Anyone Doing CKD Care To Share Some Thoughts & Tips?

Options
gotblues66
gotblues66 Posts: 58 Member
I am on week 8 of keto, went 3 weeks before superbowl (my 1st allowed cheat day), and since then I've been trying to limit carb refeeds to once every 2 weeks. So I guess this qualifies as cyclical keto diet. I would love to go 6 days on 1 day off, but I can't see that being worth the readjustment period. On the two cheat days I've had so far, the 2nd and 3rd day after I get the keto flu pretty bad and cannot seem to drag my butt to the gym. This messes up my routine completely. I know every body is different, and I understand I should keep up hydration, sodium, potassium and magnesium during the readjustment period, but I'd like to know how CKD has been working for others, and if the readjustment gets better with time.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Keto flu is all sodium deficiency. If you're supplementing sodium and still feeling it, you just aren't getting enough.
    I think there is carb cycling talk in this link
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10513559/keto-cycling#latest
  • gotblues66
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Keto flu is all sodium deficiency. If you're supplementing sodium and still feeling it, you just aren't getting enough.

OK, great to know, I like salt, always thought a little too much for my good health until I learned it was yet another myth fed to us by misinformed health professionals, along with cholesterol causing high cholesterol, etc. I'll make sure i'm consuming plenty of salt on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday after a Saturday carb binge. I also wondered if the fasted cardio or training was necessary in CKD immediately after the carb refeed day(s), to hasten the re-entry into ketosis I presume, or if that was just a suggestion. I don't hit the gym again until Monday after work, and it's not in fasted state at that time of day.

• fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    CKD means chronic kidney disease to me. A simple test to see if it is low sodium. If you feel fuzzy, dissolve a small teaspoon of salt in water and drink it. It's it's low sodium you will better immediately.
  • gotblues66
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    CKD means chronic kidney disease to me. A simple test to see if it is low sodium. If you feel fuzzy, dissolve a small teaspoon of salt in water and drink it. It's it's low sodium you will better immediately.

Do you mean that your take on CKD is that going high sodium more frequently to get through the keto flu in re entering ketosis is hard on the kidneys?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    dsydorko wrote: »

Do you mean that your take on CKD is that going high sodium more frequently to get through the keto flu in re entering ketosis is hard on the kidneys?

lol, I think what fatblatta means is that the acronym CKD usually stands for Chronic Kidney Disease (actual common medical terminology), not that doing Cyclical Keto Diet is bad for your kidneys. ;)
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    dsydorko wrote: »

lol, I think what fatblatta means is that the acronym CKD usually stands for Chronic Kidney Disease (actual common medical terminology), not that doing Cyclical Keto Diet is bad for your kidneys. ;)

Yes. Exactly. I think ketosis is just fine for almost everyone.
  • gotblues66
    Options
    Ahhh, okay, lol, facepalm.