Group Fitness Classes

Options
inspire_emfitness
inspire_emfitness Posts: 20 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Hi everyone!
I'm just getting back into the daily gym routine. I'm trying to find the right routine for my life!

I want to start going to fitness classes but I'm super intimidated by them! I work out at Lifetime Fitness and I just moved to a new state so I don't have a 'buddy' to go with me.

Any advice on group fitness classes? Classes you love and classes to avoid...

Feel free to add me also! I would love to become more social on MFP.

Replies

• rambabean
    rambabean Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Personally I find classes less intimating than gym as I don't need to think about it, just follow the instructor (I have no idea what I'm doing in the gym).

I'm a huge fan of Les Mills Body Pump, Body Balance and recently tried Body Combat. If you are already fit Zumba might not be enough for you but it is so much fun. Still building up the courage to go to spinning class, they sound scary.
  • JosieMay100
    JosieMay100 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. If you mention to the instructor at the start your new they are normally quite helpful. After going once youll be fine x
  • natashachristina
    Options
    Does your gym offer any barre classes? Those are hard, fun and build muscle. I've taken boot camp style classes and Zumba, of course the instructor is so important. I just do yoga now at a yoga studio and I love it so much.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    rambabean wrote: »
    Personally I find classes less intimating than gym as I don't need to think about it, just follow the instructor (I have no idea what I'm doing in the gym).

I'm a huge fan of Les Mills Body Pump, Body Balance and recently tried Body Combat. If you are already fit Zumba might not be enough for you but it is so much fun. Still building up the courage to go to spinning class, they sound scary.

I feel the same way, I like that they just tell me what to do and I do it, plus there are a bunch of other people doing it too so I don't feel as silly.

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrified to do group classes and never have anyone to go with because we travel for work (so we are always in a new town where I don't know anyone), but then one time I just figured screw it! So I went and it was totally awesome!

I have loved all of the ones I have tried and all the people are so friendly and welcoming, I made pals the first time! So far I have done yoga, ab class, Zumba, and hip hop.

Also this is off subject but I also love running races, same deal... even if you don't know anyone it's such a blast because everyone there running is so supportive and friendly! It must be all the exercise induced endorphins or something ;)
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also used to be terrified of group classes, but now I love them because having a specific time on my schedule makes me less likely to skip my workout for the day.
    I take a lot of classes at a local aerial gym, it's the kind of specialized classes that are not available everywhere but are really great full-body workouts.
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm a group fitness instructor! You have nothing to fear. There will be people at all fitness levels/experience/etc and you won't stick out. Group fitness makes it easier to stick to a workout routine and you can make great friends in class :) just try some classes to find what classes/instructors suit your personality. If it's fun, you'll stick to it longer