So which sweetener?

Options
2»

Replies

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    How about no sugar or any artificial sweeteners? Once you give them up, anything sweetened tastes disgusting.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure, but I don't believe the taste alone directly triggers an insulin release, meaning that the insulin reaction - a delayed one in many T2Ds - would be provoked by the earlier glucagon release. (Memory very hazy, but I think I picked this up from an YT lecture by a Cleveland Clinic endocrinologist....)

The smell or even memory of a food can start the whole process, especially for folks with insulin and glucose issues. If something is strong enough to cause your saliva to start, the body goes, "Oh, yeah, I remember this!" And it releases insulin in anticipation of the food it believes is coming, it starts the stomach acid production up (saliva starts this process), and all of that. It's part of the reason chewing gum can be such a problem for digestion (it uses up valuable stomach acids because it thinks you are having food between the smell, flavor, and chewing action)...

Because once you are hungry, that means that insulin is present in your blood stream and telling your body "we need glucose, please." It's part of the reason I am glad my boyfriend vapes scents that don't appeal to me 99% of the time. Even the smell of his vapor that is appealing can make me hungry, even if I wasn't before he started...

It's frustrating, but it's getting better as I improve my insulin sensitivity.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited February 2017
    Options
    [quote)]
    I hate Stevia too. No matter how little I use.
    :s
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    Stevia tastes super bitter to me. I like pure sucralose, very sparingly, maybe a drop or two in my tea.

Hmm. I'm getting seriously outnumbered here.. :o ..

Maybe I've got mutant taste genes. Bacon doesn't send me into ketogasms, either.

I'm with ya on the stevia. Gotta buy one that's pure or one that's mixed with erythritol.
    Ones mixed with erythritol can be used a little heavier if you want something sweeter.
    Pure stevia gives you a touch of sweet with 1 drop but not so much that you can taste any bitterness. You also don't get a whole lot of sweet. But I had a goal once of reducing my sweeteners to using the absolute least possible. Sweetening to tolerance, not taste preference.
    And stevia works great for that for me.

I'm a huge HUGE fan of this. I always say, "sweeten to tolerance, not to taste." My guy made fun of my for a while because of the 4 diet sodas I had over the course of a year, I had to cut them half and half with water because they were intolerably sweet! I just sweeten enough to take the edge off of something. If I find after I've finished something that I immediately want another serving (food, drink, whatever), it was likely too sweet or had a trigger substance in it. The exception is when it was a warm beverage and I'm cold so it was comforting regardless of substance (or vice versa, etc.)...

And I agree with @PaleoInScotland too... I'm constantly shocked at how sweet some things taste now. I'll tell my guy something is super sweet, and he'll look at me like I'm crazy. We had some Chinese not long ago, and I was like, "wow, there's some serious sugar in that sauce." Not having low carbed or ever given up his sugary crap, he thought I was completely insane. And that is even at higher carb levels now and admitting that I've embraced my sugar demons and had some binge relapses in the last several months, I can still tell the sweeter tastes in many things...

EDITED TO ADD: And I'm a fan of Sweet Leaf products...but I also find that things like Pyure (erythritol and stevia) are okay, but I never could do Truvia. I find that liquid sucralose doesn't bother me the same way that powdered does (due to the dextrose/maltodextrin issues, likely). Xylitol I only get in supplements (B12 lozenges) and toothpaste, but I'm not a fan. Make sure to add a dash of salt with any sweeteners. It balances bitter edges and allows you to use less. Also, combining sweeteners hits different parts of the taste buds, which allows you to get more flavor impact with less actual sweetener. But be careful of anything with "natural flavors" listed on the label. It means it's generally something they don't want to tell you is there. I have no idea what it is in Walden Farms products, but I get mind-exploding headaches with the barest taste. Same with the liquid stevia in a green squeeze bottle (WM generic) while the sucralose (also WM generic with natural flavors) did not trigger me. Some Sweet Leaf products have this too, but with them, it tends to be some proprietary nonsense, as I've never had it trigger headaches...
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    While I was doing my reading on sweeteners (natural and artificial) I came across one point that I thought was extremely interesting and could be another plus to quit them all together if possible....This was in regards to erythritol specifically but could probably apply to other sweeteners as well.

"Triggering obesity. When eating, the body releases hormones that reduce your appetite. but this is different from erythritol that does not give effect to the body. because sugar alcohols largely undigested through the body, the body will not have the same satiate signal as you would with a conventional sweet foods. This means you will continue to feel hungry even after consuming erythritol. In contrast to sugar from another source, this will certainly lead to obesity."

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    While I was doing my reading on sweeteners (natural and artificial) I came across one point that I thought was extremely interesting and could be another plus to quit them all together if possible....This was in regards to erythritol specifically but could probably apply to other sweeteners as well.

"Triggering obesity. When eating, the body releases hormones that reduce your appetite. but this is different from erythritol that does not give effect to the body. because sugar alcohols largely undigested through the body, the body will not have the same satiate signal as you would with a conventional sweet foods. This means you will continue to feel hungry even after consuming erythritol. In contrast to sugar from another source, this will certainly lead to obesity."

The observation is interesting... but the crude conclusion omits the exception for us ketophiles (and others who are able to control their eating patterns or don't experience the same triggers).
  • swezeytba
    Options

The observation is interesting... but the crude conclusion omits the exception for us ketophiles (and others who are able to control their eating patterns or don't experience the same triggers).

I agree.....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    But it stands to reason that if your hunger is increased, so too likely is your insulin level (insulin levels are supposed to be what drives hunger - your glucose dips, body releases insulin to tell you you're hungry, etc.) in anticipation of glucose, and that will STOP fat burning on the spot...until the insulin/glucose situation is handled. So the correlation above is ... seconded? ... I guess...

So even though we can control the hunger itself, the insulin reaction of stopping fat burning, etc. still happens...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

I agree.....

Did the article happen to mention stevia?
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've decided to go completely 'sweetness free' apart from the occasional diet drink, which in the UK are usually sweetened with Aspartame or acesulphame. I've had a bottle for about 2 weeks now that I can only take a couple of swallows at a time from because it just tastes so damn sweet - far too sweet for my adapted tastebuds! As I have inherited our family trait of an incredibly powerful sweet tooth I felt it was necessary to try and avoid anything which might fire it up and cause me to cheat - last time I went keto I was still eating sugar free, artificially sweetened desserts and ended up dipping into the biscuit jar because my sweet tooth got the better of me!
  • swezeytba
    Options

I agree.....

Did the article happen to mention stevia?

No...this article was specifically regarding the pros and cons of erythritol.
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had exploratory abdominal surgery in 1999, and was allowed nothing by mouth for 5 full days afterward, being supported only by IV hydration. On the night of day 5, I was allowed ice chips. Believe it or not, they were so sweet! Sips of water following the ice, and that was also sweet. My husband tasted it and thought I was still suffering the effects of the anesthesia lol, but the sweetness remained until I was allowed a liquid diet. So I guess it correlates that your sense of taste becomes heightened when you abstain, or are deprived in any way. JMHO.