Honey?

Marillian
Marillian Posts: 3,890 Member
I was wondering for those eating LC, do you ever use honey or maple syrup? One thing I really miss is having a little honey in my tea in the morning. My friend just gave me a jar of honey from her hive, and I'm feeling really deprived not able to have some with eating LCHF.
«1

Replies

  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,056 Member
    It's sugar. :s

    If you're not diabetic and genuinely aren't worried about slipping back into the carb abyss,* you can try to work a few drops into your daily macros.


    * But if you are, write "Drano* on the bottle and put it in a deep freezer until you've found someone to regift it to. ;)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,892 Member
    I've used it in tea when I have a sore throat without negative effect but YMMV.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Yep raw honey a little bit in warm water with lemon on the morning when I wake up. Pure honey has so many health benifits, I have an allergy to sugar but a little bit of raw honey is ok if it's not raw I can't touch it.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    If your a true low carber you should find an alternate. I cut honey out.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Just don't be lured into buying something I ran across that purported to be "sugar free honey." I looked at the nutritional information; it has all the carbs of real honey with, presumably, none of the health benefits.

    If at all possible, buy locally sourced honey. I don't know if it's true that local honey versus national brands helps with allergies. But local honey usually comes from small businesses and they're always on my buy-first list. We buy from a beekeeper about five miles from our home; can't get more local than that. I did ask exactly what these bees feed on. More than once I've detected a strong scent of bourbon; not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 435 Member
    When I use a sweetener it is almost always honey. I made a homemade fudge recipe that is low carb and delicious made with real yummy honey.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Marillian wrote: »
    I was wondering for those eating LC, do you ever use honey or maple syrup? One thing I really miss is having a little honey in my tea in the morning. My friend just gave me a jar of honey from her hive, and I'm feeling really deprived not able to have some with eating LCHF.

    I use local raw honey from time to time.

    There are a few decent sugar free maple syrups. I think Walden Farms is the one of the more popular sugar free maple syrups.

    https://www.waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html

    MapleWalnutSyrup.gif
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 462 Member
    Just don't be lured into buying something I ran across that purported to be "sugar free honey." I looked at the nutritional information; it has all the carbs of real honey with, presumably, none of the health benefits.

    If at all possible, buy locally sourced honey. I don't know if it's true that local honey versus national brands helps with allergies. But local honey usually comes from small businesses and they're always on my buy-first list. We buy from a beekeeper about five miles from our home; can't get more local than that. I did ask exactly what these bees feed on. More than once I've detected a strong scent of bourbon; not that there's anything wrong with that.

    I saw a comment awhile ago about "sugar free honey" and just about died laughing.... sure enough, they sell it on Amazon. Really!? It is either a chemically concocted goop or it is 100% label misleading since honey doesn't contain "cane sugar".

    For the OP... sounds like you have your hands on the bestest honey! You will only know how it reacts with your body and/or way of eating, is if you try it. If it kicks starts cravings, let it go. If it works, rejoice!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Marillian wrote: »
    I was wondering for those eating LC, do you ever use honey or maple syrup? One thing I really miss is having a little honey in my tea in the morning. My friend just gave me a jar of honey from her hive, and I'm feeling really deprived not able to have some with eating LCHF.

    I use local raw honey from time to time.

    There are a few decent sugar free maple syrups. I think Walden Farms is the one of the more popular sugar free maple syrups.

    https://www.waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html

    MapleWalnutSyrup.gif

    Honestly? If you're going to do "maple syrup," you might as well use the real stuff. And I mean the real stuff, the kind that comes from trees, not the "real" stuff like Mrs. Butterworth.

    Real honey and real maple syrup (and real molasses, for that matter) have beneficial compounds and an array of minerals that help to mitigate their sugar content (not entirely, mind you, but if you're going to sweeten stuff with something, these are better than pure sugar). Molasses is a fantastic source of magnesium, while maple syrup contains zinc and manganese. A little goes a long way, too, especially after you've gotten used to being without sugar in everything.

    I totally agree
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Honestly? If you're going to do "maple syrup," you might as well use the real stuff. And I mean the real stuff, the kind that comes from trees, not the "real" stuff like Mrs. Butterworth.

    Real honey and real maple syrup (and real molasses, for that matter) have beneficial compounds and an array of minerals that help to mitigate their sugar content (not entirely, mind you, but if you're going to sweeten stuff with something, these are better than pure sugar). Molasses is a fantastic source of magnesium, while maple syrup contains zinc and manganese. A little goes a long way, too, especially after you've gotten used to being without sugar in everything.

    Not sure if you are directing this specifically at me or just making a general comment? However I do not see the harm with someone using a sugar free maple syrup to cut down on sugar. If someone's main concern is cutting down their sugar intake and want something that does not taste bad then should they still use the real syrup?

  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,614 Member
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Honestly? If you're going to do "maple syrup," you might as well use the real stuff. And I mean the real stuff, the kind that comes from trees, not the "real" stuff like Mrs. Butterworth.

    Real honey and real maple syrup (and real molasses, for that matter) have beneficial compounds and an array of minerals that help to mitigate their sugar content (not entirely, mind you, but if you're going to sweeten stuff with something, these are better than pure sugar). Molasses is a fantastic source of magnesium, while maple syrup contains zinc and manganese. A little goes a long way, too, especially after you've gotten used to being without sugar in everything.

    Not sure if you are directing this specifically at me or just making a general comment? However I do not see the harm with someone using a sugar free maple syrup to cut down on sugar. If someone's main concern is cutting down their sugar intake and want something that does not taste bad then should they still use the real syrup?

    Mostly just a general thing. If you favor lack of sugar over overall nutritional value, by all means go for it.

    In my experience, though, there are better options than resorting to what amounts to artificially sweetened water, regardless of your carb levels.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    When I was doing 100g of carbs, I had no problem fitting some honey into my diet. But at 20g, trying to break a plateau, I would rather use the carbs on my favorite vegetables. It kind of depends on your current goals.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,629 Member
    For me, since I'm low carb I don't eat toast, pancakes or waffles unless for a rare treat so I have no reason to use honey or maple syrup. I do agree with Dragonwolf that you should use foods as close to the natural form as possible like raw honey or real maple syrup.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    I have no opinion, really, except local honey is delicious.

    I really just wanted to congratulate you on making it through chemo and radiation. <3