Macros

Options
Hi everyone. So I've been told to lose the weight I want I need to have my macros set to 116g of protein 80 fat and 20 carbs to get into ketosis. What do you guys think? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    you definitely want more fat than protein. 20 grams of carbs is good!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Do you know your lean body mass? The 20 grams of carbs is good for ketosis, the other numbers depend on your stats and goals.
  • missangie1334
    missangie1334 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Those macros may serve you very well. Trying it out will surely give you a definite answer.
    You don't have to achieve ketosis to lose weight though. Eating low enough carbs and enough healthy fat that your body learns to use fat for fuel is where the fat loss comes from.
    What MUST be achieved is sustainability. This is where each person finds their personal threshold for how many and what kinds of carbs you can eat that causes you to be able to live your life every day that way AND have control of your cravings and hunger.
    For some, it's under 20g carbs. Some do very well with 100 or 150g. Some find they can indulge in low carb sweets or drink diet sodas without issue, others feel they cause major cravings for more and increased hunger feelings overall.
    The RIGHT way for you is something you'll figure out only after you start making changes and experiment.
    I think whatever allows you to be less hungry, eat less often and feel great is the best way to go.

Thank you for the info. So far it's been going good. I don't have a pretty bad sweet tooth that is making this a lil hard but I have been coming in under those numbers most days.
  • missangie1334
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    How much weight do you have to lose? Do you know your lean body mass? The 20 grams of carbs is good for ketosis, the other numbers depend on your stats and goals.

I have about 90lbs to lose. I was given these macros cause I breast feed so maybe that's why I have higher protein? Total calorie for this is under 1300
  • missangie1334
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    you definitely want more fat than protein. 20 grams of carbs is good!

Could it be I was given more protein than fat cause I'm breastfeeding
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion without knowing who told you to "lose the weight" and why you "need" to have your macros as stated in your post. Many participate here to lose weight and many participate for a health reason other than weight.

Welcome!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

I have about 90lbs to lose. I was given these macros cause I breast feed so maybe that's why I have higher protein? Total calorie for this is under 1300

How old is your little one? Is it your first? If the baby is still exclusively breastfeeding, especially if it's your first, I would hold off of intentionally losing weight, especially if they haven't started solids yet so you don't impact your supply. If the baby's older or you've done this before, my answers change. :)
  • kpk54
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I don't have an opinion without knowing who told you to "lose the weight" and why you "need" to have your macros as stated in your post. Many participate here to lose weight and many participate for a health reason other than weight.

Welcome!

Oops! I missed all the interim posts. We know the "reason" now so carry on. :)
  • missangie1334
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Welcome!

No one told me to lose weight I'm doing this cause I wanna be healthy and here for my two boys. The macros were suggested to me to get me into ketosis. It's not something that is set in stone.
  • missangie1334
    Options

How old is your little one? Is it your first? If the baby is still exclusively breastfeeding, especially if it's your first, I would hold off of intentionally losing weight, especially if they haven't started solids yet so you don't impact your supply. If the baby's older or you've done this before, my answers change. :)

This is my second boy he's 9 mos he's started trying solids about a month ago. I feed him on demand.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I think you'll just need to play around and watch your milk supply. I know that my daughter with baby #2 eats paleo but keeps her carbs higher since she is breastfeeding. She has managed to lose all the baby weight eating this way. Good luck..and congrats on baby #2!!!
  • missangie1334
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I think you'll just need to play around and watch your milk supply. I know that my daughter with baby #2 eats paleo but keeps her carbs higher since she is breastfeeding. She has managed to lose all the baby weight eating this way. Good luck..and congrats on baby #2!!!

Thank you. Definitely keeping my eyes on the milk supply. This is only day 4 for me but excited.
  • kpk54
    Options
    It's all good. Your original post said "so I've been told to lose weight" so I figured someone told you that you need to lose weight....etc. All good. I've no opinion in regards to intake/breastfeeding. I've never even had a baby. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding only requires enough calories, hydration, and electrolytes for the body to produce an adequate quantity of milk. The body will make quality milk regardless. It takes what it needs from the mother. The mother's macros matter zilch as far as that's concerned. If the mother wants to have good health in the process and a good supply, she'll eat enough calories and stay hydrated.

Weight loss is:
    Calorie deficit

Low-carb is:
    Under carb limit in grams
    Within protein range based on height/weight/activity level (grams)
    Fill the rest of intake with fat

• missangie1334
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Breastfeeding only requires enough calories, hydration, and electrolytes for the body to produce an adequate quantity of milk. The body will make quality milk regardless. It takes what it needs from the mother. The mother's macros matter zilch as far as that's concerned. If the mother wants to have good health in the process and a good supply, she'll eat enough calories and stay hydrated.

Weight loss is:
    Calorie deficit

Low-carb is:
    Under carb limit in grams
    Within protein range based on height/weight/activity level (grams)
    Fill the rest of intake with fat

Good to know thank you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read says you should not drop below 50g carbs per day while breastfeeding.
  • missangie1334
    Options
    Everything I have read says you should not drop below 50g carbs per day while breastfeeding.

Can you let me know where you have seen this?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I think this a a popular misconception that's been accepted as dogma. Most of the native cultures in Canada were very low carb, and I imagine much of Scandinavia was too. Plus there are many people who naturally ate low carb, although much much less that those who ate high carb while pregnant and Bf'ing.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that a pregnant woman should eat at macros that promote best health in her. I would definitely avoid fast or extreme changes in your diet. I would cut carbs slowly, and add protein slowly. If you already eat protein that high(~116g), then its a non-issue.

Be aware of electrolyte and water loss as you cut carbs. Most need to up sodium to over 3000-5000mg per day to avoid dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.
  • missangie1334
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think this a a popular misconception that's been accepted as dogma. Most of the native cultures in Canada were very low carb, and I imagine much of Scandinavia was too. Plus there are many people who naturally ate low carb, although much much less that those who ate high carb while pregnant and Bf'ing.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that a pregnant woman should eat at macros that promote best health in her. I would definitely avoid fast or extreme changes in your diet. I would cut carbs slowly, and add protein slowly. If you already eat protein that high(~116g), then its a non-issue.

Be aware of electrolyte and water loss as you cut carbs. Most need to up sodium to over 3000-5000mg per day to avoid dehydration or electrolyte imbalance.

I'm not sure how much protein I was consuming before this. But I think the biggest change I've made is to my carbs. I've always drank a lot of water so I hit my intake for my bodyweight. I think the sodium I do need to up cause I've had a lot of headaches since starting... maybe the "keto flu"?