Macros

Options
2»

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You should consume 0.8-1.2 g of protein per lean body mass if you are trying to gain muscle (and are strength training in order to do so). Eat 0.6-0.8 g of protein per lean body mass if you are trying to maintain muscle. That said, your protein may be a little high depending on what your goals are and how much lean body mass you have. Also excess protein can make it more difficult to get into or stay in ketosis.

On the other hand, there are plenty of carnivore low carbers here. I'm not sure if they are 24/7 in a state of ketosis or exactly how much protein vs. fat they are getting in their diet but I know they are still losing weight.

Bottom line is, just do what works for you. You may need more fat or the protein might be a reasonable level for you. Also do what helps you STICK TO your plan. Carb macros look good but again that 20-30g is an individual number. You might discover you can maintain in ketosis at closer to 40g or you might find that you need to strictly be 20g or less.
  • missangie1334
    missangie1334 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    You should consume 0.8-1.2 g of protein per lean body mass if you are trying to gain muscle (and are strength training in order to do so). Eat 0.6-0.8 g of protein per lean body mass if you are trying to maintain muscle. That said, your protein may be a little high depending on what your goals are and how much lean body mass you have. Also excess protein can make it more difficult to get into or stay in ketosis.

On the other hand, there are plenty of carnivore low carbers here. I'm not sure if they are 24/7 in a state of ketosis or exactly how much protein vs. fat they are getting in their diet but I know they are still losing weight.

Bottom line is, just do what works for you. You may need more fat or the protein might be a reasonable level for you. Also do what helps you STICK TO your plan. Carb macros look good but again that 20-30g is an individual number. You might discover you can maintain in ketosis at closer to 40g or you might find that you need to strictly be 20g or less.

Thank you
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I only breastfed my twins for a month and was following nutrition guidelines for twin pregnancy/BFing that weren't low carb, so I'm not sure about that.

1300 cals/day does seem a bit low if you're breastfeeding but see how you feel, keep an eye on supply, etc., and see.

For what it's worth, I started keto with about 20 lbs to lose. I set my calories to 1350/day and I experimented with macro ratios. I ended up with 15% carbs, 60% fat and 25% protein. I would also eat back about 1/2-2/3 of my exercise calories most of the time. That worked really well for me but like pp's have mentioned, it helps to experiment to see what works best for you since we're all different.
  • missangie1334
    missangie1334 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I only breastfed my twins for a month and was following nutrition guidelines for twin pregnancy/BFing that weren't low carb, so I'm not sure about that.

1300 cals/day does seem a bit low if you're breastfeeding but see how you feel, keep an eye on supply, etc., and see.

For what it's worth, I started keto with about 20 lbs to lose. I set my calories to 1350/day and I experimented with macro ratios. I ended up with 15% carbs, 60% fat and 25% protein. I would also eat back about 1/2-2/3 of my exercise calories most of the time. That worked really well for me but like pp's have mentioned, it helps to experiment to see what works best for you since we're all different.

Good insight thank you