Training for Half in May 2017!

Options
Ran my first 10k a few weeks ago, and now committing to running a half in May 2017! Anyone else on a similar timeline?

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    It won't be my first Half, but I have a HM in mid June. My training timeline for my first scheduled half was about the same, though I jumped in and ran one halfway through that timeline. Congrats on the first 10k finish and welcome to the insanity.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do another Half Marathon in May of 2017 as well
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I must be a Crazy Addicted Runner. I did 4 HM's this year and 5 10km events.
    Next year - The February and April events are definitely on my schedule - the rest hopefuls.
    Especially The Bay of Fundy and Canada Day.

Feb 5,2017 Chilly Willy HM - Yes a mid winter HM

Feb 26,2017 Hypo-Thermic HM - A great event - the best post race Buffet of any event I have ever been to - Hosted at a Golf Course so full change-shower room and restaurant where they have the Buffet.

March ???? Haven't found one HM close by

April 18,2017 Jasper HM - Running in the rolling Hills of the Valley Bottom - great scenery and a good event.

May 15, 2017 MEC Edmonton HM

June 18, 2017 Banff HM - Another Mountain community HM. Probably not as I will be in Taper for the Bay of Fundy next week.

June 25, 2017 5th Annual Bay of Fundy International Marathon - Half Marathon

July 1, 2017 Canada Day HM - There must be one somewhere? Hopefully Ottawa

July 17, 2017 Moose is Loose HM,

September - Don't Get Lost in the Woods
    September - Roots and Ruts Trail run
    November - 7 Peaks 7 Pubs - Inaugural event this year - Unofficial - non sanctioned - No chips, timers, starters, marshalls etc. Just an excuse to run and then have a Pint or two.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the VERY early stage of running, yet I have my eyes set on my first every HM April '17.
  • binderpaper
    binderpaper Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one early June so just a little after you! I'm a little confused about nutrition- do you just need more carbs? (I'm running 3-4 miles daily as of now)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one early June so just a little after you! I'm a little confused about nutrition- do you just need more carbs? (I'm running 3-4 miles daily as of now)

I'm at 55% carbs, 25% Protein and 20% fat for Macros now. At this time, it won't be as big of a deal, but as you get running more, having more carbs will help. It's mostly just eat properly, and adjust your macros so you feel the best with the mileage and food intake
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am recovering from a rather foot and multiple knee injuries. Doing cadence training right now since I have graduated from physical therapy. With any luck, I'll be doing a HM by May. Have not picked out a race yet though, since I am not going to force the mileage. I am up to about 15 miles per week, with my longest session being around 4 miles. So I have a ways to go.

@binderpaper You don't really need more carbs is you are following standard nutrition. The only time people really need to worry about carbs is for long endurance training and much higher mileage. Or if you are consistently eating low carbs. If you follow the standard MFP macros, you will be fine.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My first HM is 1st of May, aiming to run sub2hrs, but at 54 and 16 stone that will be interesting :) ... my biggest issue will be the pacing I guess, as I now run 5 miles in 42 mins, but have issues slowing down, and HM is further than 5 mile (or so I have been told :p )
  • MandyLou517
    MandyLou517 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just registered for my first half on May 14th! Not nearly as much time to prepare as I would like...but I'm happy just to finish really.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I just registered for my first half on May 14th! Not nearly as much time to prepare as I would like...but I'm happy just to finish really.

You could do that on your horse :)
  • cathyjones08
    cathyjones08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My first Half in Pittsburgh May 7th. Struggling with motivation and confidence. My longest run so far has been 6 miles in about 1hour. Doing a short run, medium run, and a long run each week as well as core exercises. Have had a sore outside hip. Anybody have any ideas? Also I could use any support I can get. Oh yeah the girl I was going to run with bailed on me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My first Half in Pittsburgh May 7th. Struggling with motivation and confidence. My longest run so far has been 6 miles in about 1hour. Doing a short run, medium run, and a long run each week as well as core exercises. Have had a sore outside hip. Anybody have any ideas? Also I could use any support I can get. Oh yeah the girl I was going to run with bailed on me.

Outside of hip will be IT band probably, but you'd be best off seeing a physio for a proper diagnosis
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am running my second half marathon on 14th May.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have one april 23 and another may 7. Will be tough as my new job six months ago has me standing on concrete floors all day. Really hurt my running. I dont expect to set a new pr but i should finish with no walking.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Early July for me - first one in several years
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Doing my 3rd HM in May. Did my 1st full in February. Hoping to PR. Was going to do back to back HMs but since my son has no soccer the following weekend, we're going camping instead. I'll still get some running in each morning though. :smiley:
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    finished the April 23rd a little over my previous time but for me still very acceptable 2:11. Now I have another tomorrow! This one looks better as very flat course.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    my first Half was May 8th. 3h 7m so nothing like your speeds, having said that, given the hills and terrain I don't think it too bad (560metres of elevation gain)

next Half is July 30th. Similar terrain
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Half marathon.... done!!!!

New PB in the bag!!!!! :drinker:
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Half marathon.... done!!!!

New PB in the bag!!!!! :drinker:

PB is what it's all about. Good job!