post 40 strength training

Options
l3long
l3long Posts: 153 Member
So, I am 47 (soon 48) and started doing a personal training program after work twice a week. I am not doing heavy lifting but am aiming for general toning and strength. My main concern right now is that on the days I do strength training I am starving even if I eat the calories I burn. I generally eat lots of protein and veggie and keep carbs low and complex. I eat protein with every meal and most snacks. Should I up my carbs?

Replies

• l3long
    Options
    I would enjoy connecting with friends post 40 who are also doing strength training
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That's normal, hang in there, it will eventually subside...I've noticed that when I increase weights or increase cardio that I get hungry and sometimes need more sleep.

If your goal is to lose weight, keep a deficit. And continue the strength training for body composition, and cardio for cardiovascular health.

eta: ladies that lift, feel free to add me
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am also 47. While I have been doing strength training, I have noticed since I have added cardio after my strength training for the day, I am more hungry myself. Sometimes I able to quelch it and sometimes I can't. If I space out my lunch (which is generally a sandwich of some type), I find that I get less snacky and am able to keep my hunger at bay most of the time. I also find when I don't get enough sleep, I tend to overeat the next day as well.

If you would like to add me, you are perfectly welcome to.
  • tigger33067
    tigger33067 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, turning 50 in March and I love lifting weights, strength training and a kick *kitten* bootcamp. I have found that for me, eating a good protein right before my workout along with water afterwards helps with hungry. I also make sure that I have a protein for supper with a bunch of veggies....
  • l3long
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, ladies. The hunger is subsiding. Tonight I start a running group so I will be doing ST Tues/Thurs and running Wed/Sat/Mon. I am happy to be adding in the cardio because I have a layer of fat over my relatively new muscle that I would like to shrink a little.

So am I right in understanding that to support muscle gain and fat loss I should 1) eat frequently 2) eat protein with every meal 3) keep carbs low and complex 4) eat lots of fresh foods and whole foods 5) eat protein immediately after working out?

I can't do whey which seems to be recommended post-workout due to issues with milk. what else would you recommend?
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Keep within your calorie deficit and meet your protein goal in grams (use the percentage as a guide), the rest will take care of itself.

eta: ...feel free to add me...
  • l3long
    Options
    So what should my total protein intake goal be in grams?
  • l3long
    Options
    Some places I look say 1g per lb of body weight but others say 1 g per kg. That is a big difference.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 45 . I aim for 100 grams .
  • Working2BBetter
    Working2BBetter Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 44. I aim for 1gram of protein per 1lb of weight. Hard to get in sometimes! I do it by eating protein with every meal and some snacks. I use whey, but there must be a protein powder option for you??? I love mixing protein powder in my morning oatmeal... Soooo Yummy!

Feel free to add me!
  • l3long
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I can use hemp protein or pea protein but their protein/carb ratio is much lower. Anyways, I ate protein with every meal and snack today and hit 78 g far from 1g per lb. thinking of cooking up a bunch of chiken breast to throw in everywhere tomorrow.
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    bizgirl26 wrote: »

100g seems doable for me at least until I can find a good whey substitute.

• l3long
    Options
    I managed to get 100g today but fruit and my veggie intake was down due to all the protein consumed
  • 1skholloway
    1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and I strength train twice a week. I can't eat whey either. I use soy protein which I know is controversial but it works for me. I eat protein with every meal and snack. I don't have a problem getting 100 grams of protein a day. I eat oatmeal a couple of times a day and I put peanut butter and protein powder in it. If I only eat oatmeal once a day, I put peanut butter in low fat Lactaid brand cottage cheese. I also eat almonds at snack time. I just recently became lactose intolerant as a result of an illness and I hope it goes away soon. I miss eating string cheese.

Like you @13long, I have a layer of fat over my muscles that I would love to lose. I am happy with my current weight. When I buy regular jeans, they fit like skinny jeans due to muscle and fat. I'm not happy about that either but I found boot cut jeans and I like the fit of them better.

I really need to work on getting rid of the belly fat which everyone loves to tell me I won't ever lose. :/ I continue to work on it anyway. I'm not a hardcore strength trainer. I take some strength training classes at the gym and do what the trainer instructs. I lift for health, toning, and to stave off Osteoperosis.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Over 40. Strength train Tues/Fri with cardio Mon/Wed/Thur and am lower carb higher protein.
    Love ur thread
  • l3long
    Options
    Thanks everyone. this thread is a great encouragement!! I have cut back on my carbs and am hitting 100 g of protein daily and am regularly running under my calories. The hunger is gone, too!! I just bought some of this to help on busy work days http://leanfit.com/completegreen-protein/

One of my strength training goals goals (a challenge by my brother) is to be able to do at least one chin up by my 48th birthday. In my six weeks of stength training I have decreased my offset weight for chinups from 80 to 30 lbs so I am excited about that. The running program I just started should also have me running 5-8 km by my birthday (late April) and I have signed up for a local run the week after.

Hopefully my lovehandles and tummy will shrink in the process :-)

48 should be good!!!
  • l3long
    Options
    I did it! I ate 125 g protein today but also got my goal of 25g of fibre and stayed under my calorie goal!!! I am a little hungry but I have enough calories left to have a little skinny chocolate (coconut oil, cocoa and stevia) to celebrate!!