Where to get GF Butter & MCT Oil in Canada without breaking the bank

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @dsydorko - Also, can you buy from Costco online? They may not have it in YOUR store any longer, but they might have it online. Or something like Sam's Club Discount Warehouse or even Walmart Online if that is an option where you live - WM's here in the states can ship to YOUR STORE for free, or to your home for a shipping fee, etc.

EDITED TO ADD: These listings won't always show up when using the mighty google feature.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I tend to be really healthy except my Dystonia (which is now a mild case). Eating keto has helped that (much to my shock). I'm not big on supplementing since I never deemed a need to. I take a 100mg of magnesium/day and recently switched from chelated glycinate to citrate which is 1/3 the cost (same dose). I've not noticed any change with my $15 magnesium glycinate and my $5 magnesium citrate. Both keep my leg cramps away. That and increased sodium. I'll stick with $5 for citrate.

Last August I thought it would be prudent to take a multi-vitamin. The one I tried wreaked havoc on my system and I generally have no digestive issues. I took it 2 weeks before I figured out it was the vitamin. About a week ago I realized the vitamin is scored so started taking 1/2 a dose: at night on a full stomach. No problems with it. It must have been too potent for me full strength.

Regarding the Brain Octane: it is C8 only and coconut oil only. Depending on what one reads, some prefer pure C8 coconut oil versus a C8-C10 mix OR a mix coconut oil and palm kernel oil. Like mentioned above, I have no opinion at this time as to what might be "better". At $50/quart for me for Brain Octane, I'll find my minimum dose if I deem it is of benefit.

What led me to MCT Oil is there is an MCT Oil Diet for Epilepsy. I'm not Epileptic but have a neurological movement disorder (Dystonia). Just as I felt keto was worth a try, so to did I feel the Medically Therapeutic MCT Oil Diet is worth a shot. We'll see.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Hi @dsydorko Are you in the Western provinces? I get my MCT oil from Nutters, I'm in BC.... something like 29 dollars for 946 or whatever ml ( the US quart equivalent). I'm on my tablet at work but when I get home I'll get you the info on it.

I just got some MCT oil (Alpha something?) at Nutter's last night. $25, with 20% off for their Power Tuesday- Score!

I would try local health food shops for the grass fed butter. Or if you know any friendly (smaller) farmers, or smaller dairies in your area.

Good luck!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    [quote=" I wish I could get the Carrington Farms one they sold way back when at Costco. My gosh that stuff was almost like butter (eek!).

[/quote]

The Costco I shop at (various ones in Edmonton), no longer carry Carrington Farms, but I haven't noticed much difference with the Kirkland coconut oil that they do offer. It is still organic, cold pressed, and unrefined. I have been told that Costco puts things out for tender to existing brands to package/produce the Kirkland label for them. This is why products sometimes disappear (vendors can't keep up with demand etc) and also why "store brand/Kirkland" products are usually such good quality. For example, Kirkland Vodka is currently Grey Goose! Long story short, originally disappointed when I didn't see Carrington Farms, I have been very happy with Kirkland's coconut oil (unfortunately I no longer had the emply CF container to compare addresses of where it is manufactured....)
  • gotblues66
    gotblues66 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 so funny you mentioned the vodka, just bought it for the first time last weekend. I'm no connoisseur but I guess it's good. Bottle's so huge it doesn't fit in my cupboards and will probably last me 3 months. I'm not a hard liquor drinker, but keto stole my beer and wine so I'm trying something different. Back to coconut oil, yes I like the one they sell now too, but CF to me just had slightly better smell and taste.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    cawood2 wrote: »
    Hi @dsydorko Are you in the Western provinces? I get my MCT oil from Nutters, I'm in BC.... something like 29 dollars for 946 or whatever ml ( the US quart equivalent). I'm on my tablet at work but when I get home I'll get you the info on it.

I just got some MCT oil (Alpha something?) at Nutter's last night. $25, with 20% off for their Power Tuesday- Score!

I would try local health food shops for the grass fed butter. Or if you know any friendly (smaller) farmers, or smaller dairies in your area.

Good luck!

Yep, there you go, I buy on power Tuesday too, lol. Our power Tuesday is the first Tues of the month. I buy the Alpha Supreme as well. To me it's tasteless - I take two TBLSP straight w. no gut issues and there is NO coconut flavour at all. Sometimes the oil slickness makes it hard to swallow but that's only if I'm in that 'texture' sort of moodiness.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I am in Manitoba and buy Alpha's Supreme MCT oil. I like it and don't mind the price, it lasts me a long time.
  • gotblues66
    gotblues66 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yep, there you go, I buy on power Tuesday too, lol. Our power Tuesday is the first Tues of the month. I buy the Alpha Supreme as well. To me it's tasteless - I take two TBLSP straight w. no gut issues and there is NO coconut flavour at all. Sometimes the oil slickness makes it hard to swallow but that's only if I'm in that 'texture' sort of moodiness.

I called my nearest Nutters and of course they were out of stock on any of the large sizes. All they had was 16 oz (about 473 ml) for $22-ish. So my $5.99/250ml Co-op MCT oil deal kicked it's *kitten*. But if this Power Tuesday is coming up next week (would be 1st tuesday of March) I should try to make it out there before they close and check it out.