    I would not stick to this on a regular basis and not sure it would lessen the impact of a cheat on low carb. It wouldn't hurt to do it if you are going to take a cheat I guess, but since its not medically I would not make it part of your regular plan

I just did a very quick Google search on this subject matter just to satisfy my own curiosity & what I found from Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Oz (even though I'm not a huge fan of him anymore), and Meta Wellness all confirms my theory (enough for me, at least). They all essentially claim the same thing -that the "fiber supplementation slows the rate of food absorption from the gut into the bloodstream, thus reducing the amount of insulin produced after a meal".

It has always seemed like common sense to me because regardless of whether or not the fiber is naturally part of the food/meal, or supplemented.... it still does the exact same thing that ALL fiber does -it essentially lowers the glycemic index of whatever you ingest.

Currently, my intake of carbs is so low that I haven't done this is a couple months. But in the future, when I do end up increasing my carb intake some more again, I will most definitely return to supplementing with fiber before high carb meals. I'll be sure to keep detailed logs when this happens -that way I'll be able to see for sure, in the real world, how it will really affect me.