Recipe: Almond Butter no-bakes

catz789
catz789 Posts: 35 Member
I added the recipe in this app by scanning the bar codes on each ingredient and putting in the amounts. I am not sure if you can add it as a food in your account, so try to search for name exactly as above and let us know.

These have really been a help for the sweet tooth! They are only sweetened with honey. I made mine really big so it only makes 18 no-bakes. There are 166 calories in one! It is very dense and satisfying as a snack. You can eat them alone as a mid afternoon snack since they will not spike your blood-sugar due to the amount protein and healthy fat (almond and coconut). I will warn you that they do show up on your log with quite a bit of fat because Fitness Pal doesn't differentiate between "good" and "bad" fats. Also, you shouldn't eat more than 1 or 2 a day because during weight loss, I have read that you should try to limit nut butters to 1 or 2 Tbsp a day due to amount of fat. With all those cautions, I wonder if you still want the recipe!!! Oh well, here it is, enjoy (in moderation)!

Almond butter no-bakes
1 cup Almond Butter
1 cup Coconut flakes, unsweetened
2/3 cup Cocoa powder
1/3 cup Honey
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup Almond Flour
(Optional 1 tsp Coconut Oil if needed to moisten - mine needed it)

Mix all together. Form into 18 balls and put in refrigerator.

Replies

• kindelcollier
    kindelcollier Posts: 8 Member
    Could u use freshly ground peanut butter instead of almond butter?
  • catz789
    Yes!
  • mnmilnes
    mnmilnes Posts: 32 Member
    Yum! Thanks for being so loyal in keeping up with nutrition advice and answering questions.
  • catz789
    Oh, and i forgot to say that you can leave the almond flour out as it was optional in the recipe.

Almond flour is not actually flour as it has no grain in it, it is simply almonds (nuts) ground into a fine powder with the consistency of flour. This may be obvious to you, but I thought to mention just in case someone doesn't realize this. Almond flour is a protein, not a carb.
  • mnmilnes
    Does honey have the same addictive components as table sugar?
  • catz789
    I really don't know! Honey would be preferable to white table sugar since honey is natural and minimally processed. However, I don't know if it is less addictive. Does anyone here know?
  • mnmilnes
    I ask because that is an area I'm working to overcome. I find when I start limiting my sugar I start obsessing over the next time I can have it. I'm working on it, but am starting to think I may be one of those people who should not eat it.
  • catz789
    Megan, I enjoyed our conversation about this topic! I will summarize for others. We talked about how some people are moderators that can eat a little of a food item and be fine while others eat a little and obcess over it and end up overindulging on the food item. We observed that a person can be a moderator with some types of food, but not with other types of food.

We came up with some ideas for how to deal with the food item that is troublesome for us. One extreme is an idea a dietician told me a few weeks ago. It seems drastic to me, but may help some: she suggested you abstain from the food item and tell yourself that you cannot eat it because it is not a food item for you!! The other extreme is an idea I heard from an online fitness person: she said that she eats intuitively, when and what her body wants to eat. A middle approach I heard was to eat only 2 desserts a week, one on Friday and one on Saturday. That way you don't feel like you're giving up the food item entirely, but you've put limits on it.

Other ideas?
  • sglasscock2
    sglasscock2 Posts: 5 Member
    I have done some research into the whole real maple syrup/honey/agave vs white sugar/brown sugar etc. Real maple syrup and honey are better than white sugar but still have very high sugar content. Agave nectar has half the amount of sugar measure for measure. Dark brown sugar is better than light because it uses another naturally occurring sugar, molasses. Light brown sugar uses high fructose corn syrup. Your body actually needs glucose to perform daily functions. The more you give it, the more it stores for future use, the less you give it, the more it uses the stored glucose. That being said, it is not bad to have treats in moderation. The key is to make it cost you something when you do. Refer to Lisa's fat burning graph... Make your body work to process the sugar and you eliminate the negative effects of the glucose storage. In practical terms, eat proteins first or use almond flour or gluten free oat flour in your recipe to kick the protein content up and make your body burn glucose to process the protein... Does that make sense?
    I find having a serving of fruit helps satisfy my sweet craving and is a better choice than my other alternatives.
    I have a recipe for healthy Reeses eggs if anyone is interested.
  • catz789
    Very insightful, Sarah!

I like your comment, "Make your body work to process the sugar and you eliminate the negative effects of the glucose storage. In practical terms, eat proteins first or use almond flour or gluten free oat flour in your recipe to kick the protein content up and make your body burn glucose to process the protein."
  • mnmilnes
    Very helpful! Thank you both :) I'm starting to discover a couple things. First, if I make myself have the protein and wait a couple minutes before I get the treat I am much more self-controlled. Also, I've noticed since I had cut sweets out for a while that when I did have them again I ate until I had a specific feeling. That specific feeling seemed to signal satisfaction. When I diet (for lack of a better word) I catch myself trying to obtain the same feeling with healthy foods. Turns out I can't, so I wind up over eating healthy foods seeking the same sense of satisfaction I get from junk food. I can even be full and continue eating to get that same level of satisfaction. What I'm learning is the signal my brain is sending me, when I load up on junk food, that I thought was fullness is in fact not fullness, but something entirely different. I get plenty full on healthy foods, but what I don't get is the same feeling I have after 6 Oreos. My brain is misinterpreting the signal. The feeling is better than fullness, and that's why my body craves it even if I'm full. What to do with this understanding I don't know yet, but I consider it a gain to be mindful of this.