What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Training for my 3rd marathon in May, and I might squeeze in a half in March as part of the schedule. 3rd marathon, but I crashed and burned on the first two, so I'm taking my training really slowly in terms of increasing mileage, and so far so good.

After that, I'll drop down to 5k at my local Parkrun and try to finally break the 20 minute barrier, before a 10k in July, another half in November and another 10k on Boxing Day.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    rightoncomm - did you go out too fast? I have that problem on all my long races. For my first marathon it wasn't too bad, between the too fast early miles and the too slow late ones, I actually finished just where I expected. On the second one, there was a 6 mile downhill to start the race, then rolling hills. I went too fast for those first miles, though I swore I wouldn't. The temperature was also much higher than I had expected or trained for so by mile 12 I was dying. I ended up doing a lot of walking and finished 20 minutes slower than the first race. I am determined to pace myself better for my 3rd, but I have my doubts since I always end up going too fast on my training runs. I tell myself 'slow down' but when I look at my watch, the pace is the same, or faster.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What are your best tips and tricks for marathon training (workouts, pacing strategy, nutrition during training, etc.)??
  • JuliaH728
    JuliaH728 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yuengling Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach. March 20th. Current PR 3:48, hoping to hit 3:40 at this race and then be in good shape to qualify for Boston in the fall (Richmond marathon maybe?? Did it last fall and LOVED it. Highly recommend)
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Did New Orleans Marathon at the end of Feb, and now going to do a couple of half marathons before the triathlon season here gets started in earnest. Sly Fox in St. Charles, IL on April 23, and then Sunburst in South Bend, IN on June 4. My next marathon is going to be Seattle on Thanksgiving weekend, since my dad wants to do the half and it would be fun to do the same event while he can (he will be 73 when it happens).

I ran rock n roll Seattle last June and it was so great. For such a hilly city, the course was surprisingly flat!
  • JuliaH728
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    What are your best tips and tricks for marathon training (workouts, pacing strategy, nutrition during training, etc.)??

Join a training group if your area has one. So so helpful!
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    Workouts depend on which plan you are following. Some are all easy running, some include marathon pace runs, some include very specific speed workouts every week. It depends on your fitness level and time.

Pacing is something I have a hard time with. I understand the strategy, but I have a very had time doing it. Basically you want to maintain an even pace throughout, or start slightly slower than your goal and increase the pace as the race goes on. After tapering for the race, it is very hard to restrain yourself. I found myself going out 15-20 seconds per mile too fast for the first 12 miles and that came back to bite me later on in the race. It can be hard to figure out what your goal pace should be. Race predictors assume that you are running 70 mpw and are an experienced racer, so the goal that they give is generally too optimistic unless you are training at that level.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Workouts depend on which plan you are following. Some are all easy running, some include marathon pace runs, some include very specific speed workouts every week. It depends on your fitness level and time.

Pacing is something I have a hard time with. I understand the strategy, but I have a very had time doing it. Basically you want to maintain an even pace throughout, or start slightly slower than your goal and increase the pace as the race goes on. After tapering for the race, it is very hard to restrain yourself. I found myself going out 15-20 seconds per mile too fast for the first 12 miles and that came back to bite me later on in the race. It can be hard to figure out what your goal pace should be. Race predictors assume that you are running 70 mpw and are an experienced racer, so the goal that they give is generally too optimistic unless you are training at that level.

Yeah I've found that I really have no idea where to set my goal pace and I feel like race predictors haven't helped. I just finished week 1 of training, my plan is based off Hanson Method with speed work intervals and progressions. Hoping to Bq this year so hopefully this plan works!
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    rightoncomm - did you go out too fast? I have that problem on all my long races. For my first marathon it wasn't too bad, between the too fast early miles and the too slow late ones, I actually finished just where I expected. On the second one, there was a 6 mile downhill to start the race, then rolling hills. I went too fast for those first miles, though I swore I wouldn't. The temperature was also much higher than I had expected or trained for so by mile 12 I was dying. I ended up doing a lot of walking and finished 20 minutes slower than the first race. I am determined to pace myself better for my 3rd, but I have my doubts since I always end up going too fast on my training runs. I tell myself 'slow down' but when I look at my watch, the pace is the same, or faster.

I went out way too fast the first time, having got a huge PB at 5k during the taper and naively assuming that meant I was fitter than I thought. On race day the clouds burnt off just as the race started and the temperature soared and I got calf cramps at 15 miles, basically because I'd got it completely wrong. The second time was warm again, but the main thing was that I got my fuelling strategy wrong. had breakfast too early (for me), dropped a gel, missed an energy drink during the course and got cramp in quads and hams at about mile 20.

On both occasions my training was interrupted by a winter chest cold that I get most years and an unfortunate ankle sprain that I don't get most years!

This time, my mileage is a lot higher, so far I've stayed injury- and illness-free, and I have a realistic goal time in mind. Oh, and no big body-shredding 20 mile+ long run planned for right before the taper.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I have found that starting with a pace group that is slightly slower than my goal pace has helped to keep me from starting too fast. I try to talk and socialize with people to pass the time and keep my mind from thinking I *could* be running faster. I try to stick with them for the first 10 miles or so and then slowly start to pull away, but focusing on trying to keep something in the tank for the finish. I used this strategy for my BQ marathon and ended up finishing 7 minutes faster than the pace group I started with and had huge negative splits.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I also want to add that I think it's pretty important to be honest with yourself up front about where you hope to finish and work on that from the start. For example, I have seen people say they want to get a sub 4, but what they are really thinking is that maybe they can get a 3:55. They start the race aiming for the 3:55 when they had been training for the 4 and they blow it. If they had gone out for the 4:00, but were capable of the 3:55, they probably would have been able to turn it on in the end and get it. Races are usually won at the finish and not the start. I rarely, if ever, hear someone say, "Yeah, I crashed hard at the end, but I still shattered my goal".
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    Small races don't have usually have pacers. My first marathon was trying them out for the first time, but the guy I was running with had no idea what he was doing. He had paced friends, but never a group. He would start talking and his pace wandered all over the place, from way too slow to way too fast. I dropped him at the one mile mark and finished ahead of him. The race didn't use pacers after that, so I think my experience was not unique. My second race didn't have pacers and my next won't either. With less than 500 runners, it isn't worth the expense, I guess. A good pacer can be great, but a bad one is worse than useless.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I have found that starting with a pace group that is slightly slower than my goal pace has helped to keep me from starting too fast. I try to talk and socialize with people to pass the time and keep my mind from thinking I *could* be running faster. I try to stick with them for the first 10 miles or so and then slowly start to pull away, but focusing on trying to keep something in the tank for the finish. I used this strategy for my BQ marathon and ended up finishing 7 minutes faster than the pace group I started with and had huge negative splits.

@lporter229 Thank you for this post!! As I'm heading into my marathon, I've been contemplating exactly what you did. Initially, I was thinking I wanted to run with the pace group for my goal pace, but lately, Ive been thinking i might want to start with the one that is 5 minutes slower, and then start to pull away around 10 miles or so. On one hand, I liked the idea of running with a pace group the entire time so I don't have to worry about pace. (Provided the pacer is good, and I'm totally prepared to do without if I have concerns during the race.) On the other hand, I feel like if I start slower for a good portion of the race, I'll have gas in the tank to pick it up and still make my goal time or close to it. Decisions...decisions... ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I'm going to have to keep this in mind over the next 16 weeks as I train. They have pace groups for 4:20 and 4:30 that I'm eyeing for my marathon, just because I feel comfortable with them. 4:20 is my stretch goal, and a 4:30 would be just about exactly double the time of mt first HM, and I've chopped a lot off my HM time since then, and my training runs have all been a bunch faster than that pace....but the longer long runs will be the real deciders.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Training for a couple of half marathons over the next couple of weeks, a marathon in Vancouver, B.C. in May and hoping to qualify for Boston at the Berlin marathon in September
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Training for:
    5 K Run the Hook at Sandy Hook NJ, May 14;
    10K, my first 10K race, Ridgewood NJ May 29;
    5K Wayne NJ July 22:
    4 Miler, Garrett Mountain, Woodland Park NJ, Aug (not yet scheduled);
    Half Marathon, Franklin Lakes NJ Sept. Not yet scheduled. Second running. Hoping to break PB of 2:17:10.
    Pretty much last years schedule but running 10K in Ridgewood in lieu of 5K.

My home town may again host a 5K a week before the Half Marathon, I'd do that again if held. We'll see if anything else pops up ;-)
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My first HM on 1st of May ... hoping for sub2hrs, which might be a challenge @54 and 16 stone :) ... oh well, we'll see
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Training for the Illinois Marathon. Shooting for a Boston qualifying run which is sub 3:25. As I continue to lose weight I want to get a sub 1:30 half in later this year.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love reading this thread and seeing all the amazing things you guys are doing... and reading all the cool tips. Figured I'd stop lurking long enough to join in.

I'm currently training for:
    - 15K at the beginning of March in Annapolis MD (which I've already signed up for)
    - HM at the end of March in Annapolis MD (which I haven't signed up for, but began training with this particular half in mind)
    - HM mid-May in Chester County PA (which I again, haven't signed up for)
    - HM at the end of September in DC (Navy Air Force Half... and again, haven't signed up for this... may not. I hate training in the summer due to heat.)

There are a couple of other races I'm thinking of doing as well... I just realized I must be something of a commitment-phobe, since I'm seriously considering several races but have only signed up for one. If I actually run the halfs I'm considering, I might move up to full-crazy (marathon) next year instead of only half-crazy...

• codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Tulip Run 5k on April 8
    Ogden Marathon on May 20
    Urban Trail run 10k on June 3
    Freedom run 15k on July 4
    Top of Utah Half Marathon on August 26
    Top of Utah Marathon on September 16

Going to be a busy year!!