To those who lost a significant amount within a year (80+ lbs?)

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
In your first year or so of keto, was your loss steady, or were there several weeks at a time where it would stall, and then pick up again? I had an amazing first month but this second month is trying my patients.... I so want to be a success story this year, and I am not giving up, but I need some motivating stories!

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The first month is usually the biggest in terms of a drop on the scale because you are losing a lot of water weight. After that it becomes a more steady loss of BF though that isn't always conveyed in the scale. Sometimes people don't see a drop in terms of weight on the scale for weeks, months, or even in some extreme cases even over a year BUT their body IS recomposing itself.

I am not one with 80+ lbs to lose but want to chime in because I have seen probably 3 posts just in the last 2 days regarding not losing as much weight the second month as you do the first month. It was water (plus some fat).
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks is usually going to be a lot of water weight, so the stall is probably not a fat loss stall so much as a scale only stall since the water volume has now stabilized. Don't give up, there are lots of examples of people who have improved their size even when the scale did not budge...the scale is just a number...it's one metric to track your progress, but it doesn't have to be the only one...take photos and/or measurements and/or do fit tests so that you have multiple metrics of your progress.
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    thank you, but my body does need to loose the weight, and the inches are not moving either, I am not giving up, just want to hear others stories who started out where I am.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to not lose weight for weeks at a time. I experienced something similar. I lost .4 pounds one month, .6 the next and the month after that I lost 9.5 pounds within a week but throughout all of that I knew my diet was on point and I was eating at a deficit and the scale would catch up eventually.

What are you eating? Do you think there's a problem with your diet?
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    It's not unusual to not lose weight for weeks at a time. I experienced something similar. I lost .4 pounds one month, .6 the next and the month after that I lost 9.5 pounds within a week but throughout all of that I knew my diet was on point and I was eating at a deficit and the scale would catch up eventually.

What are you eating? Do you think there's a problem with your diet?

I keep my total carbs around 15. Make sure to hit my protein goals. I eat lots of meat & eggs. The only veggies I eat are lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and mushrooms, and I keep those at a minimum.
    I am not worried about what I am eating.... I have been pretty good, I eat 1-2 times a day, start the morning with a coffee and HWC
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    @Scochrane86 I lost 97 lbs over the last year and it definitely wasn't steady. I lost 50 lbs in the first 3 months and 47 lbs in the next 6 months, which actually included 2 months of no losses at all. The following 4 months I've been fighting to keep it off. I'm up 5 lbs right now, but am back on track with my diet. Carbs aren't my problem anymore, it's overall food volume that's been bogging me down lately, I've just been eating too much fat and protein. I still have another 100 lbs to lose, so I definitely need to get my shite together. The winter really jacked up my diet as I was hiking every evening and then when the cold and dark set in the activity ended and the food consumption increased. I've literally decided to move to be closer to the gym as my recent move to the country turned out to be hell for my health. Despite the huge initial benefits of being able to go hiking every evening, I'm realising that I can't just go into hibernation half the year.

It's a rollercoaster, consistency is critical for me. Fortunately I have other barometers for success when the scale isn't moving, I can rely on my blood glucose to tell me if I'm eating right or not and it gives me the motivation I need when the scale fails me.

What a great job! thanks!
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Not 80 but I hope to. I've lost 40 pounds in 11 weeks. I'm averaging 3.5 pounds a week. I'm shooting for 107 pounds total loss. It comes off faster when you're fat! Great job Scotland!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    It has taken me a little over 2 years to lose 91 lbs with 30 to go ....it does work your patience ...Hang in there :)
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    my scales jump all over the place, but the trend always ends up downwards :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Amy Berger just wrote a great blog post regarding the need to be prepared for the ups and stalls of the weight loss process.
    It may help.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/02/fat-loss-new-perspective.html?m=1
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    To avoid the scale messing with your head, weigh yourself only monthly or weekly at most. Use measurements and Keto sticks also.. the scale can be so fickle.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I lost an initial 80 lbs with WW back in the day. Then and now my body does not lose in a steady way. No consistent one pound loss a week for me. Some times it falls off in massive amounts and then it just drips off so slowly it's maddening. Though loss is a continued focus, non scale victories are a more important part of my overall outlook now simply because looking only at scale numbers drives me batty.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I went through stretches of either losing weight or hitting a plateau. My body is streaky like that :)