Headaches

Options
papa369
papa369 Posts: 31 Member
Hi, I'm getting headaches now that I'm working on getting my Glucose under 200. When I get under 150 I get these headaches and I wonder how can I ever get my glucose down or under 130. I've been a diabetic for many years taking oral meds. Just recently my Dr. change things up and put me on 2 Glipizide am & pm and 2 Metformin am & pm and started me on Humulin N. I started at 5 units and yesterday moved up to 10 units. My desire is to get down to 130. My last A1c 9.8, My Great Granddaughter who is 27 month old was just Diagnosed Type 1. We spent a long week in Pediatrics' ICU. I need to be a good example for her and she is my motivation for eating better. I just don't understand how everyone can get the glucose number down to 80 to 120.

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    no clue how anybody else does it but what is working for me is diet and exercise. I take metformin 2x daily and januvia in the morning, and am down to 450#. in 2013, when i first went on metformin my levels where 165-210, it took my levels down to 140-160, in january 2016 i started januvia, levels down to 120-140. Started diligently working on losing weight through changing the amounts of what i eat and walking in the spring of 2016, levels are mostly 90-130. over that time my a1c has dropped from 7.9 to 6.1

ah, but the headaches... for my it seems that when my levels are more than 10 points either way of my current normal range i get them.

as for the dietary change i try to limit my macros to about 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein for me that seems to help. YMMV.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Considering that most T2Ds (like moi) are carb intolerant/insulin resistant, 45% carbs seems very high to me, but your progress has been great.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a carb cycling plan. I was getting too many headaches strictly LCHF/keto. Now I have a moderate carb day during the week. It doesnt throw me off the fat burning process, and keeps the LC "side effect" away from me. I keep my macros set at 20% carbs most of the week, 40% one day of the week but rarely actually eat that much of it. Works for me :)