Diary critiquing

Options
karisbear
karisbear Posts: 64 Member
Can someone take a look at my entries and tell me if I'm doing this right?

Maybe hand out some advice?

Thanks you!

Replies

• nanapuddin1
    nanapuddin1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @karisbear, Would you mind giving your height? And what is your goal (weight loss, maintenance, or gain)? Are you lifting weight regularly?
    Your diary is not set up to reflect your protein intake. That is Very important.
    Your carb count is good.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I am on the phone app so I can't see diaries but as others take a look It will help your know your goals, stats, activity, etc
    But also this group is all levels of low carb, so are you looking to be keto or what is your carb maximum?
  • karisbear
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sandyt151 wrote: »
    @karisbear, Would you mind giving your height? And what is your goal (weight loss, maintenance, or gain)? Are you lifting weight regularly?
    Your diary is not set up to reflect your protein intake. That is Very important.
    Your carb count is good.

My height is 5'2
    My goal weight I would like to be 150, I try to lift 3 days a weeks and cardio but I just took up my seasonal job and a cider house so I'll be lifting crates but that's about it.

Also my protein is at 75g-100g
  • karisbear
    Options
    Anyone
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    You can monitor this yourself by following the instructions in the launchpad on altering your view of MFP.
    Add your protein column in the standard view and then use your browser with the script installed.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348436/enhancing-mfp-displays-for-low-carb#latest

I agree with SunnyBunny, your carbs looked good on the days I viewed, under 10%. You do go over on fats but again, you don't have proteins displayed so that is probably ok % wise as well.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    karisbear wrote: »
    Anyone

I looked at your info last night but didn't respond. Here's my opinion:
    Agree with the poster above that you should move your protein to the main screen to monitor it regularly unless you have a specific reason for having sugar or calcium there. Remove either the calcium or sugar and replace with protein.

Also for ease, put them in order where carbs is followed by fiber so you can easily subtract fiber from carbs for net carbs if you are counting net carbs. Or you can install the thing in the link in the prior post. I don't use it.

1340 calories seem reasonable for a 30 year old 5'2 female. You're showing only a couple of workout days in February (I looked at only February) so a real opinion on calories, I don't have. It's reasonable. Perhaps you are lifting 3 days a week and just don't enter it. You've lost 11 pounds already and have 10 more to go according to your ticker so kudos on that! I'm assuming that you put all your stats in MFP accurately for the rate of loss you desire so I don't need your height to see what other calculators indicate is the "proper" amount of calories for you. I've found MFP to be generally in line with the multitude of other calculators I have used.

Without doing all the calculations it appears you have your macros set to either 70% fat/25p/5 carbs or 65% fat/30% protein/5% carbs. Seems to be ~100 grams? Either is fine if you don't exceed your carb max and generally meet the protein goal. Either of the aforementioned percentage splits are typical of keto folks.

Many folks dabble in setting protein to a higher % (or # of grams) ensuring to meet minimum protein amounts for their specific needs (athletic or physique). It does not to be this complicated for one who is not a highly active, training athlete etc. Your 25% or 30% protein goal should be more than enough for you.

I don't really look at what folks eat or measures they do or do not use. If someone looked at my diary, they could pick it apart to the nth degree if they chose to do so. That said, if you are using generic type entries from the data base (cauliflower casserole, 1 serving as an example) those can be way off from what you are actually eating. What's really in the casserole or what constitutes a serving? Entries such as "1/2 medium avocado" is a pretty weak entry from the database. Remember I'm not saying you used this. I didn't look at entries. Point is, something as calorie dense as an avocado is weighed at best. There is a variance in "medium" in regards to calories, carbs, net carbs, fiber and protein.

Hope that helps.

• karisbear
    Options
    There I think I did it right
    Thanks for the help!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help!

Yes but now you left off Fats. There is 1 more category available so add the Fats category back in. :)
  • karisbear
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help!

Yes but now you left off Fats. There is 1 more category available so add the Fats category back in. :)

Some days I swear I need a license to use technology.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks good but I would recommend weighing your food on a food scale and using grams instead of cups for food ...you would measure your liquids in spoons and or cups ...I hope that helps
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help!

Some days I swear I need a license to use technology.

@karisbear ...That's a GREAT line so I'm stealing it!! LOLZ :D
  • nanapuddin1
    nanapuddin1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good advice by kpk54.