Protein Shakes??

Options
Does anyone drink protein shakes?? My mom just kind of wants a meal replacement or something to hold her over. I'm looking for a meal replacement since I'm running around all day and want to make sure I don't slip up and get fast food! I'm going to do some research online but want the opinions of people on a similar path as us. :smile:

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I go through spurts of doing protien smoothies ... I made my own at home though with fruit yogurt and skim milk powder. Plus you can add all sorts of other things that you may like or want to hide... I found it cheaper but more work when i was in a hurry which was my barrier.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I do not like the shakes, any shakes. I use Quest bars.
  • MissBecca145
    MissBecca145 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes. But I do eventually tire of them I find. And it's mainly a summer thing. I'd much rather have porridge/oatmeal in winter. I do them for breakfast and post-workout. Occasionally I'll go through a spate of 2 shakes + a meal a day. Just finished one of those - lost about 15 pounds in the process. It definitely works, but isn't sustainable long term. Good for a kick start/to beat a plateau though.

I recently used Arbonne vegan protein - was quite good. I'm not into the whole pyramid selling aspect of it all so I'm gonna go back to my preferred - an Aussie brand called Amazonia. Their Raw Protein Isolate is really good. I was able to get it at Whole Foods sometimes though. It's pricey, unfortunately, but the most agreeable one I've found (I'm not vegan, I just avoid whey).
  • annalisa2662
    annalisa2662 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I drink Orgain Organic for breakfast with almond milk. 16oz of chocolate is 250 calories. I started with the premade drinks and then went to the powder. It was a little grainy at first but I like that it's not full of sugar verses SlimFast first ingredient is sugar. Orgain also makes a SLIM but it's more expensive and it's already on the high side for me anyways. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.
  • HawksChick92
    HawksChick92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the help! Definitely more info here than on any site or online review... thanks!! :smiley: I got a coupon for GNC so looking at those. They have a few that are for weight loss but like Annalisa said, a few have sugar as the main ingredient. Sneaky sneaky...
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    What kind of Quest bars do you like? I tried a couple but they absolutely tasted like cardboard!
  • MissBecca145
    MissBecca145 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    asrai50 wrote: »
    What kind of Quest bars do you like? I tried a couple but they absolutely tasted like cardboard!

I was going to ask my feed the very same thing today!! The only one I've found 'ok' is the cookie dough one. I think because the texture is a bit better/less grainy.

Please peeps, give us your Quest tips!
  • sarahyourprincess
    sarahyourprincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love the cookies and cream quest bar, and thr cookie dough is good. The strawberry cheesecake/cinnamon one is tasty if you nuke it ever so slightly
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    My favorite one is the white chocolate raspberry! I also like cookies and cream, cookie dough and double chocolate chunk!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Speaking of protein shakes:

two weeks ago in Walmart I came across Skinny Girl protein shakes, and I loved it! It wasn't chalky, it didn't have a bunch of sludge in the bottom (like coco libre does), and it was very good tasting - and made with stevia, NOT sucrolose or other artifical sweeteners. And best of all - 1 bottle was only 80 calories!

However, when I went back to get more, they were out, and when I started looking online, it looks like the company has discontinued the product :(

Anyone know why they quit making them and could they recommend something that is low calorie but high protein? I have trouble getting enough protein in a day and keeping to the calorie limit without going overboard on sugar - but I'm avoiding artificial sweeteners.