Does anyone use Swerve?

Options
mkinney07
mkinney07 Posts: 66 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
I try not to use sweeteners too much, but having a little bit here and there helps me stay on track. I'm getting a little tired of the taste of Stevia. I've read about Swerve and Monk Fruit as alternatives. I just wanted to get people's thoughts. I'm also wondering how the taste is.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I also avoid sweeteners with very little exception.
    I will always choose a liquid over a powder because powders are often cut with maltodextrin or other bulking agents.
    I've found 3 different ones that I'm ok using.
    Sweet leaf stevia drops. They do have a funny taste if you sweeten things moderately, but if you sweeten them lightly, you use so little the flavor is better. It's just not as sweet
    A blend of stevia and erythritol in liquid form. I've only ever found this in store brands. It's a little green bottle.
    And liquid sucralose, which is artificial but I actually buy this for my T1D daughter because she doesn't like the stevia because she sweetens things to a sweeter taste than I do and this one will let you do that without a bad taste.
    I find it I use the sucralose consistently it will trigger sugar cravings or increased hunger for me. I think it's just because it tastes overall sweeter and it's hard to get a small enough amount in the squeeze bottle form. But, I use it for keto desserts along with the stevia or stevia blend because I'm always making a dessert for a holiday and to share with others so I need to sweeten it as others would expect so I use sucralose so I can do that.
    As far as I know, swerve is actually ok too. Even in powder form because I don't think it has the bulking. I've heard monk fruit isn't the case. I have found liquid monk fruit before though and it seemed to be ok but I haven't actually seen it around at my stores lately.
  • mkinney07
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you for the input @Sunny_Bunny_! I've been wanting to make a dessert this weekend and I've been looking at some Pinterest recipes. I'm just trying to brainstorm ideas for sweeteners as all Keto dessert recipes call for some sort of sweetener. I don't mind Stevia in my coffee and I put it in my greek yogurt too. But I tried to make a mug brownie once, and it was awful haha. The Stevia was just too much! I'll have to look into the liquid sweeteners too. I used a Stevia liquid once. It was probably the one you mentioned, it was store brand in a green bottle. The taste was definitely a little different. I didn't use it as much back then though because it was really sweet. But maybe I could experiment with it in dessert!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    mkinney07 wrote: »
    But I tried to make a mug brownie once, and it was awful haha. The Stevia was just too much!

I've made mug cake without the added sweetener, and the sweeteners in the whey protein (sucralose & ace-k I think) were enough to make it taste good, so you might give that a go. Mug cake is nice because it's just a small serving so it can help with a craving without having a whole bowl or pan of something made up.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have recently tried Swerve and it's not bad. She uses it more than me. It seems to bake well from what I've tasted.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I really like swerve. I try to avoid using a lot of artificial sweetener but if I do, that's the one I use. I usually make a chocolate cheesecake mousse using the confectioners version (cream cheese, cocoa, swerve sweetener to taste, vanilla and whipping cream).
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I've used it for baking and my cookies turned out just fine. Some people say they experience a cooling aftertaste from erythritol but I haven't ever noticed that....I also used a NOW brand of erythritol (which is the same sweetener that is in in Swerve) that I got on Amazon that is 100% with no added anything, non GMO and was quite a bit cheaper than buying the Swerve at my local store here.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I like swerve. I've used it in a chocolate chip cookie recipe and I've made a cake and cheesecake with it. It tastes fine. It doesn't seem to cause cravings or anything for me. I think it tastes closer to real sugar than anything I've tried before.
  • mkinney07
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

I've made mug cake without the added sweetener, and the sweeteners in the whey protein (sucralose & ace-k I think) were enough to make it taste good, so you might give that a go. Mug cake is nice because it's just a small serving so it can help with a craving without having a whole bowl or pan of something made up.

Any chance you could share the recipe or a link? Thanks!
  • mkinney07
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I really like swerve. I try to avoid using a lot of artificial sweetener but if I do, that's the one I use. I usually make a chocolate cheesecake mousse using the confectioners version (cream cheese, cocoa, swerve sweetener to taste, vanilla and whipping cream).

Would you mind sharing the recipe?!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/sugar-free-mint-chocolate-cheesecake-mousse/
    I dont put peppermint in it, and sub the stevia for swerve confectioners (using the regular kind will make it grainy). I also don't use as much whipping cream so it's more of a frosting consistency than a mousse, but that's just personal preference.
  • BishopLord
    BishopLord Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Swerve comes in at least two types: Granulated, and powdered (for confectionery). The granulated type has a minty taste to it. The powdered version is not too bad tasting. Good for making Sugar Free "Almond Joys".
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've made this before.
    I think it says to use almond milk. I've used half n half with no issues. Could probably even use water if you wanted
    I've also made it with cocoa powder and shaved dark chocolate.

I wish I could enjoy this stuff but the fiber just kills me!

http://thebigmansworld.com/2016/09/02/healthy-1-minute-low-carb-vanilla-mug-cake/