To Fast or Not to Fast (& when) that is my question...

Options
My body is probably saying "what the..." I read something new (most from you guys on this community) and I am incorporating. LCHF, great recipie ideas, macro nutrient %'s etc.... Now I read about fasting. Do you fast and what are your results? I am thinking about the 16:8 fast. My twist (I read most fasters skip breakfast) is that I like breakfast so I am going to Fast from 3pm until 7am. Eat breakfast then Lunch, and something before 3pm. All Low Carbs for I want to get in to Ketosis everyone is raging about, another thing my body is reacting too! Anyways - wanted your thoughts.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I IF 16:8 because it's easy to when fat adapted and it helps me keep my calories in check. I'm looking into doing extended fasting (3-5 day) for other reasons.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I IF 16:8 because it's easy to when fat adapted and it helps me keep my calories in check. I'm looking into doing extended fasting (3-5 day) for other reasons.

Cool! Thanks...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I naturally fell into a 18:8 IF schedule. Personally, I think the schedule you are looking at is better, but I am in the majority who skips breakfast. I only do it this way because of I have an 11 yo daughter and my wife and I have made it a point since she was born to have dinner together 6 nights a week.

While traveling, I have tried it the way you propose and I think it provided slightly better FBG readings, although it is hard to be sure with such a limited amount of data.

I really like breakfast, also....or I should say I really like eating. The biggest shock for me in this WOE is not being hungry. I spent 40+ years of my life being hungry nearly 100% of the time, so realizing one day that I wasn't actually hungry was weird for me.

I have transitioned to having eggs for either lunch or dinner 3-4 times a week (or more sometimes) just because I really like them and not eating breakfast anymore could not mean not eating "breakfast" foods for me.

I fell into this after I was already in maintenance in terms of weight, so I can't speak to that. I do think it has helped with my BG readings, and since that is the primary reason I eat this way, that is important. Since BG corresponds to insulin, it seems it would make sense that this would help with weight loss if that is your goal. I know many in this group have found success using IF, although not all.

After converting to IF, many will throw in a 24 hour or longer fast periodically. It is significantly easier to do when LCHF and when you get used to the 16:8 schedule.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I really like breakfast, also....or I should say I really like eating. The biggest shock for me in this WOE is not being hungry. .
    Thanks! What is WOE? We need a glossary of acronyms!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    WOE stands for 'way of eating'.

I am also a 16:8 faster. I normally don't eat before noon and finish eating around 8 PM. The only day I consistently eat breakfast is Sunday because that is a family thing with my father and sister.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    I really like breakfast, also....or I should say I really like eating. The biggest shock for me in this WOE is not being hungry. .

I hear you. There is a glossary of terms in the launch pad:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

It took me a while to get them, but before long, you will have the main ones down.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »

We do....Here's a link, but it's located in the launch pad which has a lot of useful information....You should go in there and explore...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10081444/glossary-of-terms-abbreviations-and-acronyms?new=1
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options

Actual fasting, egg fasting or another type of fasting? I have pondered the question of doing an extended water fast for 24-48hrs (I'll break it when I am feeling hungry, and my body has plenty of fuel to consume in the meantime)

I usually do IF, I eat between 12-8pm simply as I am usually not hungry before lunch.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »

Actual fasting, egg fasting or another type of fasting? I have pondered the question of doing an extended water fast for 24-48hrs (I'll break it when I am feeling hungry, and my body has plenty of fuel to consume in the meantime)

I usually do IF, I eat between 12-8pm simply as I am usually not hungry before lunch.

Ideally a water fast. A broth/coconut oil fast if I need it. For me it would be for increased immunity and cancer prevention. I'd love to build up to a couple 7 day fasts a year. I've been listening to Fasting Talk with Jimmy Moore and Jason Fung and reading a lot on the fasting sections of the 2 Keto Dudes forums.
  • Bonny132
    Options
    @Cadori I have been considering doing a fast simply as I felt so energized last time I accidentally did one (it was a 72hrs one). Too much work, I simply forgot to eat. My skin looked great and well moisturized, less impurities, I slept well and had a great mental clarity. I did drink a lot of water though, my new thing is hot water. I have replaced the majority of my cofee with plain hot water. Therefore I have looked into doing a pre-planned one. I will check out the 2 Keto Dudes Forum and their fasting sections, sounds like something I ought to read.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I have done 24 hours once. For me, hunger was not really an issue. I struggle with habit/boredom eating. If I do a full day or longer again, I will make sure I have my day planned to stay busy. I did have a cup of bone broth, so it wasn't 0 calories, although it was pretty close. I think I would have either died or killed someone if I had tried it back in the days of eating the SAD.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    , my new thing is hot water. .

My aunt used to drink hot water as a beverage.....She's one of the only people I have ever known who did that.....It's not a bad idea.....

• Bonny132
    Options
    Hot water has spread across my team at work, I can name 10 people in my office who now drink hot water daily. I got the advice from a colleague of mine, and I admit I laughed at the time. But I was having massive sleeping issues so the coffee had to go. I was sooooooo missing my hot drinks but herbal teas did not hit the spot, so I tried it, not looked back since, and slowly more and more people in my team have started to drink hot water too. It has also made me drink more cold water, don't know why. These days I have no issues hitting my water target on my working days, I easily chug down 8 cups/2 liters of water a day at work alone, plus I do 1 or 2 salted bullion's too to ensure I get enough salt. Actually getting used to using a lot more salt, was harder than starting to drink hot water.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 at couple times a week. I'm not on a set schedule, I just decide to do it when thr mood strikes me and that's about 2 to 3 times a week I've noticed. I usually do it if I've had a bigger dinner the night before. I dont monitor my blood glucose so I cant speak to intermittent fasting effects on that but for me, I find its helped jump start weight loss in the past and I like the psychological feelings of control over food it provides.

I will say in the past when I haven't been as strict with LC if I skipped breakfast or dinner I was a hangry mess of a person with a horrid headache. Not so with this WOE.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    My usual daily routine is 23:1. I have tried all sorts of combinations of fasts and have settled into eating once daily at supper. Sometimes this meal is a breakfast type of meal or a combo meal like a burger with bacon and egg.

Eating this way is how I feel my best but it was a very gradual process. I am so satisfied with my one meal that I am not hungry until 23 hours later.

I did a 48 hour fast a few days ago and will start another this week, perhaps 72 hours. If I get hungry, I have a bit of butter or coconut oil or bone broth, but mainly I drink black coffee, herb tea and lots of water in between meals.

I do it for weight loss but also for mental benefits of elevated mood, increased mental clarity and energy. I also feel peaceful at the same time as I feel energized, so it's a very good feeling
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have tried the morning/midday eating; works ok but the major con is shoving too much food into the system early in the day causing lethargy, drowsiness, & bloating. I found it to be less productive for getting work done during the day. However, night time eating presents its problems with exacerbating GERD & cardiovascular activity estimated at 15minute intervals (if you read between the lines).

Hope this helps, fasting has to fit-in with the individual's lifestyle. If you simply like breakfast food, who cares what time of day it is? Nothing wrong going against these so called social norms
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have incorporated extended fasting into my lifestyle with a bit of practice - usually Sunday night to Friday night. I only drink water, coffee, herbal teas and homemade broth - no sweeteners or cream, etc.
    I had to work up to 5 day fasts but it fits in well with my weekday schedule. I find it very free-ing in a lot of ways - don't have to prep or take food to work, etc. It helps to be well fat adapted when doing extended fasting such as this and I definitely get good results in terms of fat loss.

I second reading up on Dr Jason Fungs information on fasting, as he explains it very well.
    Ultimately, you do what works for you in the fasting situation!
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Similar to @mmultanen

I am a sort of accidental faster, no real science behind it, I'm just not really hungry most mornings. I generally eat a 2 egg omelette with spinach, tomatoes, bacon and cheese at around 11.30/midday and that sees me through until dinner at around 7.30.
    I'm rarely hungry or tired anymore, although if I am hungry I'll grab a small snack.

Eating this way seems to work well with my calories goals. I think because I'm having 2 satisfying meals rather than 3 smaller ones, mentally I don't feel short changed and I'm not trying to squeeze calories out of additional meals that my body actually doesn't want or need.

Hope you find what work for you
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    28507ppufjs2.png
    My first fast was yesterday at 3:pm until 7am this morning. I think it went pretty well!